Speedometer help

rossnesselrode

First time post! Been reading for a while.

I have a 76 Yamaha XS650 win stock gauges. The speedo didn't work when I bought it, the needle just bounced up and and with the road (tach works fine). I figured it was the cable, pulled it out and it was mangled at the drive end. So, I replace and re-greased the cable..... nothing. The needle stopped bouncing but stick at 0. Just did the drill test (hooked drive end to a drill) with the key on and nothing. I've yet to crack it open. Thoughts? Help? If it's for sure dead than I'll probably do an aftermarket speedo, so suggestions are appreciated. I attached a pic of the speedo and bike (hopefully).

Sent from my iPhone using DO THE TON

Speedometer

Attachments

• IMG_0269.JPG
    IMG_0269.JPG
    2.6 MB · Views: 213
  • IMG_0301.JPG
    IMG_0301.JPG
    925.1 KB · Views: 192
Are you certain the new speedo cable is engaging in the drive / speedo unit?

Are you spinning the drill the right way?

Other than that, you could buy a 2nd hand one off eBay or get yours fixed (that's not cheap though).

hillsy said:
Are you certain the new speedo cable is engaging in the drive / speedo unit?

Are you spinning the drill the right way?

Other than that, you could buy a 2nd hand one off eBay or get yours fixed (that's not cheap though).

I tried both ways with the drill. Is there a way to check that it's engaging? I cleaned out the speedo unit with a sewing needle and regreased it all...

I'm thinking a cheap replacement will be the way the go.

Sent from my iPhone using DO THE TON

There's heaps of aftermarket replacement options available (Koso, Acewell, etc). Just depends on how involved you want to get with wiring them up / how deep your pocket are.

Back
Top Bottom