KZ 750 Twin - Two point zero

beachcomber said:
CC,

that's a hangover from my Drag Racing days with V8 s !!

Rather than throw away grenaded engines I kept them less innards for set ups and "whatifs".

I'm now going a stage further and obtained a non V5 [non - titled ] frame so I can try out / duplicate any set ups on the bench first without worrying about scratching paint / getting a hernia !!

Anyone who had ever built hotrods or racers agree with you 100%.

canyoncarver said:
I picked up a KZ1000 rolling chassis a bit ago and I'm using the forks and mag wheels from it. Same diameter, I'm going to use the 750 trees and the 1000 forks are a bit of an upgrade, dual disc. Other than that, my thoughts head towards a nice USD fork off something much newer. What were you thinking BC?

CC,

It looks like I will be building TWO bikes now. I can't face another year [ running out of time !! ] without a bike on the road.

Realistically the Glemseck project is probably 12 months away - funds mainly as I do not want to cut corners.

However , the original Tangerine Dream project is pretty well there funding wise - with milder approach engine wise. Just the Weber conversion, high level pipes and with the cosmetics already pictured I have virtually everything I need.

The Glemseck bike is definitely morphing into a bit of a dual purpose race / road machine, and as much as I would like another set of Grimeca hubs etc, I can't afford it - so that means either swap wheels back and forth [ ! ], or make a decision as to which bike gets the Grimeca / Borranis and the "something else" for the other !

I do have a spare frame / swingarm coming courtesy of Kaptain Kwack over on the Lonesome Twin forum - in addition to a late engine complete with twin plug head [ eventually ! ] - well actually 4 plug, but you know what I mean !

So the plan is to move the "TD" off the bench and on to the build ramp and put the Glemseck project on the bench - but just as a frame / engine combo to set up the oil cooler. external oil pump, turbo, Nitrous etc.

That's where the alternate fork enquiry comes in. KZ 750 Twin parts are ferociously expensive here in the UK - and even with KK's sympathetic pricing - still adds too much to my meagre funding pot.

I'm not really a fan of rear discs - aesthetically, and in truth I very rarely use a rear brake !

So that's my dilemma I guess, I would love to have one last 60's style Cafer Racer, but the Flat Tracker can be finished that much sooner.

"I used to be indecisive - now I'm not so sure"

beachcomber said:
CC,
It looks like I will be building TWO bikes now. I can't face another year [ running out of time !! ] without a bike on the road.

That's where the alternate fork enquiry comes in. KZ 750 Twin parts are ferociously expensive here in the UK - and even with KK's sympathetic pricing - still adds too much to my meagre funding pot.

Yeah, it's tough, I'm building two bikes at the moment as well. One always takes resources from the other no matter which one you are talking about. It's why I keep my ZRX "on the road" and my chopper will be back on the road soon too. Having something to ride keeps me motivated.

I have my 750 forks that I likely won't be using, if you are interested send me a pm. They are currently disassembled but in good shape.

Geez, a page without a pic..... I'm getting less fond of my ugly seat. I love the shape but it's still a mess that I don't know if I want to use it. I've been sheepishly looking at airtech streamlining vintage seats.

Attachments

• kztwin_today.jpg
    kztwin_today.jpg
    220 KB · Views: 794
Airtech stuff is very nice for a reasonable price. Guess it depends how much you value your time. It will take a lot of time to whip that tail into shape.

Yeah..... so I talked to Walt at Airtech. Super nice and helpful guy. I have this seat on order, about two weeks out. I mentioned I'm interested in his stuff for my YZF750 project he got excited and we talked about those for awhile too. The 96' 750SP plastics they make are sweet.

Attachments

• as_seat_vsl6.jpg
    as_seat_vsl6.jpg
    13.1 KB · Views: 629
clem said:
Dude that looks like the seat you made.

It's the closest shape I liked that will fit my frame. AdvCo is coming by my place next weekend. He'll get to laugh at my attempt and maybe even show me how to fix it. I have the stuff to start over and try again which I'd like to do later but the airtech seat is now plan A.

The only thing that I've heard is that the airtech stuff might take a little more prep prior to painting but that's it. Still better than starting from scratch.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using DO THE TON mobile app

I have bought a few things from air-tech over the years and the finish on the gel coat was always superb, scuff it with a red scotch bright and its ready for primer and paint.

At this distance [ !! ] they appear to have a good product line.

Here in the UK we are spoilt for choice with plenty of opportunity for old World GRP to be spalshed. ;)

clem said:
The only thing that I've heard is that the airtech stuff might take a little more prep prior to painting but that's it. Still better than starting from scratch.

I probably will start again from scratch on a seat for it at some point but yep, I wanted a faster, nicer plan B.

I started to get the kz brake parts together. I had most of 5 calipers in process of cleanup when I remembered I bought that 1980 KZ1000B roller awhile back, I got a box of parts with it. I went and looked and it had all the kz1000 calipers to go with the 7 spoke mags for this build. They all need a rebuild and new lines but I call that a win. It might save me from some rear wheel alignment issues as well since the rear caliper and right side spacer are a single unit.

Attachments

• kzbrakes_pile.jpg
    kzbrakes_pile.jpg
    374.4 KB · Views: 272
  • kzbrakes_pile2.jpg
    kzbrakes_pile2.jpg
    415.8 KB · Views: 259
Rear caliper cleaned and painted with Duplicolor silver caliper paint, about to go back together.

Attachments

• kzrearcalpainted.jpg
    kzrearcalpainted.jpg
    406.6 KB · Views: 264
This is curious to me. The pistons on the KZ1000 calipers look externally the same as the 750's but the pistons are very different: 750 on the left and 1000 on the right.

Attachments

• kzcalpistonsdiff.jpg
    kzcalpistonsdiff.jpg
    358.8 KB · Views: 258
I know the difference on the piston types now. I just had not seen them before. I think these are what you meant when we talked pistons way back in this thread Doc.

So I'm also trying to figure out rear sets. I have a spare set off a ZRX1100 wondering if I want to use them here. I didn't use the production green zip ties since this is just a mock up. ;)

I took basic measurements of the YZF since stock it comes with clipons and the seating position relative to pegs and bars works well for me.

The primary difference between the two is the YZF has a 3.5" longer reach across the tank to the bars.

I would still need to build a mounting plate for actual rear set placement.

Attachments

• yzfpegs.jpg
    yzfpegs.jpg
    340.5 KB · Views: 263
  • kzpegs.jpg
    kzpegs.jpg
    361.4 KB · Views: 261
Back
Top Bottom