12V R/R For SOHC Hondas - Now Available

Sonreir

Oregon
DTT SUPPORTER
Suitable for use on any of the four cylinder SOHC Hondas made before 1979.

Designed for use with all battery types.

Available for $55 from our website with free shipping in the USA.

http://www.sparckmoto.com/products

Attachments

• DSCF4339.JPG
    DSCF4339.JPG
    627.3 KB · Views: 374
is this the 12V 3 Phase Regulator/Rectifier? if so whats the difference from the 3 phase to the 12V Single Phase Regulator/Rectifier?

This is the three phase, yes.

The difference is that different motorcycles have different types of alternators and so the way the regulator works differs depending on the type of alternator the bike has.

Our single phase R/Rs are designed for a single phase permanent magnet alternator. SPPM alternators use a single winding of wire wrapped in alternating patterns around each pole of the stator and either end of the winding exits the alternator and goes to the rectifier (to turn the AC into DC). Electricity is then generated by spinning the rotor, which is permanently magnetized. Electricity output increases as RPMs increase and so it ensure the correct level is maintained, the regulator directs all of the excess away from your wiring and components and back to ground.

Three phase alternators use three separate windings instead of just one, and the windings are all joined together at one end inside the stator. This results in three wires exiting the alternator to the rectifier. Three phase is generally more efficient than single phase because the phases overlap and you're never at a point where zero voltage is being created (which does occur in a single phase alternator).

Electromagnetic alternators rely on electricity to magnetize the rotor, rather than using one that's a permanent magnet. This means you need to have a little bit of power to get things started before you can generate more electricity. Unlike permanent magnet alternators, the output from this type remains fairly constant. As RPMs change or power requirements change, the regulator adjusts the amount of power going to the electromagnet; increasing or decreasing its magnetism. A weaker magnet means less power is produced while a stronger magnet means more power is produced.

So basically, the three phase R/R we sell is designed for an alternator with three output wires that regulates voltage in your system by adjusting the strength of the electromagnet inside the alternator. The single phase permanent magnet R/R we sell is designed for alternators with two output wires and regulates voltage in your system by bleeding off any excess back to ground (or by generating heat, or a combination of the two).

that was a great explanation, thanks!

Would you know which one will work with my bike? 1977 CB400F. im going to order a flasher relay and i figured ill order one of those R/R since they sound like an upgrade to my electrical system

I ordered one of the single phase regrecs fromSparckmoto a week or so ago, I'm in the UK so pleased that it arrived today.

Couldn't resist installing at lunchtime!

What a pleasure, genuinely 'plug and play'

I drilled a couple of mounting holes in the bottom of my custom electronics tray on the CB360 cafe project, bolted up, next to the wiring.

Checked the wire colour codes and all matched the original loom, so plugged the four way connector in, and the ignition positive sensor plugged neatly in too ( to the multi-way adjacent to the rear brake light switch)

Double checked all looked good so fired the bike up with a DMM connected to monitor the voltage on the LiFePo4 battery.

Voltage at tick over circa 13.6, raising to 14.1 at fast idle.

Wasn't able to fully warm the bike up and Rev it hard, but am confident the new reg rec is doing the job.

So thanks to Matt for the prompt shipment and the quality product.

Steve
Ps, anyone want a month old Kohler regrec pre wired for a CB360!

Back
Top Bottom