MarioIrvin's 81' CM400 rat build

MarioIrvin

Heyoo! new to the forum and thought it would be a great idea to share my progress on my first build. Got the bike off of craigslist for $200. wanted to do a mix of things and so far its coming along quite well. Cell phone pictures for now, want to wait until it's done to bring out the real one. 1st image is when I first got home with it. It's come a long way

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    629.7 KB · Views: 403
  • IMG_20111223.jpg
    IMG_20111223.jpg
    475 KB · Views: 361
  • 4.jpg
    4.jpg
    600 KB · Views: 369
  • 3.jpg
    3.jpg
    431.3 KB · Views: 409
Replaced the front rim and slapped on the new tires for it. Gettin those tires on was a such a pain in the ass. I wonder how I'm going to be able to get them on without scratching the paint when that stage comes.

Attachments

• 312012.jpg
    312012.jpg
    626.5 KB · Views: 428
Currently just raked. Im pretty close to done with all the frame mods now its just time for mockup. Seasons looking good right now here in north jersey so im looking to get this thing out on the road!

Heyyyoooo thanks for the encouragement! Coworker of mine coincidentally just got a nice bike and it gave me some motivation to ride this thing. So after having the motogadget on my watchlist for awhile I needed to find a cheaper alternative.
I've heard about its reputation and felt it still was a better way to go right now. I ended up having to remove the mounting studs it came with because they dont bother to bring the mounting nuts to go with them. I could have just cut the screws and found new ones but when I tried to torque them down the bolts turned also. Considering what it does and how it looks it was definitely worth the price. I have yet to put it through some work though..
Still have to figure out how to mount the speed sensor on this drum front. Trying to figure out how/where to mount the small magnet it comes with.

a6f8001d-1aea-99f0.jpg

a6f8001d-1b0d-3581.jpg

a6f8001d-1b1f-aa41.jpg

a6f8001d-1b2e-06ea.jpg

Sent from my DROID4 using Tapatalk

Update: 5/15/12

Been trying to get this thing running before its final tear down and have run into issues with the wiring. Ive been looking into simplifying everything but i got this feeling like im missing something. For example, the wiring diagram for this bike displays a 'changing' relay and switch. I was assuming all i would need would be the battery, ignition switch, starter magnetic switch,rectifier, cdi unit, and coils to get this running.

Any input would be fantastic, thanks!

Sent from my DROID4 using Tapatalk

a6f806dc-1693-3784.jpg

Finally got around to hearing it run and damn, a lot louder than I had expected lol. Changed a few small details since last time and currently working on shortening the pull cable. Still got registration to go through and soon after, the awaited test drive!

Sent from my DROID4 using Tapatalk 2

Registration was a hassle but finally got a plate! Went ahead and welded up a license plate frame for it and figured out some wiring. Took it for a test ride and found only the right cylinder was firing. Apparently I hadn't cleaned the carbs as well as I thought haha. Backfiring like a mofo and idle is way off. But thats details im taking care of tomorrow before I take it on the road for the first time...fingers crossed.

a6f806fa-7358-93eb.jpg

a6f806fa-7507-9a75.jpg

Bad ass bike man! Really diggin the raked out front end and the way you switched up the back end of the frame.

Wish more people down here in North Carolina were buildin bikes like this, nothin but sport bikes.

Back
Top Bottom