Rerouting stock control wires for clip-ons

jaybird99

1974 Honda CB550 K0
Hey there, so I have a set of clips on bars I'd like to install on my 74' CB550. Currently the stock controls on the bars have their wires threaded through the stock bars. Rather than drilling holes in the clips-on and having the wires threaded through them, I'm curious what people are doing as alternatives. Is anyone modifying the stock controls so that the wires extend out from the side rather than needing to be threaded through the bars?

Any thoughts or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

I drilled out the control housings on a Sportster to clear a set of bars that were not drilled. It can be done easily and cleanly if you take your time. Not 100% positive how much material you'll be able to take off for the 550 specifically without interfering with any of the controls though.

I did the same thing coyote mentioned, but on a Honda 360. There should also be enough clearance on the 550 controls. I used a bench grinder instead of a drill, though. Just ground out a section large enough to fit the wires between the bars and the controls, and then smooth out anything that might cut through the wires.

Actually, since Sonreir mentioned it, I just recalled that I also used a grinder not a drill. Worked just fine, but be carful you don't shred any wires

I've been spending a bit of time looking around since I started this conversation and I've started to notice some people with the 550 choosing to drill the bar and have their wire bundle run through the clip on and out the end. I wasn't sure I'd like the look of this, but I suppose it's an alternative to drilling out the control housing. I'm hesitant to do that I guess in case I go back to stock bars I don't want to damage the original controls. thanks for the in put, hopefully get around to it in a couple weeks. First time trying clips ons so I'm curious to how I'll like it. Thanks again!

Sent from my iPhone using DO THE TON

Don't drill holes in handlebars. As stated, a small notch in the control housings is all you need. It won't damage anything internally if you're careful.

another alternative is to make an indentation in the lower side of the clip-on so the wiring can run down into the 'dip' and under the edge of the controls rather than through the side. I've seen this done as stock on some bikes, just can't remember which type/model off the top of my head
i'm thinking this could be achieved using a bench vice with something pressed up against the bar which will push the indentation into it as the vice is tightened. you might want to practice on some old handlebar tube before jumping in to get the right depth and it would also be an idea to have something the same shape as the bar on the other side so it doesn't flatten/squash the roundness of it
I guess it sounds complicated but I reckon with a bit of practice you'd work it out

Dimpling bars is no easy task. Just notch the housings, you don't need that much room to run the wires through

Personally I prefer drilling the bars. It looks cleaner and more 'stock' than badly carved switch housings.(seen way too may badly cut over the last 40+yrs)
Also, when switch housings are carved on you lose the locating pin stopping it turning on bars. Not so important on clutch side but is definitely a PITA on throttle housing. Carving switches is way easier than drilling bars though, just depends on how hard you want to work at it ;)

Thanks for all the helpful suggestions. I decided to go with dremeling out the switches. I figured there would be less margin for error than drilling the clip-ons which were quite pricey to begin with. I sourced some replacement switches just in case everything went to hell and I had to buy new ones.

Given the fact that the controls will be mounted quite far up on the bars the amount that the wires are exposed is minimal and doesn't look to bad I thought.

I'm currently finishing up some free paint and red lettering for them so should be installed and wired sometime in the next week or so.

Thanks again for the help

c5771ff7468c7cd751b9cdf6d489f64b.jpg

Here's what I ended up with so far.

I bought a set of clip-ons from evilbay for £15 delivered, they're ally, and the tubes are thick enough to drill through with confidence. They come with adapters for various sizes of fork leg. Have a look for item 391479598229.

s-l1600.jpg

Unless they did something with the material (maybe made bars thicker?) I wouldn't use them. Friend had one snap off on CB360, luckily, he was only kick-starting it at the time

When i experimented with clipons on my 360, i drilled them and fed the wired through.

I didnt like the riding position, so changed to Renthal flat bars.

I drilled those too, the material is a thicker as they are alloy and getting the wires through was more difficult but possible.

Steve

Khaos said:
I bought a set of clip-ons from evilbay for £15 delivered, they're ally, and the tubes are thick enough to drill through with confidence. They come with adapters for various sizes of fork leg. Have a look for item 391479598229.

s-l1600.jpg

I tried a similar pair of bars from a local shop a few years back.
Never got as far as trying them on the road as I couldn't get them to tighten sufficiently to the forks, and would move with a little pressure put on them.
I put the problem down to the fact that the clip ons only had the 1 bolt to clamp to the stanchion, all the other bars I've used have had 2.
So take care.

Back
Top Bottom