Question on XS650 serial numbers

Tim

Administrator
Staff member
Well, I've read the charts, and think I understand the serial number ranges, but I'm stumped.

My XS650 engine carries a serial number 447-900907. It is apparantly a 1977 engine.

However, '77 engines are supposed to start 447-700100. There is no doubt it is a 9 at the front of my serial number.

Somehow I don't think they made 200,000 XS650's in 1977, so I'm stumped. Need to order parts for the rebuild but some parts are a little more year-specific than others.

My brothers (once I cash that cheque ;)) 1971 XS1B is a matching bike which is nice - same serial on both engine and frame.

Actually I got pointed to 650central.com which has a much better model chart.

Mine is a Canadian model XS650SE engine, 1978. Serials started at 447 - 90...

Looks like I'll be buying most of my new parts from him - he dropped me an email and we're going to talk on the phone tomorrow to discuss my needs.

I like www.mikesxs.com for the slick website, nice prices and free shipping, but I ordered tapered steering bearings as a test order from them on May 7, and they arrived today, May 23. Seems like a long time, and I'm getting nailed for $10 duties etc. on a US $38 order.

So we'll see if I fare better at 650central.

I'm surprised it took that long to ship. I've ordered a bunch of times from Mikes without any issues. Only the last time did I have a problem--he switched two orders by mistake so instead of handlebars I got a box of spokes. It was a small error--both were $70 worth of stuff. But he shipped out the bars right away and told me to just keep the spokes. But they're for a heritage special so I can't use them anyway.

I'll still likely order some stuff from Mike's, but there are some things he doesn't have which 650central does, like brake pads for the XS1B's front drum brake for instance.

Tim .... just be prepared to wait for your goods from 650 Central. I deal alot with Micheal ... great guy, but the stuff is coming from California and the hang time can be long, depending on how quick our Customs clears the goods.

It's amazing how the mail works. I ordered all my gaskets etc. from Mikes on Thursday, and got the invoice in the mail on Monday. It looks like Canadian Customs had my steering head bearings for 10 days before I got them.

Bottom line is stuff makes it quick from Florida to Canada, but then languishes in customs if it smacks of anything commercial.

Now that I scored the XS1 front wheel with a 19" alloy rim laced to it, with NEW brake shoes, I don't need to order those from 650 Central. I'm also picking up a 35mm front end locally, which means I can run Progressive springs and the Telefix clipons I bought. 650 Central does seem to stock standard size piston rings, while Mikes doesn't which is odd. I still might just go 1 or 2 sizes up with new pistons just to have everything totally fresh.

650 Central does seem to stock standard size piston rings, while Mikes doesn't which is odd. I still might just go 1 or 2 sizes up with new pistons just to have everything totally fresh.

Tim ... check with your local Yamaha dealer, as parts are still available.

Yeah, I should do that. Used to buy Honda parts all the time from McBrides, just around the corner from my house. Being able to walk back and forth was very helpful (especially during their close down sale when I bought Progressive springs for my BMW for $25 :)).

I've ordered .5mm over pistons and rings from Mikes. Don't think I'd do any better than his prices locally anyhow. I decided to go to the 2nd oversize just to make sure we're getting all fresh cylinder in the bore. Gord called me and I'm pushing the limits on the clearance now, so might as well start with fresh pistons rings and cylinder surfaces.

Back
Top Bottom