Driftwood table

Maritime

Over 10,000 Posts
So my wife had an idea to make a glass top hallway table made out of a stump. So we went stump hunting and my son found a tree washed up on shore. So the root section was cool so we chunked it out and took it home. After some work, sanding and linseed oil. Here it is. Oh yes and the log ended up being cedar which was a bonus.

Sent from my MB525 using Tapatalk 2

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1384732174688.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1384732174688.jpg
    78.4 KB · Views: 273
  • uploadfromtaptalk1384732191105.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1384732191105.jpg
    52.8 KB · Views: 269
Very cool.
Ill be interested to see what happens at it dries

Re: Re: Driftwood table

SONIC. said:
Very cool.
Ill be interested to see what happens at it dries

Its fully dry. Been in the house for 4 weeks. And was in the garage for 3 weeks before that. Just oiled it today so.looks really wet

Maritime said:
Its fully dry. Been in the house for 4 weeks. And was in the garage for 3 weeks before that. Just oiled it today so.looks really wet

Might take several months to a year to fully dry - don't cover the tabletop with the good china ;)

Rich Ard said:
Might take several months to a year to fully dry - don't cover the tabletop with the good china ;)

At that thickness more like 3 years ;D
I doubt it will be an issue though

Really? I thought stuff that had been "stretched out" by immersion for a long period dried more quickly.

Rich Ard said:
Really? I thought stuff that had been "stretched out" by immersion for a long period dried more quickly.

This is true.
Theres really no way to tell, but full logs really take forever to dry. General rule is a year per inch to air dry fully if its cut into boards, if it's a log who knows.
But there's also a lot of inherent stability in a log so drying probably isnt going to do much other than cause some surface cracks and roughen up over time.

Cool info guys, It also wasn't in the river, it was on shore above water line, it's hollow too so that will help. Been stable with only minor cracks but we'll keep an eye on it, also being cedar it should be more rot resistant than other woods. We like it anyway. Sonic I know you know your woods, so I'll take any advice you can give. I used a belt sander to get it level, it is stable right now, and I have some small rubber feet to put on the top between the wood and glass.

Cheers

Maritime

Maritime said:
Cool info guys, It also wasn't in the river, it was on shore above water line, it's hollow too so that will help. Been stable with only minor cracks but we'll keep an eye on it, also being cedar it should be more rot resistant than other woods. We like it anyway. Sonic I know you know your woods, so I'll take any advice you can give. I used a belt sander to get it level, it is stable right now, and I have some small rubber feet to put on the top between the wood and glass.

Cheers

Maritime

Yeah you're in good shape me and rich were just speculating haha.
Cedar should be fine, I routinely use cedar green without drying with no issue it's a very stable wood.

If you want to make sure it stays perfectly level get some levelers and some t nuts and put 4 of them in the bottom, that way if it ever does move, or you move it to a place where the floor isn't quite level you can just screw them in or out until its perfect.

Very cool project. I have a huge hollow hackberry that I need to do something similar with.

Cool. thanks for the idea, I will grab some of those next time I am in the hardware store.

Cheers,

maritime

Back
Top Bottom