1974 XS650 Seat Question NEED QUICK HELP!!!!!

CanadaDan

1977 BMW R75/7 'Mojo'
I'm found a seat ending VERY soon...

Need to know if it might fit the XS... and since mine hasn't arrived yet... I NEED HELP!

At its widest point the seat pan is 11". Overall length is about 29 5/8". Width at the front (closest to the gas tank) is about 7 3/4".

Hope someone can help in say the next 20 minutes :eek:

Might be close... found this for a 75...

XS650dimensions.jpg

Never mind... :p Over and gone to someone who wanted it more

I did try for it... looked too nice not to (skip the photo with the hideous vinyl... that seat has potential!

http://cgi.ebay.ca/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=190118027855

fe0b_1.JPG

jasonmorrow (sp?) on the board has the other seat you're looking at. It appears to be designed to work with the stock tank. Should bolt right onto your existing hinges etc.

Tintin said:
jasonmorrow (sp?) on the board has the other seat you're looking at. It appears to be designed to work with the stock tank. Should bolt right onto your existing hinges etc.

Same make as my beemer... and USD$175 :eek:

Yea i do have that other seat. And i promptly cut it up to make it fit right. I did away with the stock hinges and latch. It never sat flat and wuldnt latch tightly, it was also way too wide at the front to be comfortable. I trimmed it close to the frame up by the tank and then flared it out where my ass started and my legs ended. I wouldnt suggest it based on being a bolt on. I had to do as much work as a "universal seat". It does have a great shape though, i like the longer tail on it, it covers the tire instead of ending at 12 oclock.

I welded a crosspiece into the frame and ran bolts down through the seat to snug it down. I also added the stock "snubbers". The rear needs some more bracing, i'm going to try to brace with one more cross piece near the back of the seat and then some sort of bracing to the taillight housing, since i dont want to have any bolt showing on the side of the seat.

weldedseatbracket.jpg

tankandseatmount.jpg

I'm working on a seat right now...so far my materials include...a $10 gel seat pad from Canadian tire. $12 for 4 sheets of 2'x2' garage anti fatigue mats from Walmart, also a $14 memory foam lumbar support from walmart, $20 worth of marine grade vinyl from Fabricland, and a free seat cushion from an airplane or boat or something that i found at work...it says something about being a certified flotation device.

So far there are two layers of the garage mat right on the fibreglass seat. The memory foam sucks, the Honeycomb gel seat is pretty good, but i may throw all that shit in the garbage cause this seat cushion that i found at work loks perfect, and it can be all on its own and shaped, no layers of crap.

I'll take a few pics before i cover it. I got quoted $500 in town for foam work and vinyl for this seat !!

Jason - any issues with tire clearance now that you're running flat against the frame rails with the seat?

I plan on cutting off the loop behind the rear shocks and welding a flat plate across the area by the upper shock mounts for strength and for mouning seat/etc. Was a little concerned with rear tire clearance at the limits of travel.

I dont think so...i ran 13 3/16" shocks, so it sits a little higher...but i think i have some pics from the side and the rear.

Yep here you go....tons of room

leftside.jpg

taillow.jpg

For $500 I'll fly to your place and upholster your seat. That's crazy.

Yeah you can find a better quote thatn that.
I paid 140 for mine here.

Frig, it'd be cheaper for ya to mail it to me, get it upholsterd and mailed back, lol.

P.S. Paint it first.

Back
Top Bottom