www.speedmotoco.com

www.cognitomoto.com

www.townmoto.com

www.sparckmoto.com

www.Moto-Madness.com

www.pistonsociety.com

www.steeltowngarage.com

GET DTT UPDATES ON FACEBOOK AND TWITTER

Author Topic: Need some help identifying these wheels please.  (Read 254 times)

Online VonYinzer

• DTT SUPPORTER
Need some help identifying these wheels please.
« on: Aug 12, 2017, 10:46:46 »
Picked these up from a friend a few years ago. Going to clean them up and run them on a project, but need to figure out what they're from so I can get the correct bits and pieces.

21" excel front, 18" rear.
Any of you MX folks know? Thanks!

Sent from my SM-G920P using DO THE TON mobile app

Like a river that don't know where it's flowin'
I took a wrong turn and just kept goin'

Offline Tim

• Administrator
  • DTT SUPPORTER
    • DO THE TON
Re: Need some help identifying these wheels please.
« Reply #1 on: Aug 12, 2017, 11:09:18 »
What bits do you need?

I'm guessing bearings, machine a sprocket offset bracket to line it up with the engine and some brake calipers?  Maybe a 530 or 520 sprocket to match the front / chain setup?

You're going to plumb in a rear m/c etc or run with no rear brake?

"Quality . . . you know what it is, yet you don't know what it is. But that's self-contradictory. But some things are better than others, that is, they have more quality. But when you try to say what the quality is, apart from the things that have it, it all goes poof! There's nothing to talk about. But if you can't say what Quality is, how do you know what it is, or how do you know that it even exists? If no one knows what it is, then for all practical purposes it doesn't exist at all. But for all practical purposes it really does exist."

Online VonYinzer

• DTT SUPPORTER
« Reply #2 on: Aug 12, 2017, 12:10:15 »
What bits do you need?

I'm guessing bearings, machine a sprocket offset bracket to line it up with the engine and some brake calipers?  Maybe a 530 or 520 sprocket to match the front / chain setup?

You're going to plumb in a rear m/c etc or run with no rear brake?

Bearings, calipers, new smaller more street friendly (and 520) sprocket. Rear axle, as it looks like it's the correct size for the frame so I'll just need to whip up some spacers and a hanger for the caliper.

The sprocket already lines up. Or I should say, it's close enough that just a few shims will get it to 100%.

Definitely running a rear brake. Will mount a small MX style master to the frame and modify the rear brake lever to wprk with it.

Online VonYinzer

• DTT SUPPORTER
« Reply #4 on: Aug 12, 2017, 13:21:56 »
Throw some measurements up.  They look like RM wheels, but they could be anything. 

I think they are RM. When I pull the bike back apart this weekend I'll get some good numbers.

Offline clem

• DTT BOTM WINNER
  • static fluff
« Reply #5 on: Aug 12, 2017, 23:22:24 »
Black hub = something from the eighties. Maybe very early 90's but MX got away from the black stuff until the metal mulisha was founded.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using DO THE TON mobile app

"After every war there are soldiers who refuse to surrender. To this day there are still thousands who cling to their 30+ year old motorcycles, thinking that the war is still on, refusing to concede that the four-strokes have won"

1972 DS7 http://www.dotheton.com/forum/index.php?topic=45886.msg505995#msg505995
1983 CB550sc bobber http://www.dotheton.com/forum/index.php?topic=30599.30

Online VonYinzer

• DTT SUPPORTER
« Reply #6 on: Aug 21, 2017, 22:01:04 »
Black hub = something from the eighties. Maybe very early 90's but MX got away from the black stuff until the metal mulisha was founded.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using DO THE TON mobile app

Both seem to be RM250 (thanks Irk). Front rotor looks mid 90s though. Same bolt pattern as an 80s hub?