Which Honda CB is best?

The only bike thats right for you is the bike thats right for YOU. Everyone here can give you the pros and cons but you have to decide what you like, and what you want to do with it. All the retro bikes are friggin hot right now so if you find a clean one with a good price GRAB IT!

I have CBs and KZs, and love them all for different reasons.

There seems to be a lot of information on this thread. It's nice to know theres a lot of help on this forum. After looking at many bikes the past few weeks I picked up a "77 Honda CB 550F. It's completely stock so it gives me a chance to mod it myself and learn more about the bike. The only problem I am having is the rust and a bad charging system.

550 aint bad,
I've done lots of miles on mine and only changed stator because it was damaged when it slid down the road.

A little necrotic, sure, but while PB was my magic bullet for the longest time, I recently discovered siliconized teflon.

DuPont sells a spray silicon with Teflon additive, and Tri-Flow is the same thing essentially.
They're both really super cool to clean brake and throttle cables with and they give a very good long-lasting lubrication. Inert, too, so I've been using them on EVERYTHING that needs the WD-40 treatment. Including small air-compression devices that would normally be harmed by petroleum distillates.

hey PJ, hate to bug you, could you do the CB650? I just picked up an 81 for a friend and want to know what things to check specifically.

bradj said:
slower than same cc kawasaki, suzuki, yamaha. heavy, shit chrome, piss poor kehin carbs and then there is that charging system.

Go on fella, dothehonda,, go on, go see about getting you cb flavored koolaid. Your gonna like the way you look, when you drive by a store window. i can here all the ladies now "whos that kool mother fucka"? "Thats a rockstar if i ever saw one" "i need you inside of me" "please take my number and call me", but you wont call cause kool mother fuckers like your cb driven self ant got time for no bitches. there is only one gal for a kool motha fucken cb owner and that is a stupit way out of date womans name. a name that was played out when movies didnot have sound. like Helga, and when your on dothehonda always call your bike she cause that what kool motha fucka do round these parts

wow. be more of a dick next time.

CB650 is slower tha the Kawasaki, but, it's a lot easier to work on (you don't take the cams out to set valve clearance)
Couple of problems with them though
1, alternator brushes wear out
2. ignition boxes melt
3. Starter brushes wear out
4. it has Comstars ;D

At the right price, I would have one as I know how reliable the CB650 rally is (I was working in a Honda dealers when they were launched)
I love the way the KZ650 looks but I would have to re-wire it as a Honda ;D

Hey brad,
I didn't expect you to get so bent out of shape.
I think you mentioned about friends a while ago (when Rocan did his 30 page 'thing'?)
I forgot until I read what you posted
It wasn't a personal attack but your posts have been getting more vitriolic for no apparent reason, something is up?
I don't mind editing that line out, as you said, it was really only a joke.
Hey, I've always said, 'You meet the nicest people on a Honda, they made so many of them, some of the people HAD to nice' ;)
BTW, I've had a lot more problems with Kawasaki electrics than with Honda systems ;D

crazypj said:
Hey, I've always said, 'You meet the nicest people on a Honda, they made so many of them, some of the people HAD to nice' ;)
i always said honda owner have to be nice or else or people with trucks would not haul them home when they broke on the side of the road

crazypj said:
BTW, I've had a lot more problems with Kawasaki electrics than with Honda systems ;D
pj btw if a cb750, cb500 4s ran as good as a the same cc kaw triple electrics problem would be a deciding factor but the difference is so so great it does not even make since to compair.

Come on give me SOMETHING you know im right
It kills you a little, but you know ha ha

Yeah, but,the kwaker wouldn't do a 500+ mile trip very easy ;D
I knew a couple of people who had them, wheelie like crazy and flex like a bungy cord ;)
It is 60bhp, in a straight line 8)

Thanks PJ! I'll be sure to check those things out. yeha, i was disappointed about the comstars, laugh.. ::)

Catbird said:
Bikes are all cool.
Some are just cooler than others.

This goes back to page 1...

And brad is kinda right. People flock to the CB because they are quite aware that they are "cool". And if you throw a credit card @ it you cant help but end up with a "cafe". Even if you dont have a clue. right after the cb purchase comes the famed 59 patch.... Barf....

Any bike can be of any style, it's only limited by the builder/credit card slinger...

Personally, I don't think CB's are 'cool', they are sorta boring.
BUT, they are reliable if kept stock.
You need to know what your doing to modify them
CB450 is cool, but I've done more than enough work on them to prefer CB360 :eek:
The fad for fitting pods to everything and chopping tail ends off (with resultant wiring messes) leads to the 9,000+ 'lurkers' here who haven't posted anything ;D
It's OK if you can't do it or just want to 'pretend' to follow the 'lifestyle/hipness (worked for Harley for over 30 yrs ;) )
Buying into it is pushing prices artificially high for a bunch of poorly engineered crap with clubman bars though

I have no problem at all easing the fears of a first time builder i will always tell some to go for it if safety is not a issue. i could really give to shits about what bike someone buys but the walking around blind untill some one tells you what is kool i can not stand. i take a "if it hurts ill hit it harder"approch to builden a bike, ive thrown more parts away that ive fucked up that than i care to addmit but pain and progress go hand and hand so please quit asking people what color to paint your wheels and think for yourself. make mastakes it will make you a better motorcycle builder.you will have questions along the way ask them but ask them to make progress on your build not to guage what it kool. Frat boys buy friends i would like to think that the bonds built hear is deeper than that. fitting in for the sake of fitting in is sick if you ask me. Cut your own path, you will find kool along the way.

Back
Top Bottom