78 Goldwing Carb Flooding....

cbrianroll

Coast to Coast
I rebuilt it, it was fine, traded bike. 1 year later the new owner blew air into carbs to "clean it out" now it leaks alot according to hin. I'm getting it back tonite (woo hoo!) But what could have been damaged and could crap have been blown into motor? Obviously I have to pull and clean buy im tring to trouble shoot abit before I get it home. Thanks for your thoughts

More likely that the air blew in and stuck a float. Easy fix sometimes by tapping the float bowls. Otherwise remove and replace the float needles.

Sent from my SM-T813 using DO THE TON mobile app

pull th edipstick check th eoil for gas change if needed

with fuel shut off and kill switch in the off position

pull the plugs STAND WELL BACK AND TO THE SIDE crank over to relieve and hydraulic lock and spit out any leaked in fue;

do this in a safe area with rags over teh spark plug holes a gl1000 can spit fule 10 ft easy if it has a jug full

so dont let anyone be around or they may get sprayed DAMHIK

Thanks guys! I dug into it last night. Gonna get a complete rebuild kit since it's off, new needles also. I'm guessing when I replaced one needle and seat that it wasn't own. Needle was corroded, others are perfect. Man...gas was everywhere lol definitely getting an oil change. Being unlucky....i dropped the carbs and broke a float bowl support.....weeeeee

i may have a 78 rack kicking around but i wont get to look till the weekend

get a randakk kit itsvthe best of everything

That would be great if you did! Keep me posted! Left rear #4, I was going to make a brass standoff...tstandoff...tap/thread into body. Definitely going with randakk!! I've ordered from him before...great stuff! Did you ever make to Nevada? Or wad it somewhere else?

Any luck on that rack? I haven't made a new post yet, still have lots to do with the frame and paint everything....so no hurry....just wondering. Motors on the bench, it's niw in project mode, getting normal tank, making seat area more comfy. Really want dual webers....but no money for that lol

Sent from my SM-G930V using DO THE TON mobile app

to hot to go to the loft now

i will check in the morning sorry been slammed

Randakk makes a post repair kit, too. Follow his advice and use only Honda float valves and seats. I lucked out and found a lightly used set for mine on eBay. It's the only way to get the inlet screens if they are missing as all of mine were.

"Love 'em all.... Let God sort 'em out."

Thank you very muc sir! I just got his master overhaul kit. I repaired Post in the past on single carb so I did a repair on this one I was just hoping to get a cool replacement. Drill ed hole in post screwed in little screw, threaded the body and gasproof jbweld stuff just for extra. Will be ordering a kit just in case though LOL I did follow his advice and used a OEM Honda new one I had one needle seat that got bad and corroded somehow. Love your biuld by the way looks fantastic I'm slowly getting closer to mine LOL I am only at the engine stage so far.

Attachments

• 20180630_182957.jpg
    20180630_182957.jpg
    82.1 KB · Views: 230
Hey, that's looking great! I did my carbs five years ago when I first bought her. Tried the Keyster kits but ended up stripping them out for Randakk's o-rings and lurking eBay for the float valves. I did my leak testing with isopropyl alcohol and a Mighty Vac. This was because our garage is in the basement and my wife is sensitive to gas fumes. Glad I did, because they came apart several times to correct things.

Use the 91% or better. If any is left, it will mix and burn. One of my favorite solvents - but it IS flammable! Doesn't burn your hands, though (even if you get it under a ring). Of course, carb cleaner is a necessary evil for cleaning them.
cbrianroll said:
Oh man...alcohol! Brilliant! I hate gas.

Sent from my SM-G930V using DO THE TON mobile app

Back
Top Bottom