www.jadusmotorcycleparts.com

www.bisonmotorsports.com

www.speedmotoco.com

www.cognitomoto.com

www.townmoto.com

www.sparckmoto.com

www.Moto-Madness.com

www.pistonsociety.com

Author Topic: I did the ton (CB 400T)  (Read 508 times)

Offline dirceucorsetti

I did the ton (CB 400T)
« on: Jul 19, 2017, 13:24:27 »
I just want to share with you an accomplishment of mine. After redoing the carbs, crossover and a lot of tuning I finally got the bike to 100mph. And she stayed there. Man, what a joy. Unfortunately there is no motorcycle specific Dyno to tune the bike so this is the way I have to test her.

I also had to get a new sprocket and stiffer clutch springs.

For anyone wondering, I have a Honda CB400T from the late 70's.

Offline nateb

Re: I did the ton (CB 400T)
« Reply #1 on: Jul 19, 2017, 15:37:37 »
Nice work man🤙🏼

Sent from my iPhone using DO THE TON

Offline nateb

« Reply #2 on: Jul 19, 2017, 15:41:27 »
Nice work man🤙🏼

That's a good looking brat

Offline dirceucorsetti

« Reply #3 on: Jul 19, 2017, 16:29:23 »
That's a good looking brat

Thanks!!

Offline crazypj

• Split personality, I fake being smart
« Reply #4 on: Jul 20, 2017, 12:24:30 »
 8) If it's a later model 'Super Dream' 400N (1981~82) it may be good for around 108mph. Some of the later ones had different cam timing and were actually pretty quick (plus didn't handle too bad either) Is it stock dual disc? If it's a 400T, good going
« Last Edit: Jul 20, 2017, 12:26:13 by crazypj »
'you can take my word for it or argue until you find out I'm right'
I gave my girlfriend an orgasm the other night, but, she spat it back at me
 Some humans would do anything to see if it was possible to do it. If you put a large switch in some cave somewhere, with a sign on it saying 'End-of-the-World Switch. PLEASE DO NOT TOUCH', the paint wouldn't even have time to dry
 Itís not worth doing something unless someone, somewhere, would much rather you werenít doing it  (Terry Pratchett)
CB360's,  http://www.dotheton.com/forum/index.php?topic=11736.0
XS650,  http://www.dotheton.com/forum/index.php?topic=11922.0

Offline dirceucorsetti

« Reply #5 on: Jul 21, 2017, 15:32:26 »
8) If it's a later model 'Super Dream' 400N (1981~82) it may be good for around 108mph. Some of the later ones had different cam timing and were actually pretty quick (plus didn't handle too bad either) Is it stock dual disc? If it's a 400T, good going
The previous owner had the duel disks installed. It is an 1982 Brazilian model which translates to the 1978 US model. We have the CB450DX that is probably enough strong to hit the 108mph. As we have a 30% ethanol mandatory mix I doubt the timing is aggressive enough to get a 400cc to the 108 mark.

Cheers!

Offline crazypj

« Reply #6 on: Jul 21, 2017, 17:30:03 »
It's more impressive as the 'South American' models were often de-tuned to run with high ethanol fuels (even back in 80's)
The Yamaha RZ350 YPVS was a 130mph bike in Europe but the few South American' imports I rode were struggling at 85mph.
 Pity the timing is fixed, I know it's possible to pull generator rotor and elongate the mounting holes into slots but it isn't easy. I think you can get around +/= 5 degrees by modifying the trigger mounting holes (although you'll probably have to drill out rivets?)
Have fun, ride safe
 Some humans would do anything to see if it was possible to do it. If you put a large switch in some cave somewhere, with a sign on it saying 'End-of-the-World Switch. PLEASE DO NOT TOUCH', the paint wouldn't even have time to dry
 Itís not worth doing something unless someone, somewhere, would much rather you werenít doing it  (Terry Pratchett)

Offline cbrianroll

« Reply #7 on: Jul 21, 2017, 20:01:38 »
Nice man! My gauge only goes to 85 so I guess I'll never do it lol

Offline dirceucorsetti

« Reply #8 on: Jul 31, 2017, 09:45:29 »
It's more impressive as the 'South American' models were often de-tuned to run with high ethanol fuels (even back in 80's)
The Yamaha RZ350 YPVS was a 130mph bike in Europe but the few South American' imports I rode were struggling at 85mph.
 Pity the timing is fixed, I know it's possible to pull generator rotor and elongate the mounting holes into slots but it isn't easy. I think you can get around +/= 5 degrees by modifying the trigger mounting holes (although you'll probably have to drill out rivets?)
Have fun, ride safe
Nice! Did not know that. We received the first batch of bikes directly from Japan and those are known for having more power, probably due to the timing setting.

We have 30% of ethanol mixed with gas (sometimes more) so this probably also has an effect. She was always very lean on the mix so I had to rejet the carbs with larger gicleurs to make the mix even. That probably helps.

Offline crazypj

« Reply #9 on: Aug 01, 2017, 18:51:12 »
Good possibility you have te full power one. The only issue with te first ones was the generator 'low speed' coil would fail and it didn't come without the completes stator. (including flywheel which 'never' went faulty) Later models were able to get stator only but you would probably need UK or Australian replacement as they had same (or even 'better' timing tan almost everywhere else