1987 Suzuki GS450 - running again; tuning commences

biggiesmalls

Been Around the Block
Hey everyone,

New here and thought I'd start up my own build thread. Bought my first bike about a week ago - a 1987 Suzuki GS450L. The previous owner had laid it down and I was able to talk him down on the price based on some things that needed immediately replaced like the broken gauges.

l_side.jpg

side_full.jpg

rear.jpg

I've got some big plans for her that are going to be what I'd call cafe-inspired but I started the thread here because its certainly more of the direction I'll be taking the bike. As soon as I get a spare minute she's getting a new speedo and new drag bars. After that matching levers and new grips, and hopefully new signals soon after. Much more is gunna happen this winter when she'll be laid up in my buddy's garage; painting, cleaning, some carb/header work. Currently she's dirty as all hell and seems to have a small leak that I'd like to get to the bottom of. She does run pretty well, however, with no noticeable performance problems as of yet.

One thing I'd love some words of advice on from any of the other GS owners is electrical. There's wires running in all sorts of places and I'd like to really slim things down. Also probably going to end up with LED turn signals soon.

Thanks everybody! Updates may be slow but I'll be keeping it up when I can.

Re: 1987 Suzuki GS450

Well, I am happy to hear that you are going to ride it instead of tearing it all to pieces. I love the GS450. Great bike. I know the electrical system intimately, and also things like jetting, so I can give you a little guidance as you move along with it.

Not right this minute, though, as I am just taking a brief break from sandblasting.

Good grab. Like AD said the GS450 is a great bike, I love my "L". If you aren't already registered. get on the GS resources as well. lots of information and inspiration over there as well.

Gary

Thanks Alpha Dog. You'll probably hear from me when I start getting into the electrics. Are there any GS-specific electric threads on here I haven't seen yet? I've got a Clymer's manual on the way in the mail that I'm waiting on. As for wiring in a new speedo, is it just as simple as matching wire colors from the speedo to the stock end/adapter? That's what I figured.

My buddy has a '78 GS550 and is currently trying to figure out what keeps blowing his main fuse.

And thanks as well, Gary. I'll definitely check out GSResources.

Good to see another GS450 on here. The wiring is a nightmare! There seems to be a lot of useless wires. I'm thinking of making a new harness with just the bare essentials. Anything else planned for the bike?

A new harness with just the bare essentials, eh Collo? Feel free to keep me updated, that sounds like a nice solution. What are you keeping as the "bare essentials"?

Other plans include, but are not limited to: new turn signals, painting everything black, shortening the rear fender and moving the rear brake light behind the seat, cleaning it up in general. Then eventually a 2-to-1 header and new exhaust, maybe cleaning and jetting the carbs this winter. That's a bit over my head at the moment though. I'm gunna get to know the bike from the top down first.

I guess everyone is different, but I found the electrical to be the hardest thing to work on - maybe it's just the GS's.

My plan for a simplified harness removes all gear selector info, rear brake - rear light control. Headlight working via separate switch, no accessory switch just ignition on and off and just switches up front with a push button start, doing away with anything electrical on the handlebars pretty much.

Will see how all that goes, but for now it's just about getting a seat made and exhaust set up so I can ride it.

Your plans for the bike seem reasonably manageable, I found between this site and GSR that no matter what I seem to stuff up, someone is always kind enough to help me fix it. So don't feel too worried if it's over your head.

When I wired my 450, I didn't just simplify the wiring harness, I made some improvements.

To begin with, the charging system is marginal and the lighting pathetic. I put on dual H4 headlights for better lighting. You can't run that much more power through the handlebar controls, so I installed relays to handle the load. I also installed a relay for the air horn. The stator couldn't handle the added load of the dual headlights and roasted. I replaced the stator and the regulator with units from Electrosport, who claims 20% more output than the stock stator. I never had trouble with low battery after that.

I got rid of the dorky instrument panel and its gear indicator. I fabricated a bracket that just mounted the speedometer. (We don't need no steeking tach.) That eliminated a shitload of wires. I still kept my handlebar controls and turn signals.

Note how nice and clean the front end is with the simplified instrumentation, and dual headlights. After this mock up picture was taken, I wired the bars internally.

