Cafe XV920R Mega-Build

Virago1113 said:
My question is, will there be room for the rear exhaust pipe?
The exhaust will be a bit of a challenge but there is room for it. The RC51 swing arm I am using has the shock offset to the right and there is a space beside it where the stock RC pipe came through. So I will be able to come through it to do my exhaust.

Frame is almost done. I used box tubing to make the main part of the frame and welded it to the stock head stay. I designed and had two support plates cut out to box it in. The plates will attach to a custom bracket mounted to the head similar to stock. I had my frame come down closer to the head for more support. I also will be securing it with 3 bolts instead of 2 like the original. I did move the steering head stay closer, lower ,and at a more aggressive angle than stock for improved handling. Need to finish up the welding and make my mounts to the engine and she'll be a roller.

Attachments

• XV frame bracket.jpg
    XV frame bracket.jpg
    247.5 KB · Views: 550
  • XV frame a.jpg
    XV frame a.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 551
  • XV frame b.jpg
    XV frame b.jpg
    950.1 KB · Views: 535
Doing some more work on the frame. I made the mounts that goes from the heads to the frame and finished most of the welding. Still going to add a couple more supports, but now I should be able to make it a roller pretty soon.

Attachments

• XV frame c.jpg
    XV frame c.jpg
    988.3 KB · Views: 490
  • XV frame c4.jpg
    XV frame c4.jpg
    936 KB · Views: 493
  • XV frame c3.jpg
    XV frame c3.jpg
    915.5 KB · Views: 489
  • XV frame c2.jpg
    XV frame c2.jpg
    987.1 KB · Views: 509
are you going to bore the headstock bearing cups post weld? I have been thinking about making my own swing-arm lately and one of the issues I've been scheming on is how to fixture the swing-arm to bore the bearing cups after welding to eliminate distortion. nice work.

doc_rot said:
are you going to bore the headstock bearing cups post weld? I have been thinking about making my own swing-arm lately and one of the issues I've been scheming on is how to fixture the swing-arm to bore the bearing cups after welding to eliminate distortion. nice work.
I took some precautious when welding around the headstock. First of all I left the bearing outer race in the headstock to help keep the shape. I also used welding gel on the race to help dissipate the heat. I doubt that I will need to machine it.

jcw said:
Not planning on connecting the rear frame and the top frame together?
I am planning on connecting the top of the frame at the back of it to a point on my CNC parts, but I am going to wait until I get the tail section and exhaust figured out first so my mount won't interfere.

I was able to make it a roller. I put the 08 CBR600rr forks back on the new frame but ended up using a CBR929 Triple clamp to get the correct brake caliper spacing for the RC51 SP2 wheel. The disks are 08 CBR600RR. The rear RC51 SP2 wheel was of course a direct bolt on to the RC51 swingarm. Hopefully this will keep me more motivated.
The next step is to figure out my tank and tail section I have several ideas just need to decide.

Attachments

• XV roller a.jpg
    XV roller a.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 504
  • XV roller b.jpg
    XV roller b.jpg
    164.3 KB · Views: 510
Absolutely wonderful work. Good luck choosing a tank - with that narrow backbone, the possibilities are endless...

What kind of clearance do you have under the oil pan with that setup?

MORK said:
Absolutely wonderful work. Good luck choosing a tank - with that narrow backbone, the possibilities are endless...

What kind of clearance do you have under the oil pan with that setup?
I have about 150mm of clearance should be OK. I also incorporated the ride height adjustment in my suspension design so I have the option of raising the rear a bit if needed.

Picked up a tank on Ebay from a BMW 9T. Really liked the shape of it ever since it came out. It had some minor damage but nothing to serious. I did have to do some surgery to the underside to make it fit and I will have to cap off the hole for the fuel injection and add a petcock. It is an aluminum tank so there will be some TIG welding involved to make it work. The nice thing is there is plenty of room under the tank for the battery and all the electronics. After I get in mounted I am going to work on my tail section.

Attachments

• XV roller aa.jpg
    XV roller aa.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 501
Woah. Wasn't expecting that at all. I'm picturing it with some motocross bars and the 9T scrambler subframe now...

For a while on mine I was thinking of using an XSR900 seat, but there wasn't a way to cohesively line up the tank and the subframe it would require. It looks like it could line up with that tank really well. (They are also cheap brand new from places like motosport on the microfiche)

Really impressed with the fab and detail. What welder are you using? Tank looks at home.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

SF said:
Really impressed with the fab and detail. What welder are you using? Tank looks at home.

I'm using a Lincoln MIG welder so far because I am comfortable with it. I have access to a TIG but need some time on it to be able to run clean welds. I may try and TIG the tank myself, but I will most likely have a friend of mine that is a professional welder help me out.

JAGspeed said:
I have about 150mm of clearance should be OK. I also incorporated the ride height adjustment in my suspension design so I have the option of raising the rear a bit if needed.

I'm envious of your frame height it would seem then - everything I find lists the 08 600rr forks at 720mm fully extended and my 05 R6 forks are measuring 736 at ride height and I only have ~3" (76mm) of clearance right now.

Good work - I'm off to contemplate dropped triples, etc.

MORK said:
I'm envious of your frame height it would seem then - everything I find lists the 08 600rr forks at 720mm fully extended and my 05 R6 forks are measuring 736 at ride height and I only have ~3" (76mm) of clearance right now.

Good work - I'm off to contemplate dropped triples, etc.
The CBR forks are fairly short but are great units. I knew I was going to make my own frame so it was not an issue. I did move the head stock of my frame down several inches and back some to achieve the ground clearance I desired. The closer distance will also reduce flex in my frame and improve handling.

Back
Top Bottom