wiring through my new handlebars

rphilli550

Been Around the Block
so i recieved a set of clubmans from another member and now i cant figure out how to go about wiring everything through them. my stock handlebars have a hole in the center cut out for all the wires to travel through but the new bars do not. what should i do?

Drill a hole?

Seriously... if it's only electrical you will likely need to lengthen the wiring to make it through the bars.

If there are cables running through the bars then they will probably bind in the tight bends of the clubmans.

so i have to lengthen the wires?

im totally new to all of this so any info would be greatly appreciated.

All depends on the bars you had on before. If the stockers were as long or longer from the ends to the hole then you're ok... if they're shorter then the wiring from the hand controls will likely not reach anymore.

But duplicating the holes in the bars is easy with a step drill bit and a drill press (hand drill is possible with a vise and a steady hand).

Post a pic of the current bars and the clubmans.

Nope - so here's the deal.

Your old Honda bars were set up for internal wiring. Your clubmans aren't. The control pods where all the wires originate are likely not 'notched' to allow the wiring to run externally. If either is, it will likely be the right side (with the starter button).

So, you have 2 choices. If your clubman bars (pics please) are not closed at the end of the tubes you mount the controls to, you can drill holes just like the ones on your old bars. Takes a bit of work and make sure you file them smooth after.

Or, you can dremel notches into the housings of the controls, so the wiring can simply run externally ziptied to the bars. If the controls are a little old and not mint condition, I'd go this route.

You don't need to lengthen the wires.

alright i understand now.

pics

clubs.jpg

clubs1.jpg

clubs2.jpg

clubs3.jpg

So yes, you could add the holes for the wiring. The holes that are there now look like the holes for the pins in the control pods that hold them in position and prevent them from turning on the bars.

Let's see some pics of the control pods showing the opening on the 'inside' face, i.e. the end of the pods that is closest to the centre of the bike. I'd like to see if there are factory notches already in there. Honda stopped wiring internally at some point likely due to the time required to shove the wires in.

Wiring internally on the clubmans won't make them any prettier, as you only hide the wires for about 3 inches before they exit the bars.

Bluemetaldog had the same situation not too long ago - she replaced the one pod she had without a notch with a newer one as it fell apart anyhow.

the bike is off getting new tires and wont be available for pictures until it gets back in a few days but on the stock bars there is a hole cut out in the middle where all the wires enter and travel to their designated controls.

rphilli550 said:
the bike is off getting new tires and wont be available for pictures until it gets back in a few days but on the stock bars there is a hole cut out in the middle where all the wires enter and travel to their designated controls.

In the case of the clubmans the wires will run out the end of the straight portion as there is no hole between the bent portion and the straights.

In my mind it would still look tidier than external wiring.... but that's just me.

thats not a bad idea, dan thanks! i was trying to fish a peice of string with a nut tied to the end through that bent part last night...was wondering why it wasnt dropping...haha. thanks for the tip

anyone have a picture of similar bars on their bike? im trying to get an idea for how close the ends of the bars come to the wires...i like dan's idea but it might look goofy if the wires are extended more than a couple inches from the bike to the bars. know what i mean?

I don't think anyone knows what you mean - there will be lots of wire extending from the bars to the wiring harness connection points and you need enough slack to allow proper travel of the steering.

Hey Ryan,

What I typically do is not to wire the harness into the bars. I just notch, (I can see DrJ cringing right now), the controls and runthe wires on the outside, and hold the wires in place with small black zipties, osimilarily if you put on clip-ons. I dont like drilling bars.

I would just notch the left hand controls, as I believe that the right hand controls on the cb550 are already notched underneath.

I hope that helps.

N

The housing of the left control pod where all the wires begin so they can be routed on the outside of the bars while still allowing the controls to be cinched down on the bars properly.

Get pics up of the two sets of controls making sure to show us the openings for the handlebars on the 'inside' i.e. the side of the controls closest to the centre of the bike.

Back
Top Bottom