1974 CB360 "Pickled"

Luck

Been Around the Block
I have been asking a few questions and was told this might be the easiest way to get questions answered and hopefully help others. I have a 1974 Honda CB360. Im trying to get back up and running first then start tearing it down to play with. I started with a bike that had 90% of the parts on it. A few of these parts will need replacing but its to be expected. I felt having a Restoration topic may help find some much needed parts as well as show everyone how things are going.
Right now I have taken the carbs apart completely and ordered the new diaphragms from JBM and K&L carb rebuild kits. Ive never worked with this type of carb before so If anyone has some insight about how to install the new diaphragms I would be grateful. My second issue after diving into the process of cleaning the carbs was finding a tweaked float and pin. I tried to get it out and straighten it but it wasn't to be. Im now on the look out for a float and pin so I can install the carb kits and get it up and running. I almost forgot, is the big o-ring in the K&L kit supposed to replace the bowl gasket or should a person order new ones from Honda? I also picked up a 3 cylinder Kawasaki 350 2-stroke S2 if anyone needs one. Terrible phone pic but at least you can see what Im up against. Any help is appreciated.

Attachments

• Mybomb.jpg
    Mybomb.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 339
What have I got going on here? I grew up with dirt bikes and never owned anything with a battery and a kickstart. Now I notice that I have a Capacitor and a kickstart. Something fishy is going on here. Will the motor run fine without a battery? I understand the starter would be void without a battery but what does this little capacitor do? How much juice can it store?

Attachments

• Battery-capacitor.jpg
    Battery-capacitor.jpg
    284 KB · Views: 354
The Kawasaki I can't remember pretty sure you need it (Points ignition or CDI?)
The CB won't run at all without a battery although if you kick it over several times with the ignition turned off that should charge the cap enough to start and run it (it will never electric start with a small cap)

Ok, battery next on the list. If I wanted to go down to a smaller battery in order to hide it easier. Would anyone have any suggestions? I unfortunately can only do one bike at a time. ;) The Kawi is going to get sold. As is or for parts, haven't decided yet. It does have some aluminum rims that Im eyeballing though.

I'm using a 12V backup battery for alarm systems. 6Ah. I don't recommend it if you plan to keep the electric starter though.

I received my K&L Carb rebuild kit today. I am wondering how to go about removing this brass piece on the left. Is this the seat that holds the needle? Im wondering what the jet or ? On the right does. Should it be removed to be cleaned? Thankyou

Attachments

• DSC00197.jpg
    DSC00197.jpg
    179.3 KB · Views: 309
Yes, they both need to come out
Neither of them are needle jets.
Do you have manual?

How do I get the darn things out? I am wondering if the one on the left is the seat? Does it have an o-ring around it? It should pull right out correct? Pliers should work, I'm throwing it out in place of the new one. The other only has a small hole so im not sure what to use. I do not have a manual but it seems as if now would be the time to find one.lol thank you

left is seat for shut off valve.
right is primary main jet discharge tube
You remove slide and push out from top using a chopstick or similar. Using a screwdriver will damage it

Holy hell batman! The seat wouldn't budge. I said the heck with it and grabbed a pliers and it still wouldn't come out. I decided to get a tap that was the correct size and hold the sides with a pliers. I made a few turns with the tap so it was screwed in fairly well. I grabbed the end of the tap with a linesmans pliers and gave the pliers a couple of small taps with a hammer and it finally came out. To be honest I was getting desperate. The seat would turn but I couldn't get a good enough grip to pull on it. I tried the chopstick trick with the primary discharge and ended up shoving the shaft right through the chopstick twice. I kept trimming back the chopstick and trying it over and over and it finally went. Now to get the chopstick out of it. lol That was a good way to spend a couple of hours. At this rate I should have it going by spring. Geez!!!

Attachments

• carb2.jpg
    carb2.jpg
    314.1 KB · Views: 325
Yep, that's the way I remove shut off valve seats ;D
Sorry about earlier, got you confused with someone else wanting carbs done
Primary tubes can be a lot tighter than that, it's barely oxidised at all compared to some I've done :eek:

You may end up with a shipping box full of carburetor stuff yet. lol How are you pressing in the new seat. I tried fitting it in last night but it didn't want to go. Just wondering if these things go in this tough. Get out a BFH? :eek: Im still looking for a float and pin. If anyone has a Keihin K-78 carb that's junk and the float is good, Im willing to pay a fair price just so I don't give those Flea-bay bastards anymore money.

First, make sure the housing is clean, the chamfer is smoothed off then oil the 'O' ring
Use a dowel to press it in
If your intending to use K&N filters you may as well save some time and send me the carbs for modification ;D
Here's a pic

This was Trek's carb

I've done a lot of carb 'mods for pods' this was to explain what goes where

Cleaned and installed. :) Received a few more things from my friendly USPS man today. Now let the shock rebuilding begin. What oil is everyone running?

Attachments

• carb3.jpg
    carb3.jpg
    242 KB · Views: 294
  • more junk.jpg
    more junk.jpg
    327.5 KB · Views: 289
Just tried my hand at the DIY soda blasting and Im astonished at the results. If I can give anyone some advice, Im sure many on here already know, Clean out your carbs the best you can, then soda blast. I think the results speak for themselves. Tomorrow I plan on filling all of the jet holes and doing the same to the top half of the carbs. I was thinking of polishing everything but I will wait until later down the road after I have things up and running.

Attachments

• Floatbowl.jpg
    Floatbowl.jpg
    251.2 KB · Views: 286
  • Floatbowl2.jpg
    Floatbowl2.jpg
    300 KB · Views: 282
Throttle shaft plug? I dont know what that is but I might. What size K&N filters are you guys running? Also what fork oil would you recommend? Thank you.

CrazyPJ, I was able to remove the main nozzle (downloaded the manual! Thanks Trek97. Thanks! ) with the chopstick method. I managed to jam part of the chopstick into one of the nozzles and cant seem to remove it.lol I may need to find a different one. That suckers STUCK! :) Carbs turned out quite nicely. Im searching the garage for things to clean with the soda blaster now. ;D Im fairly new to all of this and trying to figure things out without to many unnecessary questions but does the K&L carb kit come with an extra jet that's not used for the CB360 carbs? Thank you

Attachments

• Cleancarb.jpg
    Cleancarb.jpg
    333 KB · Views: 282
You get a piece of 1/16" rod to push out the chopstick when needle jet is re-installed in carb ;D
I use K&N RU1820 filters on 360
Throttle shaft plug closes up end of throttle shaft, the brass cap is on choke shaft

Back
Top Bottom