Swapping front wheel: want to keep old Yamaha XT 500 speedo

mizuchaud

I am in the middle of planning for a front wheel swap on my Yamaha XT 500.
I'm planning on getting a new 19" wheel with disc brakes, so my old front hub with drum brakes and front speedo gear will no longer be on the bike.
I'd like to keep the old speedo. (Using Kawa Ninja ex250 front forks, maybe a honda crf front hub, and a dirt track 19" front rim. Spacers and step bearings too.)

help me with my thinking: if I can source a front wheel speedo gear drive off of a SR500 and a shorter speedo cable, it 'should' be able to talk to the old XT speedo, correct?
I'm assuming the Yamahas stayed on the same gear ratio, regardless of the fact that the front wheels are different sizes.
I am planning on getting adapters for the old axle, so the mismatch in axles should not be a problem.

Does this make sense, or am I missing something?

I just woke up, but everything sounds good to me. Metric speedos all use the same ratio so that shouldn't be a problem. As long as the front tire you are using is the same size as stock from the speedo gear.......right?

I can't help you with the differences between speedos and drives, but did you know a Kawa KZ900 complete front end slots straight into the XT triple trees? I mean STRAIGHT IN. No spacers, no cutting......

Just sayin ;)

Three years later, I'm coming back to this question. My self induced problem: I want to keep the stock Speedo and odo gauge. I have done a front end mongrel swap and mounted a Honda CB 550 front hub laced to a new 19" font rim. So before I go and order a custom Motion Pro speedo cable, with a Xt 500 end and a CB 550 driver end, how off will the mileage and gauges speed be?

If anyone knew the stock xt 500 speedo driver ratio I could then compare it to the stock CB ratio and see how off it would be, thereby giving myself a chance to make a judgement call before I waste 90 bucks.

if you still have both observe and figure out the ratio
you can figure the percentage of diff with the wheel circumference as well

Cable arrived.
Part # 00-0000 aka 'you are on your own, buddy'.
Dimensioned exactly per their sketch and my requested length. Armorcoat.

Installed.
a71ebe8adbcad7d9940fff77e6c4520f.jpg

Trip around the neighborhood shows that cable and speedo are talking. Will have to map a route to check accuracy on mileage and find a speed road sign for speed accuracy.

Use your phone and a gps app. Will give you accurate speed and mileage

Sonic, do you have an app in mind? The ones I see on Google Play all look like wanna be racer boy car speedos. Wondering which one to try. Have one now that simulates the speedo from a Viper...

Diablo Super Biker
http://www.pirelli.com/diabloapp/index.php

But you can't see the screen while it's running so you'll need to use one of those racerboy speedo's as well

I've used Ulysses Speedometer, with my phone in a Ram mount. Works pretty good.

Back
Top Bottom