New Age Cafe Racer - Honda CB750 -79 from Finland

Exhibition weekend was last week and it went great!
We had a blast!

Here are few pics from the event

Nice to see lots of people looking and talking about my own project...

As you may have already guessed, I didn't won in any class :D
Bike is way too unfinished, so we will have to wait until next year...

You also might note that rear cowl is looking like s**t.
I made it in one day from woodboards :eek: I thought that it will look pathetic if I don't make some kind of rear cowl.

Base is almost finished

Lots of grinding and some more grinding

This is the final shape and after that, I used filler, then some more grinding and finally put paint on it.

This will not be even close to what I'm looking for to do.

Also had a major backfire. From this picture you can see my problem

I don't have enough room for two middle pods, because rear shock has its capsule/container in the way...

Well I just bought new shock(s) and thinking of doing something uncommon... Stay tuned...

Today my friend is welding my sidestand shorter, because bike is way more lower than original, sidestand cannot be used right now.
He will also weld offset front sprocket.

Chain will be 530.
Old sprocket will go to turning machine (lathe) and it will remove all teeths from the sprocket. Also centerledges on both side will be shaved off.
New sprocket will have its one side centerledge to go.

After previous step, they will be joined together.

In two weeks I will receive my seat from upholstery. Can't wait to see it.
Next week my bike will go to mastermechanic, who will make custom exhaust for my bike. So it will stay in there about 2 weeks.

There might be a little silence in here for two weeks, but I will get back to as soon as possible 8)

I have question and I hope you guys could help me.
This might be very stupid, because I haven't done my homework/googling enough. Didn't find answer quickly...

What kind of options there is to upgrade DOHC engines eletronic ignition?
And does these thing have already electronic ignition?

Not sure about the K bikes, but the Fs have electronic ignition. It can definitely be upgraded if a lot of engine work has been done to make sure it runs as good as possible. Dyna is available but Ignitech is supposed to be even better. For the Fs one of the best and easiest upgrades is replace the coils with CBR F2 coils, which are just plug and play. Not sure if that applies to the Ks as well.

Sent from my iPhone using DO THE TON

LightsOut said:
Not sure about the K bikes, but the Fs have electronic ignition. It can definitely be upgraded if a lot of engine work has been done to make sure it runs as good as possible. Dyna is available but Ignitech is supposed to be even better. For the Fs one of the best and easiest upgrades is replace the coils with CBR F2 coils, which are just plug and play. Not sure if that applies to the Ks as well.
I have been looking for Dyna-kits, but everyone I have found is suitable only for SOHC engines.
I haven't put effort enough for the search and still like to here suggestions from you guys ;)

Coils are already upgraded!

john83 said:
Good looking work so far!

Thanks! :)

Marcushyden said:
I have been looking for Dyna-kits, but everyone I have found is suitable only for SOHC engines.
I haven't put effort enough for the search and still like to here suggestions from you guys ;)

Coils are already upgraded!

Thanks! :)

Here's a DOHC kit on DCC (this one's with coils, didn't look if there was one without)
https://www.dimecitycycles.com/vintage-cafe-racer-caferacer-bobber-brat-chopper-custom-motorcycle-dyna-high-performance-ignition-kit-cb750-cb900-cb1100-618-861.html

Bike is currently in a workshop for a custom exhaustsystem. Work will be done in mid-March.
Workshop will also fabricate plug for stopping oil spreading all over the engine from tachometercable hole (idk what it is called ;D)

Before we took it there, we finished shorting the sidestand.

Shortened sidestand. Bike is way more lower than original, so it had to be done.

Welded little pin to the frame, which will stop sidestand hitting the frame. Have to buy a little rubberpiece end of it, so it will not scratch the paint

It came perfect

Friend of mine finished welding the offset front sprocket.

Looks amazing and works perfectly

Have to do minor work for the chainline. It is almost straight, but not enough yet

My seat came from the upholstery.

I'm digging it :-*

Looks great! Don’t think I’ve seen a custom welded front sprocket before, but that’s some really neat welding. I believe there are offset sprockets available from somewhere in Germany, not that you need it now.

LightsOut said:
Looks great! Don’t think I’ve seen a custom welded front sprocket before, but that’s some really neat welding. I believe there are offset sprockets available from somewhere in Germany, not that you need it now.

If you know the company who makes these offset sprockets in Germany, please let know, because you never know when you need on of those :)

That's some serious welding - I didn't know you could effectively weld hardened steel like a countershaft sprocket. Looks like two sprockets became one? Turned down another to use the splined section?

Too bad the weld will be invisible once installed - that's some pretty welding.

I am not sure these sprockets fit your bike, you will have to measure the shaft, but check Speed Moto out. www.speedmotoco.com/category-s/6.htm or PBI Sprockets, www.shop.pbisprockets.com/product.sc;jsessionid=9D81BFE4A4E43B6242C22057A77DD544.p3plqscsfapp004?productId=465

Tim said:
That's some serious welding - I didn't know you could effectively weld hardened steel like a countershaft sprocket. Looks like two sprockets became one? Turned down another to use the splined section?

Too bad the weld will be invisible once installed - that's some pretty welding.
I didn't know either, but somehow my friend did it. He said also that this thing will last and do not break in two pieces, with power bike has atm.

