78 cb750 carbs open/close very sluggish, weak return spring???

timdhawk

Been Around the Block
Hey guys... my carbs open/close is very sluggish. there is no crispness to the opening/closing of them at all. If I open them full throttle it takes probably a full second or two to close on their own. They have been rebuilt and are clean, there is no gumming. They have sat on the bike in a warmed garage for a year or two, but even when I did run the bike, they were never very "snappy". the throttle cables are new and function freely when not connected to the carbs.

Any ideas what I can do to get a good snappy response, or why they are currently so sluggish?

Thanks

Probably a combination of sticky cables and throttle tube plus it may need a new return spring. Also check for cable runs, sometimes with low bars or different clocks etc, the cables are forced to run at odd angles instead of smooth curves and we all like smooth curves don't we?

Could be the return spring on the carbs. Also check to make sure that the throttle side grip doesn't catch on the handlebar on that side. That will cause it to return slowly.

Sent from my iPhone using DO THE TON

I'm an idiot... that is all...

(it was all gummed up inside. I didn't think gas would turn to varnish that fast... I was wrong, lesson learned!)

Back
Top Bottom