Cl350 "Scrambler" Exhaust on Cb350 Mounting Issues

jordan_carson

Hello DTT! This is my first post however I am certainly not new to this forum. I have learned an incredible amount thanks to you diligent members and hopefully will learn a little more after this.

6 months ago I purchased a 1970 cb350k2. After the basics - carb rebuilds, gas tank rust removal, new tires, new fluids, new battery and of course resetting the points - she fired right up.

Since then I have updated the R/R and installed new wiring to solve the weak charging system.

She was riding like a champ until 80 miles into a 90 mile ride the stock muffler snapped at the collar. I love the stock mufflers on cl350's so I decided to pick up a set off ebay. They are in decent shape but did not come with any mounting hardware. This is where I am having difficulties because even after reviewing schematics I can not tell where they mount to the frame. Any advice would be appreciated.

Also as of now I have the stock cl headers and mufflers but in the near future I plan to purchase some sort of shorty mufflers to replace the stock ones. Any suggestions on what type of muffler would work best since the header pipes do not leave much room to work with. Also mounting I assume would be another issue.

Thanks!

Attachments

• jhicks2.jpg
    jhicks2.jpg
    26.8 KB · Views: 2,828
  • jhicks.jpg
    jhicks.jpg
    35.9 KB · Views: 2,931
Welcome to DTT! The CL350 exhaust has two different mounting points. The mufflers have a mount on the rear of the frame near the "grab handle" (parts #8 & 9 in the following diagram) and the headers use a mount (parts #13 & 14) that is secured behind the swingarm bolt lock nut. You'll need both mounts to probably secure the exhaust because that much weight could crack the head or the header (which it sounds like you experienced already).

honda-cl350-scrambler-350-k3-usa-muffler-cl_bighu0028f401301_70bf.gif

Thanks for the quick reply BarnBurner !

After looking through images with a better idea of where the mounts are connected I have run into another issue. In some years the cl headers look as if they are mounted to the airbox cover? But I do see where the mufflers are mounted behind the spring at the "grab bar" mount like you said. Am I simply misreading the image? Or is this a different mounting system all together?

Also as I am attempting to mount on a cb350k2 how can I properly mount the headers if it is supposed to be connected at the airbox like these images show?

Again thanks for any and all help.

Attachments

• cl350.jpg
    cl350.jpg
    102.1 KB · Views: 6,464
  • cl3502.jpg
    cl3502.jpg
    78.8 KB · Views: 6,359
I'm pretty sure the shorties will fit straight on the end of the cl350 headers. Theres a set with the same setup in the FS section. Also, I'm unsure, but I thought the CL muffler/headers were a 1 piece deal. In which case, just be aware you dont cut the headers too short.

You are misreading the image. All Cl350 exhausts were the same except for the early models with the single black "suitcase" muffler. I believe the header mounts were all the same though. Here is the header mount on my CL350 without any shields and no sidecovers/airboxes.

11688535195_5bc4ab8a25_b.jpg

As you can see there is a little bolt at the top to connect the two halves of the mount together around the headers. I think that is what you are seeing in the photos you posted.

To mount the headers take the shield off and separate the headers. The bottom pipe will slide out of the muffler but the top won't - its welded on. These need to be separated because the angle of the exhaust ports relative to each other are obtuse and you won't be able to cram both headers in properly without a lot of force. once each header is installed you can slip everything back together, reconnect the bottom header to the muffler, place the collars and tighten up the finned joint to the studs, and then secure the mounts.

Thanks again barnburner. This is exactly what I needed. I've been able to find the mount on ebay so in a week or so I'll post some images of the finished job.

chucklump said:
Can I put the older suitcase exhaust on my 73 cb350?

Yes. All CB350 and CL350 exhaust are generally interchangeable because the heads are the same . If you are running sidecovers, though, you may run into a problem because I believe some CL models had different shaped side covers to avoid touching the hot exhaust pipe and melting. I can't confirm this 100% though. If you were to switch from a CL exhaust to a CB there may be some issues with clearance for the footpegs, kickstarter, brake pedal, etc.

The 'Vinmoto' picture of the CL has the later (1972) left side cover which allows air filter access w/o removing the exhaust. Also that picture doesn't show the support brace coming up from the swing arm bolt

Hi there, can anyone guide me as to how to refit a CL350 exhaust into the cylinder head? I had to dismantle the exhaust to get at the air cleaner on the left hand side to replace it. Now I'm stuck as to how to get it back together. The main thing is the two short flanges - do they go over the pipe or do they first go into the head and then the wide lip header pushes in between the flanges? They seem to fit nicely round the pipe and not the header. Confused!
Thanks for any help.
Matthew

If you look a little higher in this thread you will see a picture of the diagram for the exhaust assembly. Number 2 (the collars) go around the pipe before the... what I would call a lip on the end of the header before it goes into the head, and then number 1 (the out ring thing) go over the collars holding them in place. then the exhaust slides into the head. Make sure you have the copper crush gasket in between the head and the exhaust pipe as well.

BarnBurner said:
Yes. All CB350 and CL350 exhaust are generally interchangeable because the heads are the same . If you are running sidecovers, though, you may run into a problem because I believe some CL models had different shaped side covers to avoid touching the hot exhaust pipe and melting. I can't confirm this 100% though. If you were to switch from a CL exhaust to a CB there may be some issues with clearance for the footpegs, kickstarter, brake pedal, etc.

not sure if it's the same on the 350s
but I do know that the 360s the collars are different

Back
Top Bottom