CA95 rescue

two questions.

1. Selector forks in the top of the case.. I did not get a good look at how they drop down on the trans gears.... and I am a little lacking in that area of the engine.. how do they line up when I put the case back on?

2. Looking for Rims.. bike bandit does not list the CA95.. is the CA77 close enough of a fit?

You build the engine upside down. That way the gearbox shafts slide into place over the selector forks. Easy.

Good question. I don't know the answer. What size are the rims or tires? They are both 16" IIRC. I suspect they are a size wider on a 305 than the 150 but they may work. You could probably fit a CB160 or 175 front wheel in there, but that wouldn't be stock

+1 on building the engine upside down. Get a cardboard box and set the upper case in it with the studs pointing down. A decent little cardboard box is enough for this little engine. Mine is more or less assembled now and has been sitting upside down in the box for weeks.

Then you can flip it back over and assemble the top end. Looks like you have a nice little stand for that.

Get some Lucas or other Assembly Oil. It's thicker stuff for use on the gears etc. Not for in bearings - just use some motor oil for those surfaces along with in the cylinders etc. when you're assembling those. And I use a Permatex red spray gasket adhesive for the paper gaskets. So far I'm leak-free on my XS650 engine.

awesome.. I would have never thought about building it upside down...... so its just a matter of.. where do the selector forks go?

Teazer,, you mind if I swing by when I get to that point for a little assistance?

LazloH said:
awesome.. I would have never thought about building it upside down...... so its just a matter of.. where do the selector forks go?

Teazer,, you mind if I swing by when I get to that point for a little assistance?

No worries mate.

I got the covers on eBay a couple years back for a steal if I recall (I choose to remember it that way). Cheaper to have old ones rechromed.

found the retaining clip for the wrist pin under the crank baffles... so I guess I can't blame the PO for everything.... Cases are getting blasted today, head should be done tomorrow.. then I get to start paint and some re-assembly.

Brother I love the truly classic look of these motorcycles and it is so nice to see that you are restoring her back to her former glory!

Thanks Joeyputt. Got my cases back from the machine shop.. painting tonight and tomorrow I start re-assembly.. they are so clean on the inside I would eat out of them.

cases.jpg

got a coat of paint on the cases... got the new clutch installed and all gears in the top of the case... Thanks for the tip of building it upside down.. my pictures were all in the bottom case so it was a bit of a brain exercise to reverse it... I have one piece that seems like it should have a retaining clip.. just have to check the parts manual and make sure I am wrong.

20120926_203253.jpg

Clarify the clip for the wrist pin - you don't mean for the piston wrist pin do you? You don't re-use those little wire retaining clips.

Looking good so far - make sure the little oil pathway entry points on those brass bushings at the ends of the transmission shafts are seated properly.

Did you score a new clutch basket?

The clip for the wrist pin is already in the trash. The whole reason that the engine was dumping so much oil is because the PO (as we thought) forgot to put that wrist pin retaining clip back on... I actually found it in the case though.. so either they did not put it on right or they reused an old on that made its way out.

Teazer made me toss the other ones we pulled off too.. so I know not to re-use.

The retainer I was hunting for is actually the half circle that goes under one of the bearings for the trans where it meets the case on the left side.. it was right where I had the trans laying... I am just blind.

Yup.. scored that clutch basket on ebay that you sent for 30 bucks. One of the ears was a little bent so I had to apply some persuasive pressure to it before the plates would slip in.

Tomorrow I find out if I win the auction for newish looking chrome side panels (25 bucks)

Jugs are here! Thanks Tim! Also got my threebond today.. and an awesome email from No Exit with all the manuals.. it covers a lot more than I had. Thanks!

cases are back together.. I should have polished the bolts.. Oh well.. pictures coming tomorrow.. got the clutch basket on the RIGHT way this time.. oil pump is back in.. bottom end is pretty much back together with a small to moderate amount of threebond.

Looking good. You can new buy zinc plated nuts and 6mm bolts at ACE hardware up on 137 and probably at other hardware stores as well.

Hey Teazer.. I got the head back and its all clean.. I am just getting back to the project and was wondering if you had some time this weekend to help me put the head back together. I lost your number.. so if you could PM me and let me know.. thanks mate!

Back
Top Bottom