Popeye SXM said:
I am not sure these sprockets fit your bike, you will have to measure the shaft, but check Speed Moto out. www.speedmotoco.com/category-s/6.htm or PBI Sprockets, www.shop.pbisprockets.com/product.sc;jsessionid=9D81BFE4A4E43B6242C22057A77DD544.p3plqscsfapp004?productId=465
I will check these out

cb250nproject said:
Insane build can’t wait to see it finished
Thanks! 8)

Marcushyden said:
If you know the company who makes these offset sprockets in Germany, please let know, because you never know when you need on of those :)

Krüger & Junginger - http://www.krueger-junginger.de/html/versatzritzel.html
Ritzel is apparently sprocket in german :)

UPDATE!

As I told in my previous post, the bike was in a workshop for exhaust modification and to plug tachometer hole.

Around 1,5 weeks ago, I found used carbs from Germany. Those should be much easier to adjust/set/tune to work with pods.
I called to the seller and we talked several times. Carbs are in good condition and straight from the bike, so they haven't been laying down for long.

I paid upfront and crossed my fingers, that the package will arrive and it includes right items ;D

Finally, I got the package and these beauties were inside:

From 1985 Suzuki GSX-R Mikuni VM29SS Flatslide carbs
The package included 6 sets of different size jets.

I delivered carbs to the workshop as fast as I could.

They changed the distance of the carbs to each other, so it could fit.
They also made sleeves for intake rubbers to fit them.

Yesterday I picked up my bike and I think the work they have done, is brilliant 8)

Tachometer hole was blocked by detachable piece.

Carbs

While they made this fitment, they checked the condition of the carbs. Everything was good. The only thing they fixed was twisted choke rod.
Still, have to clean outer shell of the carbs.

I ordered new pods, although those velocity stacks look really good 8)

What about the exhaust?
Firstly I wanted 4-2 exhaust system with two exhaust tips.
We put that idea aside because the chain was so low, that exhaust tip on that side would look terrible...

Also, we needed as much ground clearance as possible because the bike is way lower than original.
The 4-1 system would have so huge connector that I didn't want it.

The workshop suggested that we do 4-2-1 system

First pictures of connector pipes:

Here are the pics:

I know this thing will not be the quietest bike in a hood, but the silencer will have a tube, wrapped in silencing fabric, so will see if it makes a difference...
If not, I have to buy a real silencer

This Friday I am finally able to move in the new garage and can get to the business!
Three most crucial jobs are to get chainline corrected, make a new bracket for rear shock(s) and to fabricate rear cowl.

Things happening in my garage and summer is coming fast!

My own deadline that I set to myself is 1st of June (yes, this year! ;D)
If I don't face any major problems, I think I can finish this before June

I'm pretty sure I mention in my previous posts that I have to move my garage to new location.
It happened two weeks ago.

Found a new place and I'm sure that I don't run out of space ;D

Recap of whats going on

Bought new rear sprocket and chain. The chain is 530 X-ring and rear sprocket is Snell's 40 tooth.

We've been fighting with the chainline to long. Finally I can say it is straight! Problem was solved with that offset front sprocket.

It helped a lot when I bought chainlining tool. It doesn't looks bullet straight in this pic, but should be

We replaced rear chain tension bolt, because old ones were damaged and they had very small head
I have ordered new wheel bearings also.

First time ever, I was able to fit seat to the bike with tank on.
I like it a lot and I was able to get more riding feeling when I sat on the bike.

(Please, do not note that awful rear cowl ;))

Still able to find few "cafe racer" twists or touches from this bike

I like the lines in this pic

Some of you notice earlier that I might have a problem with my fuel petcock.
That because it is located in back of the tank and tank is leaning forward a bit.

So will it work? Do I get enough fuel out of it?

We tested this out:
Capacity of the tank is 15 litres
Petcock in On-position -> 11 litres came out easily
After that, petcock in Reserve-position -> 3 litres came out

Overview:
Basically there is 1-2 litres fuel that cannot be sucked in the engine.
I think that 12-13 litres is okay. I'm used to fill up my tank when I'm running around 50% of capacity of the tank.
And we are not building touringbike ;)

New licenceplate holder came and minor modifications have to be done.
New ignitionswitch came and I already figured out, where I want to locate it

Next week I'm planning to do smaller tasks, because I'm waiting my new rear shock to arrive.
(I'm not going to use those two cheap china shock I ordered)

I'll get back to you, when I have something more to share 8)

It may not have much of an effect, but it may. But, a 4-2-1, you want 1 & 4 connected, and 2 & 3.

J-Rod10 said:
It may not have much of an effect, but it may. But, a 4-2-1, you want 1 & 4 connected, and 2 & 3.

I'm feeling stupid right now, but what are you saying?
I don't know which question did you answer :-[

Marcushyden said:
I'm feeling stupid right now, but what are you saying?
I don't know which question did you answer :-[

He's referring to your exhaust. Because of the firing order on these, best performance is achieved when exhaust port 1/4 and 2/3 are matched together. You have 1/2 and 3/4 matched.

What Irk said.

This is the proper routing for a 4-2-1 header.

Something or another to do with exhaust scavenging.
b2e8a0737f77c75b2f43b7afc9117fe5.jpg

Sent from my VS988 using Tapatalk

Back
Top Bottom