71 Honda Scrambler 175 tach spazzing out

Heliarc

I hope this is ok here. If not, delete/move as you see fit.

My tachometer seems accurate up to about 3K-4K. Anything above that it instantly starts bouncing at 12K. My cable appears to be ok, I unhooked it from the tach, started the engine and it spins. That's about all I can say.

Got a video of it, here's a link. Start at 1:00 if the link doesn't do it for you.

https://youtu.be/d75AV35CGuY?t=1m

Thanks!

That doesn't look like a bad cable, IMHO -- if it was dry, it'd be bouncing back and forth. I'd guess bad gauge but I'll leave it to someone else as to why it pegs up to 12000 and stays there.

Fixed. I took the tach off today and right away I noticed the mount plate was bent up from a wreck or something. I had to cut the tach open. Once open I noticed the little bell that spins with the cable was a bit crooked from the part that moves the needle. I GENTLY chucked the bottom end where the cable screws on in my lathe and gave it a tweak to get it at least eyeball straight. Hooked it up and it works nice now. I can't say if it's exactly accurate but it's one hell of a lot better.

Heliarc said:
Fixed. I took the tach off today and right away I noticed the mount plate was bent up from a wreck or something. I had to cut the tach open. Once open I noticed the little bell that spins with the cable was a bit crooked from the part that moves the needle. I GENTLY chucked the bottom end where the cable screws on in my lathe and gave it a tweak to get it at least eyeball straight. Hooked it up and it works nice now. I can't say if it's exactly accurate but it's one hell of a lot better.

Nice!

Back
Top Bottom