My CB400f Supersport project

You're not the first person I've heard say that. Seems to be a common feeling.

Just skimmed your build Sonic.. lovely bike!!

I've just had a full Delkevic system arrive today.. I'm now getting very excited about this bike... its sounds crazy as its my 3rd build but its suddenly dawned on me when its finished I will have a brand new CB400f SS with a twist!

This bike will be my ride to work and around town bike next spring.. and finally a bike that I intend to carry a pillion as my son and daughter are desperate to come to my local bike night!!

Bit more work last night, finished restoring the rusty old airbox, and chuffed with the rubber mounts bought from china for £2.. they took 4 weeks to arrive but can't fault them.

Sprayed up the foot rest mounts so a few more coats later tonight.

New rear pads arrived but still waiting on the custom sprockets!

107242-111017081625.jpeg

107242-111017081648.jpeg

Also my Delkevic arrived.. a big deliberation over the beautiful OEM pipes vs the Delkevic but I wanted to create a bike that was different and I'm very happy!

107242-111017082141.jpeg

107242-111017082125.jpeg

Looking great! You will be happy with the delkevic system. I have one on my cb550 and cb350f. Very happy with them

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks.. I cant wait to build it up once I have the engine back!

I'm a bit unsure about the back of the bike.. I really want to carry a pillion so my girlfriend can hop on but want to make it look better than the huge stock seat.. so lots of tea drinking looking at the bike with some mates this weekend.. and a few beers!

Friends down for the weekend so not huge progress but finally got all the 2 pack paint off the tank an into primer, needs filling and sanding but its just nice to get in into a workable stage!

New pads arrived too so rear brake set up all working, awaiting custom sprockets and chain plus the engine so I can get that installed ASAP.

107242-171017043214.jpeg

Been busy.. engine now in... delkevic headers on and a lovely machined bush made for my gear linkage slop problem.

107242-311017064404.jpeg

107242-301017035052.jpeg

107242-301017035113.jpeg

107242-311017064836.jpeg

The build cost has lost the plot..and I have so much left to do but its a lovely distraction from work.. I'm not planning another build for a while, once this is done I can finish the next stage of my XS750.

Well a quick update on the build... like all projects.. I've now gone back two steps.. the engine paint isnt fuel proof it seems, so its back out again and 4 bolts in the head need helicoils. Also the front mudguard bracket is causing me trouble... as lowering it by taking a section out simply isnt going to work.. The bracket is good so I'm going to leave it for now , it sits a little too high for my liking but we can address later.

On the positive the carbs have turned out amazing and are as good as new internally.

The Delkevic exhaust it seems was designed for a 75 - 77 , they are going to help with the issue or I'll make a bracket of some sort. I've now shorted the seat base.. which has turned out well... CB400f owners will curse me.. but the std seat is sooo long!

It was good to get the bike out in daylight.. still unsure on tank color.. so it can stay as is until I decide. Next job, modify the airbox to hold the new regulator. Once the engine is back from paint we can get cracking and back together at start to make progress as most of the work is now done, but run out of funds till next month now so electronic ignition will have to wait.. I can at least get the wiring loom in place.

A few pics...

107242-151117025341.jpeg

107242-151117025316.jpeg

107242-151117025208.jpeg

Just when I was getting a bit demotivated at the cost and time of this build I found this old picture of the carbs and engine at strip down and realised how far we've come..!

107242-151117025112.jpeg

Looking really good. The stock headers are beautiful of course, but these are not bad at all.
Had a CB400F about 15 years ago and loved it, this almost makes me want to look around for another :)

Thanks.. well I hope so, just going through the wiring loom while the engine is getting painted again then off to Delkevic next weekend and we can look at getting the engine running!

Been busy this weekend, finally re painted the engine.. came out really well.

Delkevic exhaust now all fitted, carbs and airboxes in and I made a bracket for the rectifer/regulator which fits perfect.

This week its all about getting the loom in and secured, along with making plans to perhaps have it running next weekend!! A lot of the hardwork has been done so feels good to see it coming together finally!

107242-271117045126.jpeg

107242-271117045157.jpeg

107242-271117045221.jpeg

107242-271117045246.jpeg

I cant claim full credit... lol, I saw something similar done on a forum so adapted the idea.. worked a treat.

Tidy, crisp, clean and neat. Nice attention to detail!

Should likely ask this question/search in the "electrics" topic, but what's the skinny on going with (if I'm reading this right?) a combined voltage regulator/rectifier? There are obviously benefits? What else has to be done to make that "upgrade"?

Sorry if this is a thread hijack.....

Its been a while.. loads of issues and other projects taking up time. Main issue is it appears the cam tensioner is stuck. For now I have a new cam chain on and everything is where it should be, she runs sweet so I'll crack on for now but at some stage I'm going to need to split the cases. With 2 months to the bike show and the fact she runs beautifully and I won't be doing more than a 1000 miles in a year I'll carry on with the build. So loom is now in, gauge in and all warning lights working. Cut down the front guard, it needs to be lower but cutting the original bracket down is not as easy as thought.

New chain and sprockets on.. really pleased and huge improvement over the stock chain!

Next jobs;

Sort why my new rectifer/regulator is not charging?

Investigate the gears... return spring may have gone? Worked fine before the strip down.

Fit rear indicators and cut down the mounts.

107242-120118033153.jpeg

107242-120118033236.jpeg

107242-120118033750.jpeg

So much attention to detail. So much shine and perfection and then I see that red tape wrapped bundle where a wiring loom should be. WTF?

We have all used those crappy red crimp on connectors but they have a horrible habit of coming apart, and they look like crap (IMHO). Do yourself a favor when you get a moment and order a bunch of waterproof multipin connectors. You will be happy you did. I usually use Sumitomo connectors from Eastern Beaver in Japan, but I believe that Sonreir now has taken over Vintage Connections and can supply connectors of the type that were commonly used when our bikes were built. That would take a lot of bulk out of that harness and would look more professional.

Ah well that's just temporary to hold the loom together.. I'm not wrapping it up yet as I have a problem getting charge to the battery and still need to finish some wiring! As for the connectors I've used slim gold OEM type connectors in most places.. the ones you see are for the horn and the new gauge of which I'll be replacing as totally agree and I made a mistake using them they are total crap. The reason it looks bulky is well... there are a lot of wires to sort.. as I have no wiring jumble behind the headlight so this will be neatly wrapped up and hidden under the tank keeping it clean and tidy around the front of the bike.. thats the plan.

Back
Top Bottom