Sonic's 68 CB350 Build (almost done, tuning)

SONICJK

Reminds me of...me No, I'm sure of it. I hate him
Alright guys finally picked up a stock 350 this weekend. Been looking forever.
Paid a little more than I wanted to considering the condition, but I'm happy and that's what matter.
So the plan with this one is a fairly classic cafe build on a budget. I set aside about 500 bucks on top of the purchase price to get her the way I want her.

Brought her home and started in on getting her running.
Here she sits as I brought her home. Not running and looking like ass.
6901499a.jpg

Took the points cover off and set the timing,
Checked the valve clearance.
0b8aa9fb.jpg

Tossed in a little starter fluid and she cranked right up!

So next I hooked up a little gas and tried that.
NOTHING ???

After a few too many tries i finally pulled the carbs and gave them a look.
and this nasty ass shit is what greeted me
32e31bc5.jpg
:eek:

So first decision is clubmans or clipons? This will be a daily rider back and forth about 10 miles to work, as well as a little fun in the twisties on occasion.

Re: Sonic's 68 CB350 Build

Oh and it looks like im going to need one new float as one is full of gas.
Any suggestions on a cheap one?

Sonic's 68 CB350 Build

Got some goodies today.
Got some clubmans to start with, maybe clip ons later.
New shocks, 13.2" to pick the rear up a little, as it was too short for me. They feel MUCH better.
Some pod filters, and some por15 engine paint.
42389a2a-7fb7-fe7c.jpg

Got it all tossed on for mockup.

42389a2a-7fcf-a539.jpg
42389a2a-7fdc-b629.jpg

Still waiting of floats from sirius consolidated and a chain before I can ride her.

Once I get her running and jetted it will be torn completely down and cafe'd.
Hopefully be rideable by mid April.

Oh and wtf is this? Last 350 didn't have it, is it part of the fork lock? And how do I get rid of it?
42389a2a-831c-2968.jpg

Regarding the first picture in the first post, did you fab that swing arm yourself? If not, what is it? And how did the bike handle with such a long swing arm?

Thanks.

Thanks!
I figured it out before reading this but still didnt know what it was. Any way to make it look less like asshole?
Justin

Makegooddecisions,
I didn't fab the swingarm, it is a stock 350 swingarm, extended about 10" just with extensions welded into the center.
It did not handle well, it was fun to ride but you didn't want to be pushing it around too much in the curves.

Alright update time,
I got her up and running today. Starts on first kick.
120psi in one side 150 in the other. So I suppose ill be doing some rings.

Anyway,
I'm seeing barely any power from the line, (I didn't have the pod filters on yet and i know that will kill some power, but is that enough to make it impossible to get going in first?)

Also the little plastic ring on the back side of the diaphragm on the right carb is broken....replacement or is it necessary etc?

Only way to make the stabilizer look better that I know of is to get a different one, maybe something of a modern sportbike like a gsxr off flea bay if your going on the cheap or spring for a new one like a Shindy or an Ohlins.

Another update,
Im a dumbass.
Figured out why there was absolutely no power....
The previous owner had installed the shift linkage (that connects to the spindle from the trans) upside down, so it was shifting 4 down 1 up. Instead of 1 down 4 up. I was very concerned that the trans was screwed until I finally noticed this. Flipped it around and trying to start in 1st (instead of 5th) was a breeze! It is running pretty well. Starts on first kick, and pulls strong up to the higher RPM's a lot of fine tuning to be done, but it runs good and all the gears shift smooth, so its time for teardown.

Sonic's 68 CB350 Build

Got it up and running really well today. Got the jetting figures out and all that jazz.
42389a2a-c5b4-d8ce.jpg

Put her back in the garage a little later after a few miles.
Sincce I raised the rear about an inch, the kickstand no longer works really well. I've been real careful up until now. Just tossed it on the stand and hopped off.
42389a2a-c601-8f9e.jpg
42389a2a-c60c-2c91.jpg

Well she decided to flop off the stand. Busted side cover, and bent the brand new clubmans.
Fuck.

Alright did a little work in the last few days.
Got some knee dents knocked into my tank. I like they way they turned out.
They started life a little smaller, but as soon as the hammer struck steel, the tank decided that my original design was not good. So here is the result.

Below is a photochop of how I want my seat and tank combo. The seat will be a slightly reduced version of the tank, dents and all. I'm really happy with how its coming together.
Concept1.jpg

Thoughts?

Re: Sonic's 68 CB350 Build (New Concept Photo)

Started teardown.
Yanked the motor and got it completely disassembled today.
DAMN this thing is dirty outside.
Inside looks good though
cc403bd8.jpg

Kickstarter spindle was broken at the spring catch, so ordered a new one
d5760cab.jpg

Next up is MASSIVE cleaning, polish the side covers, then paint the engine with POR15.

Looking good! I like your seat idea, it makes things flow together real nice.

Got a little more completed.
I'm mostly in the cleaning phase, so very boring and a major pain in the ass.

After sitting for 2 weeks in PB blaster and Seafoam deep creep the spark advancer was still welded to the cam. No amount of hammering or wedging was going to get this thing off.
Off to Harbor Freight.
Got a set of 3 arm pullers for 18 bucks and slapped the mid size one on the cam bearing.
I put a screw in the cam hole as the puller was to big to fit in there.
Once I got it all set up and started pulling it was a BEAR to get this thing off. The PB, Seafoam, Blow Torch, Hammer, Wedge, etc did NOTHING. It took a ton of force to get this thing free, and it didn't just pop off once the stuck broke, it was a fight every step of the way!
fede640a.jpg

Ordered a new advancer from ebay, as the heat kinda screwed this one. Springs are stretched, its slightly bent, vice grip marks ::)

So that marks the completion of disassembly.

frame is detabbed and off to powdercoat
90f9996e.jpg

Also welded in my electronics plate, it may be a little low I am not sure, I have 13.2" shocks, and I don't *Think* it will hit but I'm a dumbass (common theme of this thread ::)) and welded it and dropped it off for powder before I checked, so we shall see.
All else fails ill chop it out and fix it, then appliance epoxy it.
13b8c291.jpg

Paying 140 for the powder job for the frame, which I thought was reasonable.

Sonic's 68 CB350 Build (New Concept Photo)

Got the frame back.
It's SEXY
42389a2a-626f-cf1a.jpg

A few more goodies!
Led marker lights
42389a2a-b1b1-df7f.jpg

Led strips that I'm going to integrate into the tail.
42389a2a-b1bb-815f.jpg

And had to do a quick mockup with ye tank (it's not done yet)
42389a2a-b1ea-4b74.jpg

Started rebuilding the engine today.

I dropped one of the little plastic retainers from the cam chain tensioner into the engine somehow.

So....back to square one. Gotta split the cases tomorrow to get it back.
Worst. Day. Ever.

SONICJK said:
Started rebuilding the engine today.

I dropped one of the little plastic retainers from the cam chain tensioner into the engine somehow.

So....back to square one. Gotta split the cases tomorrow to get it back.
Worst. Day. Ever.

Just a thought. Have you pulled the plug where the oil drains. This may save you time and heartache. It happened to me when I was re-installing my cam chain. A little compressed air and pulled drain plug and I got that little rubber spacer back. Problem solved. If the air doesn't work use a little water. It won't hurt anything. I hope this helps. Good luck!

Thanks!
The plan is to turn it upside down and shake tomorrow, if that doesnt work ill definitely try the air trick!
Thanks.
Such a stupid design.

Back
Top Bottom