Dynatek timing help

quadracer351

Coast to Coast
Trying to time the new dynatek ignition on my cb750 k4 statically. I followed the directions perfectly but I'm still having it fire before the advancer is fully advanced. I can't move the plate any further to retard the timing and I don't want to start messing with the actual pick ups too much. I was thinking maybe drilling out the mounting holes a little bit to get more rotation of the mount. From what I read I shouldn't have had to change a tooth on the cam chain or anything. I'll take a video in the a.m.to fight a better view of what's going on. Any advice very much appreciated!

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

Have you verified the timing with a strobe light and the engine running?

It should only be firing at the full advance mark as you reach about 4,000 RPM (depending on make and model).

They're really tough to time with the Dyna, IMO. You need to turn the cam to full advance when static timing it. Make sure you're doing that. It's possible that the plate is flipped, although that shouldn't be the case. Dynatek is very receptive to helping, so don't hesitate to contact them.

When I bought my K8, the PO had the Dynatek so far off it wouldn't even run (though he swore it "ran before he parked it"). It had me baffled for a bit, until I downloaded the install instructions. I then removed the entire assembly and reinstalled per the instructions. I set the static timing with a test light, she finally fired right up, then verified base/advance timing with a timing light.
You shouldn't have to be redrilling holes on the plate. My guess is, something isn't installed correctly, or it's not the correct kit for the bike.

Sonreir said:
Have you verified the timing with a strobe light and the engine running?

It should only be firing at the full advance mark as you reach about 4,000 RPM (depending on make and model).

Says the advance on my bike is possibly 2500 rpm. I was going by the wrong notch on the wheel. I got it timed perfectly statically but didn't hook it up to the test light yet. I did fire it up to make sure the wiring I was messing with was all okay. It started right up but now I'm getting dark exhaust. I didn't get that when I had crummy 70$ coils on and the points still in. I'm getting 12.4 volts through both coils but maybe I'm trying it wrong but I can't get the ohms with my meter even though it has that option. Keep getting an error reading. Don't know if the exhaust is due to the coils, the timing of the mixture. I'm guessing the mixture is good seeing as how Chinese coils and original points didn't cause it to smoke?

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

Back
Top Bottom