Rd350 resto

gijoe13844

Coast to Coast
Just picked up this beauty. 72 rd350 r5

Plan is a simple restoration.

IMG_20131218_173359_613_zpsa3eb52e4.jpg

IMG_20131218_173338_535_zps8fbe91c0.jpg

Cool! Heads up (though I'm sure you're aware), there are several differences between the R5 and RD. Most notably in the motor (piston port vs. reed valve) but if you're doing a real resto than you'll find others. Not all things are interchangeable.

VonYinzer said:
Cool! Heads up (though I'm sure you're aware), there are several differences between the R5 and RD. Most notably in the motor (piston port vs. reed valve) but if you're doing a real resto than you'll find others. Not all things are interchangeable.

I was aware of most differences I think. Do you know how easy a rd transmission swap is to get the 6 speed?

Simple as pie. I have a 400 trans in my R5. That said... BradJ did the swap for me (while I watched and fetched beers ;) ) so he'd be a better source of info.

bradj said:

6 speed from rd400 or 350 both pretty easy swap?

I plan to keep the stock front end if I sell it but for now I am wondering how well my 75 xs650 disk front would swap over without much modding.

Thoughts?

The xs hub is the same as the rd350 except the fact that both sides are drilled and taped and machined for rotors. faving said that a xs front wheel will bolt to a rd front fork with the rd hardware with a little file work i gotta go for now later ill get in to the trans

My rd has 2.15 xs650 rear hoops laced to xs650 front hubs with rd350 front spokes i also have a 120 tire up front its tight but it fits the tire is getting swaped out for a smaller something. the steering tube for a xs triple is like 2' longer than a rd/r5 and the cast lead brake calipar and rotor suck at best so toss them and grab a set off a of a fzr1000 cut the bolt circle out of your stock rotor and use it as a 1/4 spacer the big brakes will move the calipar placement to the narrowest spread ofor the spokes so all you need to do is dress the inside od the 4 pot brake calipars with a grinder and build a adapter plate and your set

bradj said:
My rd has 2.15 xs650 rear hoops laced to xs650 front hubs with rd350 front spokes i also have a 120 tire up front its tight but it fits the tire is getting swaped out for a smaller something. the steering tube for a xs triple is like 2' longer than a rd/r5 and the cast lead brake calipar and rotor suck at best so toss them and grab a set off a of a fzr1000 cut the bolt circle out of your stock rotor and use it as a 1/4 spacer the big brakes will move the calipar placement to the narrowest spread ofor the spokes so all you need to do is dress the inside od the 4 pot brake calipars with a grinder and build a adapter plate and your set

Ok I think I got all of that. Just throwing this out there...would my entire 75 xs650 front end swap over and make the process easier? I havent done any measurements as it is currently 15 degrees out in my shop. I have a parts xs that has a complete front end...may be worth making the swap if it will fix and hold on to the stock front if I decide to sell later.

The tube on the xs steering stem is way longer than the rd so if you swap them or shortin the xs tube and use the correct bearings

Gijoe, I put up a spreadsheet on here with every transmission part and all the models that fits it
http://www.dotheton.com/forum/index.php?topic=52382.msg585726#msg585726

Let me know if you can't open it. Also I've got a ds7 seat that is in better shape than that one although not perfect.

Subscribed ;)

I've got all the nitpicky stuff I took off my DS7 in a box in the shed. I'll get ya some pics, but if you need/can use any of it, you're welcome to it.

clem said:
Gijoe, I put up a spreadsheet on here with every transmission part and all the models that fits it
http://www.dotheton.com/forum/index.php?topic=52382.msg585726#msg585726

Let me know if you can't open it. Also I've got a ds7 seat that is in better shape than that one although not perfect.

Dude that spreadsheet is awesome. Thanks

Do you have a photo of the seat??

Redbird said:
Subscribed ;)

I've got all the nitpicky stuff I took off my DS7 in a box in the shed. I'll get ya some pics, but if you need/can use any of it, you're welcome to it.

I am looking for a nicer rear fender, seat, and indicators.

Complete list of what I need.

What is a good resource to buy the external crank seals?

I need opinion on these Case pieces and Tins. Can't decide if I want to just leave them, repaint, or find better ones.

Tank is worse than it looks. Really faded. Considering wet sanding and re-clearing.

Bucket is bad

Seat is terrible.

Looking for a nice front and rear fender also.

Looking to replace all parts if someone has better pieces at a good price.

Please PM me.

Replaced wiring harness, battery, plugs, wires today. Has good compression and plugs are firing.

gijoe13844 said:
Dude that spreadsheet is awesome. Thanks

Do you have a photo of the seat??
I don't have a pic right now but should be able to get one after work tomorrow.

gijoe13844 said:
I am looking for a nicer rear fender, seat, and indicators.
Sadly, I have none of that :(
The fender got chopped into just a splash guard for the carbs, my seat was in worse shape than yours, and it only had one bent/broken indicator one it when I got it... and I think that was the first thing to hit the trash can.

Back
Top Bottom