Pretty Honda Head Gasket leaking from one side only

VintageMBike

Been Around the Block
73 CB500F

Pretty bike.

Dont ride it a lot. When I do I go fast. Above 60MPH and high RPM, the oil from the leak splatters on the side cover. If I went slow, this wouldnt happen.

Only leaks on one side, throttle side.

Perhaps the top end needs retorque?

Pics:

Attachments

• FullSizeRender-2.jpeg
    FullSizeRender-2.jpeg
    544.2 KB · Views: 167
  • IMG_7936.jpeg
    IMG_7936.jpeg
    2.2 MB · Views: 169
  • IMG_7934.jpeg
    IMG_7934.jpeg
    2.2 MB · Views: 186
innovativems said:
Time to replace top end gaskets.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Im going to try and re torque and see if that does anything. if not, then I will rebuild the top end. New cam chain, tensioner, pistons, piston rings, the whole deal. May as well.

Just be sure not to torque above spec in the fsm. It would suck to crack the head or strip your screw holes.

irk miller said:
Just be sure not to torque above spec in the fsm. It would suck to crack the head or strip your screw holes.

Thanks for that advice! Ive heard that said before and will pay special attention when re torquing.

I hope its a simple case of needed to re re torqued and not a new head gasket.

Be careful putting the valve cover back on. Use the rubber band trick to hold the rocker arms up. And might as well replace the rubber pucks while you're in the.

More than likely, the head gasket needs replacing.

And it's still leaking at slower speeds. It's just not getting blown back by the wind.
Try rolling up a shop towel....the heavy duty blue paper towels....into a "rope" and jamming it in tightly between the fins. Use a thin screwdriver to tuck it in there nice and snug. Temporary fix to keep oil off the side covers and your pants leg.

scott s said:
Be careful putting the valve cover back on. Use the rubber band trick to hold the rocker arms up. And might as well replace the rubber pucks while you're in the.

More than likely, the head gasket needs replacing.

And it's still leaking at slower speeds. It's just not getting blown back by the wind.
Try rolling up a shop towel....the heavy duty blue paper towels....into a "rope" and jamming it in tightly between the fins. Use a thin screwdriver to tuck it in there nice and snug. Temporary fix to keep oil off the side covers and your pants leg.

There are those oil line o rings on either side of the cylinders that usually are the problem. But once opened up you usually have to do from the base gasket up

annoying job

The O-rings on the end caps are on the valve cover, not the head.
To torque the head, the valve cover has to come off and the rubber pucks removed. They're probably dried and shriveled anyway.
I had a '71 that did the same thing. I got by with doing just this head gasket and pucks. But, yes..... you always stand a chance of disturbing the base gasket.

scott s said:
The O-rings on the end caps are on the valve cover, not the head.
To torque the head, the valve cover has to come off and the rubber pucks removed. They're probably dried and shriveled anyway.
I had a '71 that did the same thing. I got by with doing just this head gasket and pucks. But, yes..... you always stand a chance of disturbing the base gasket.

Yeah. Im glad I have 4 other bikes. A while back some dude told me he had the same problem and used tampons between the fins.

If I choose to occasionally ride over summer, is there any risk of damage? Looks like I will have to pay for a slight rebuild over winter. So far Ive been quoted $1500 in labor. Ugh.

VintageMBike said:
Im going to try and re torque and see if that does anything. if not, then I will rebuild the top end. New cam chain, tensioner, pistons, piston rings, the whole deal. May as well.

That will cost you at least the $1500 that was quoted if they fit an endless cam chain which requires the crank out of the cases.

How many miles are on it? Does it smoke or burn oil?
Why would they do all that for a weepy head gasket?
Valve stem seals are about $2 each.

scott s said:
How many miles are on it? Does it smoke or burn oil?
Why would they do all that for a weepy head gasket?
Valve stem seals are about $2 each.

24k miles. STRONG bike.
Pulls hard.
Does not burn oil
Lossa baffleless exhaust is loud as hell

All that is wrong is a leaking gasket or o-ring.

scott s said:
No way in the world I'd let them do all that work then.

They wont know until they get in there if anything else needs addressing. Its kind of annoying. But for now. when I ride the bike (I wont ride it too much over summer but I WILL ride it) i'll try your idea or the tampon idea and make sure the oil levels are ok.

Then, over winter it can be repaired.

Just an FYI, for when they get in there: EVERY CB500/550 cam chain slipper and tensioner has tiny little stress cracks and wear grooves in them. They all do that. Unless it's just absolutely disintegrating, don't freak out over that. It's fine.

I'd go for a head gasket, new pucks, lap the valves and install new valve stem seals....and run it for another 25k miles.

scott s said:
Just an FYI, for when they get in there: EVERY CB500/550 cam chain slipper and tensioner has tiny little stress cracks and wear grooves in them. They all do that. Unless it's just absolutely disintegrating, don't freak out over that. It's fine.

I'd go for a head gasket, new pucks, lap the valves and install new valve stem seals....and run it for another 25k miles.

Will do. Im bummed its leaking but it should get me through the season. Any words of advice on that? Riding as is?

Stuff something between the fins to keep it from blowing back and watch the oil level.

Re-tourquing head really is only applicable for a motor that’s been rebuilt. What you are experiencing is a failed gasket/seal.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back
Top Bottom