Sprockets Not Aligned...Please Help

Harsh

Been Around the Block
I am helping a local guy get his DOHC4 1980 CB750K up and running and have come across an issue I can't figure out.

A little back story. The guy bought it off of CL after being told it only needed a hundred bucks or so to get street worthy. I have found so much wrong it is laughable. Wiring...a rats nest, end caps not installed on swingarm, wrong rear axle, wrong rear axle brake side spacer, stepped spacer not installed in rear wheel, no cush drive rubbers, spacer missing from engine mount, and on and on.

I installed the chain yesterday, but when I went to adjust and align it I noticed the sprockets were not aligned. With a straight edge across the rear sprocket there is a 1/8" gap at the front sprocket. The rear axle and spacers were replaced with the correct parts. I do not know if the stepped spacer is the correct one, but the hub flange sits flush with the hub. I found the stepped spacer in a bag-o-bolts that came with the bike.

I am not sure if the hub flange is the correct one. The wheel and hub were powder coated, but the flange was not. So that has me asking why? Why would you leave it the stock flat black when everything else is a nice shiny black powder coat? I know Honda changed the height of the flanges on different models to run wider rear tires so I wonder if the flange is not the correct one. I am fairly certain the front sprocket is the stock one.

My measurement like the pic below is 1 3/8" or 35mm.
Carrier%204.jpg

Gap at the front sprocket.
JG9kUcB.jpg

Would it be possible for someone to measure their hub flange and let me know the measurement they get? According to the fiche the same hub flange was used on 1979-1982 CB750K's. Or if you have any other suggestions on what to check I would be greatly appreciative.

Can't help with sprocket carriers but I seem to remember the nuts/studs on sprocket only clear swing arm by 1/16 of an inch or so.
Spacers are on correct sides of hub?

I have more than 1/16" of an inch of clearance. The spacers are on the correct side.

sAX2TNA.jpg

Hmm, yep, that's definitely way out of line. If the wheel is centred it has to be wrong sprocket carrier. That's a PITA when someone has done a 'pic-n-mix' in the past (or maybe original was damaged and seller was told 'they are all the same?)

Back
Top Bottom