Gr650 salvage help

Kolby198

Hey guys. I've got a gr650 my friend gave to me this winter. Recently I've started trying to fix it up. Engine only has 29,000km and works well. The problem I'm having though is with the carbs. I can't seem to balance them right. I've cleaned them out 100% twice by boiling them out while completely disassembled and spraying air through all the passages. I know they are all clean. Now she needs a spritz of carb cleaner to get going but after it's fine. Touch the gas though and boom, dead. Got it to the point it will rev 3/4 of the way but as soon as I try it in gear it dies. I would use some help here.

I have a decent amount of garage mechanic experience on bikes engines but not so much in carbs. Any tips?

Sent from my iPhone using DO THE TON

Hey Kolby. Nice to meet you

Use brake cleaner to check for ait leaks around the carb boots. You may have a lean condition caused by leaky insulators or insulator o-rings. Other items on the list would be torn diaphragms, possibly maladjusted idle screws. Are your float heights ok? Is the stupid vacuum peacock hooked up properly? ( that one got me on my Tempter awhile back)

Cookie said:
Hey Kolby. Nice to meet you

Use brake cleaner to check for ait leaks around the carb boots. You may have a lean condition caused by leaky insulators or insulator o-rings. Other items on the list would be torn diaphragms, possibly maladjusted idle screws. Are your float heights ok? Is the stupid vacuum peacock hooked up properly? ( that one got me on my Tempter awhile back)

Haha yea the vacuum line cost me a lot of time when I was working on my virago. Made sure that it was done right on this build. I did the spray check for air leaks and got nothing. The diaphragm is fine. Made sure of it during the rebuild. How would you check float heights? As for the mixture screws I know they aren't right cause I had to spend some time screwing around with them just to get her started. (See what I did there?)

Any other ideas? Would be a shame to get stuck here.

Thanks for your reply

Torn diaphragms is a possibility. Have you bench synced/vacuum synced the carbs?

The float heights are checked with the bowl and gasket removed. Tilt the carbs so that the tang on the float is just resting against the spring loaded plunger of the float needle (NOT depressing it). Measure from the gasket surface of the carb body to the top of the float (technically it would be the bottom if the carbs were right side up). Check your manual for the specs, every carb is different but its usually somewhere between 18-22mm.

Here is a helpful diagram for float height adjustment

carburetor-float-height-03.png

advCo said:
Torn diaphragms is a possibility. Have you bench synced/vacuum synced the carbs?

The float heights are checked with the bowl and gasket removed. Tilt the carbs so that the tang on the float is just resting against the spring loaded plunger of the float needle (NOT depressing it). Measure from the gasket surface of the carb body to the top of the float (technically it would be the bottom if the carbs were right side up). Check your manual for the specs, every carb is different but its usually somewhere between 18-22mm.

Ok il try that next. Il see if I can get a video of it to show you.

Kolby198 said:
Haha yea the vacuum line cost me a lot of time when I was working on my virago...

Any other ideas?

Also check the little air induction tubes that run from the bottom of the carbs to the intake ports

Here's a link to the Factory Suzuki Service Manual in .PDF format.
[glow=red,2,300][glow=red,2,300][glow=red,2,300][glow=red,2,300]https://www.google.ca/url?sa=t&source=web&rct=j&url=http://www.vanluik.eu/GR%2520650%2520tempter%2520Service%2520manual%2520(eng)%25201983-1984.pdf&ved=0ahUKEwi68dK5xeDVAhUKyoMKHXi0DvsQFggwMAE&usg=AFQjCNEl2IPa4xUwxixYh4fKDYGKAiY8Sw[/glow][/glow][/glow][/glow]
A description of the air induction system is in section 1, page 15-16 (page 20/21 of the .PDF) as well as pretty much any specs, troubleshooting and wiring diagrams you night need.

Cheackes thoae and I hooked them up alright. Have gotten the time to check the floats but when I inspected them at first they seemed fine. I've been wrong before though.

I have to take my cx650e to the mechanic to get my carbs tuned. Il throw the tempter on the trailer and see if the mechanic has any good ideas.

I don't have any experience with the GR650 specifically, but all the carbs I've seen have the same recommendations - they have to be TOTALLY disassembled, the bodies immersed in a (preferably ultrasonic/vibrating) tank of cleaner that does not eat away the throttle shaft seals (like Pinesol and water or the Yamaha-brand carb cleaner mix) to thoroughly clean out the internal passages. While this is going on you need to manually clean all the brass bits, carefully cleaning those teeny holes with single strands of wire. Then carefully re-install all removed items and reset idle mix screw and throttle plate settings (i.e., bench sync). You say you can't start the engine unless you add some fluid - your idle systems are not working properly (probably still clogged), and you cannot go past 3/4 throttle (still within the idle/midrange needle-diaphragm systems, not yet into the high-speed jets). Don't know about the Tempter, but most all the other carbs I've seen specify a fuel height, not a float height. Check your repair manual (you NEED it). If fuel height, run a short length of clear line from the bowl drain up the side of the carb body. The fuel level should be something like 5mm below the bowl/body joint.

Interesting. The manual I've got is the owners manual from online. I'm still looking for the digital repair manual so I don't have to pay through my teeth. The bike can idle around 2000rpm it's just getting it started that's abit tough. I've boiled it out twice now. So before cleaning them again I'm going to verify the fuel height like you mentioned. Il get back to you when I've tried it. Thanks for the input.

Kolby, the link I posted in my last reply has the repair manual from Suzuki. It's free.
(I just verified That my link works and now I have the manual on my phone lol)

Oh gotcha, I thought it was the service manual. Thanks for it. Hope it didn't take too much of your space ;)

Nah, it's only 34MB. Besides, I can always delete it if I part/sell my Tempter.

Ok so I'm going to clean the carb again. I was thinking about getting an ultrasonic cleaner. Is it really worth it? Or is it better off to boil it i pine sol?

If you've got the extra scratch, I'd go for the US cleaner.
I just had a thought at work today: the carb manifolds on the gr have rubber to mount the carbs, bonded to a metal base that gets sealed to the head with o-rings. The rubber can separate from the steel and the o-rings can crack, which will cause air leaks and high idle, stalling, etc.

That's a good idea, It crossed my mind but I totally forgot to going that. Il see if I can try it out tomorrow

Look on CL for an ultrasonic cleaner... specifically dentist office sales... I got a big Fisher Scientific lab quality one that was over $1k when new for $40. It from the 70's but works as good as any and has a huge tray compared to the hobby or harbor freight varieties. It has a great heater on it, I can do 4 carbs and a ton of other parts all at once. I use it to clean my guns too, I can fit rifle barrels in it up to 28" if I wedge them in there

The most important thing you need when cleaning carbs is compressed air. You need a good strong source - over 100psi. You need this to blow all the crap out of the jet passages.

Ultrasonic cleaners and carb dip are nice but if you don't have compressed air you're wasting your time.

Plus one on the compressor. I've got one that I use to thoroughly clean out my parts (as best I can). I looked around for US cleaners near me but there seem to be none in Montreal. There's a trusonic 5l for abit 160$ Canadian I think il go for. Time to scrape together that cash and take out the loose change sitting in my couch.

I know this all pints to the carb but could it have something to do with the engine itself? Maybe something with the valves?

Back
Top Bottom