(Pics) Sr250 blown up. (Thoughts, options, etc.)

mkb423

Hey guys! First off my name is Michael and I'm from the hills of Tennessee. I recently bought an 80s model sr250 "bobber" project for $300. And after many attempts to get it to fire, I decided to tear the motor apart. (Side note: this is my first motor tear down/ rebuild ; I'm not very educated in engines however I'm trying to build this bike by myself and learn as I go.) after the tear down I found that the piston ring was broke. The cylinder sleeve was scratched and the piston was damaged as well. I'm not sure what my next move will be but I'm trying to make sure I understand/know all my options before picking a route to take... that's where you guys come in!! I was told by a friend that I could "hone" the sleeve, "sand" the piston and buy oversized rings. Is that possible? Seems like a temporary fix? Can I bore the the sleeve I have now and put a tad bit bigger piston in it? Or is the best to replace the piston, sleeve and rings all together?

Sent from my iPhone using DO THE TON

mkb423 said:
Hey guys! First off my name is Michael and I'm from the hills of Tennessee. I recently bought an 80s model sr250 "bobber" project for $300. And after many attempts to get it to fire, I decided to tear the motor apart. (Side note: this is my first motor tear down/ rebuild ; I'm not very educated in engines however I'm trying to build this bike by myself and learn as I go.) after the tear down I found that the piston ring was broke. The cylinder sleeve was scratched and the piston was damaged as well. I'm not sure what my next move will be but I'm trying to make sure I understand/know all my options before picking a route to take... that's where you guys come in!! I was told by a friend that I could "hone" the sleeve, "sand" the piston and buy oversized rings. Is that possible? Seems like a temporary fix? Can I bore the the sleeve I have now and put a tad bit bigger piston in it? Or is the best to replace the piston, sleeve and rings all together?

1ca7985544acf5277d6b7099ee1f38e0.png
8ac7d61444f6dbd1d4c49ca95c2655e0.png
4b765771447a3c762a40391eb4747b68.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_1064.JPG
    IMG_1064.JPG
    2.2 MB · Views: 245
That piston looks junked. Bring it to an automotive machine shop, have it measured and get the next size up piston and ring set, and send it out to get bored to the next size. That damage is way past honing.

advCo said:
That piston looks junked. Bring it to an automotive machine shop, have it measured and get the next size up piston and ring set, and send it out to get bored to the next size. That damage is way past honing.

Ok, thanks for the info. Another question if I may, if I do the slightly bore The cam, what other parts, if any, will I need to change to make it run smooth. Valves? Cam? Jets?

To check the valves for sealing, I like to tilt the head on its side (so intake or exhaust is pointing straight up) and pour some gasoline in. Give it a few minutes and make sure no gas seeps through the valves to the combustion chamber. Repeat on exhaust valve. If fuel leaks you will likely need new valve seats cut. Do yourself a favor and replace the valve seals while you have it apart.

If you go up to the next size bore you probably won't have to jet but depends on many factors that you won't be able to tell until the bike is running

Back
Top Bottom