KZ 750 Twin - Two point zero

irk miller said:
I like the mags and spokes for different reasons. But having a set of those mags myself, I always marveled at how heavy they actually are. The dual disc version are way worse.

I like the mags too but they don't make as much sense on this bike as I hoped. That's what mockup is for eh?

Just for curiositys sake, what is the actual weight of both wheels?

Like Doc said...can you weigh em for us? I want to go to spokes on my 1000 and would love to see the difference.

So, wheel for wheel, no cush or sprocket carrier and no brake rotor. Each has a tire, but I have no idea of the weight difference between the two tires if any. The spoke wheel/tire is 30.5 lbs and the mag/tire is 37lbs.

Attachments

• spokevsmagvsbathrmscale.jpg
    spokevsmagvsbathrmscale.jpg
    78.1 KB · Views: 250
canyoncarver said:
So, wheel for wheel, no cush or sprocket carrier and no brake rotor. Each has a tire, but I have no idea of the weight difference between the two tires if any. The spoke wheel/tire is 30.5 lbs and the mag/tire is 37lbs.

6.5 lbs is significant in unsprung and rotational weight. cool

Wow! That is significant. Thanks for the info !!! Just imagine if you went with an aluminum wheel. Dayum
You made my mind up for me ;)

I'm sticking to the steelies I've got. Alloy would be nice though.

On another note, I still have a second 750 twin that I still intend do a bit of brat style on. I got in another piece for it today. I freaking love this thing.

Attachments

• z750brat_sissy2_transport.jpg
    z750brat_sissy2_transport.jpg
    164.5 KB · Views: 260
I weighed the front wheels. The spoke/tire was 21.5lbs. The mag/tire was 22.5.lbs Only 1lb difference. I don't know what a tube weighs.

thanks or taking the time to weigh them. The 16" rear mag is the same weight as the 18" spokes with steel, both with tires. The tube (1lb) made the spoked wheel heavier.

doc_rot said:
thanks or taking the time to weigh them. The 16" rear mag is the same weight as the 18" spokes with steel, both with tires. The tube (1lb) made the spoked wheel heavier.

I'm not sure I follow. I didn't weigh my 16" rear mag which currently has no tire. I weighed the 18" mag with tire. I can weigh the 16' mag tonight. I can also weigh a new tire and figure out the wheel/tire weight. Now I'm curious about the difference in the 16" vs 18" mag weight, not that it'll matter much.

when i switched my kz750 from 16" mag to 18" spoke i found the 16" mag was lighter. however they were drum brakes

But is the 16 inch tire heavier since there is more sidewall? Diameter is very close to the same size.

More mock up. Rear wheel spacers and caliper aren't correct yet but it's pretty close. Front will need either an axle I don't seem to have found in my stuff yet or a different hub that will fit the 17mm front axle I have for those forks. Also because of the frame stand, it's not sitting at ride height either. Still, I'm digging where I think it will end up. Pretty sure I'll setup both front discs too.

Attachments

• mock1.jpg
    mock1.jpg
    143.8 KB · Views: 324
Back
Top Bottom