I have a cam chain question...

cbrianroll

Coast to Coast
Why does a motor need to be warm and running to adjust the cam chain? I've been battling my 79 xr500s chain adjustment while warm and in the bike. I've followed the manuals recommendations and it didn't work....4 times..i even tapped lightly. So being frustrated I pulled the motor and the head. The chain was loose so I loosened the nut and bolt, tapped lightly and it tightened. Is this gonna be bad to run the motor now? It would be great to not have to tear down the motor anymore. Thanks

the motor "grows" with heat expansion

your adjuster must have been stuck

Yes, to exemplify: if you tighten it on a cold engine(should always be just a little slack even with hot engine) and the engine expands - the cam chain is going to destroy camshaft and crank bearings.

Dang....i figured because expansion but I was hoping lol...any thoughts why it won't adjust when running? I guess I'll pull the jug and dig in.....thank you both! I did have smidge of slack in it...

before you tear it all apart get on the net and seek out some forum expertise

some of these bikes are known to stick when adjusting them and there is s "trick to them

so you use a screwdriver to help tension them or pin punch to push the plunger excetera

ask around and see if there is one for your bike

Back
Top Bottom