StinkerMockUp1.jpg

I built a wiring chassis to carry the electronics, because I was eliminating the side covers that previously hid the electronics.

circuitchassis1.jpg

circuitchassis2.jpg

circuitchassis3.jpg

Later, I did the front turn signals from the headlight housings. (The bike is really dusty in this photo)

dualhead.jpg

I had to lengthen the handlebar wires for the apes. Notice in this picture how the solder joints are staggered so that it doesn't make a big lump in the wiring with the joints all at the same place.

handlebarwiring.jpg

I ran 12 ga wire from the relays to the headlights to minimize voltage drop and maximize brightness. This is how I did it at first, but having the rather stiff wires soldered directly to the bulb sockets caused the socket connectors to break off. I bought new headlight sockets that had pigtails that were more flexible.

headlightwiring1.jpg

This is how I modded the steering stem to mount the dual headlights.

steeringstemmod.jpg

Then I powdercoated it.

steeringstemcoatedfront.jpg

steeringstemcoatedrear.jpg

I don't find wiring to be particularly difficult, but then I have a tech school degree in electronics theory and can read wiring diagrams. Bike wiring is not rocket science, so anyone with patience should be able to do it. I DO find wiring to be very time consuming.

Spend plenty of time studying the wiring diagram for you bike. Follow each of the key circuits and note their colors. Don't hack at your stock wiring harness willy nilly. You don't have to wire a bike from scratch to simplify the wiring. Stay with the original wire colors and connectors as much as possible, and it will be less confusing.

Really digging the wiring chassis you built, Alpha Dog. Not sure I'm that electrically inclined, but cleaning up the bike is definitely a goal.

For any of you folks that are good with paint and polishing, what do you have to say about these. Below is my headlight. While I could probably find a replacement part, if I can sand it out and paint it, I'd prefer to do that.

20130326_230041.jpg

And here's the crankcase and emblem. I know I can pick up a new eblem, but I'd like to smooth out the scratches from where the last guy dumped it. Possible? Worth the effort?

20130326_230025.jpg

Collo said:
I guess everyone is different, but I found the electrical to be the hardest thing to work on - maybe it's just the GS's.

My plan for a simplified harness removes all gear selector info, rear brake - rear light control. Headlight working via separate switch, no accessory switch just ignition on and off and just switches up front with a push button start, doing away with anything electrical on the handlebars pretty much.

Will see how all that goes, but for now it's just about getting a seat made and exhaust set up so I can ride it.

Your plans for the bike seem reasonably manageable, I found between this site and GSR that no matter what I seem to stuff up, someone is always kind enough to help me fix it. So don't feel too worried if it's over your head.

Thanks Collo. Going for the real simple cafe racer wiring? I'm still keeping my bike on the road so rear brake light is staying. Definitely going to slim down the wiring and will be posting pics and updates here when I get into it.

Here's how I dealt with my side covers.

Mine were not as gouged up as yours, but I didn't like the badges, anyway. They are just held on with rubber cement, and you can peel them right off. After removing them, there is a raised ridge around where they were. I sanded that down, and proceeded with finer and finer grits of wet sandpaper until I got to 1200 grit. Then I polished.

Here is a before and after.

StatorCover1.jpg

StatorCover2.jpg

I think yours is not so badly damaged that you could clean it up if you are willing to sacrifice having the badges. You can also find replacement side covers on eBay for $15-$20.

Looks great, Alpha Dog. I'm definitely going to try that. But do you mean to say the crankcase covers themselves are up on ebay for cheap? Haven't seen any recently but I'll definitely keep my eye out. Thanks for all your help so far man!

Yeah, I see that now...just a matter of looking and looking and waiting for exactly what I need.

Also, looking at the pictures from your wiring post earlier, I noticed you've got passenger pegs, but it doesn't look like you've got any brackets. What'd you do there? My buddy and I have been debating the importance of said brackets (without actually removing them to find out yet).

Passenger pegs are in their stock location, which is a frame loop from which the mufflers are mounted.

Ah, I see.

Another question for you AD: did you do a similar sanding/polishing technique to the bottom of your front forks as well?

Not yet. I am contemplating a GS850 front end. I have the triple trees and forks.

Back
Top Bottom