82 GL1100 Rat

NakedWing82

First Bike, First Wing, First Custom
Hey all, brand new to the site. Have done a lot of reading here but first day registered. I am doing a low budget 82 Gl1100 and shooting for a cafe "look" but I love the raw feel of a "rat bike." I traded a shotgun for the bike that has 73k miles on it, running and drivable from day 1. The gun was a gifrt so $0 invested. I have done what mechanically I am capable of (with the help of the DTT forums) like cleaning carbs and disassembling the bike, i.e. taking all the stuff off that I didn't want. Yesterday the Jardines came off and were replaced with a couple mainstream auto store tips. I am a salesman in a Motorcycle/ATV/UTV shop so I obviously love my discount. Next step is drag bars and new grips.....

Attachments

• photo 1.JPG
    photo 1.JPG
    2 MB · Views: 450
  • photo 6.jpg
    photo 6.jpg
    2.5 MB · Views: 521
  • photo 8.jpg
    photo 8.jpg
    2.1 MB · Views: 390
  • photo 12.jpg
    photo 12.jpg
    892 KB · Views: 395
  • photo 16.jpg
    photo 16.jpg
    2.2 MB · Views: 423
nice job they are a good looking bike once you strip the mountain of junk off

pm me if you want to sell the mufflers you took off i could use them

thanx CX. Its an ongoing project but I keep putting it back together after each step because the weather is so beautiful I wanna ride it to work every day. It also gets better mileage than my F150...... and I am not a rich man so every bit helps

sitting outside the shop today, newest pic... my effing brake light loosened up on the ride in and dropped onto the rear tire, breaking the plastic..... totally getting some red tape till I can buy an LED setup for the rear

Attachments

• photo 18.jpg
    photo 18.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 368
I was wondering if anyone knows some rear shocks that bolt in to replace the stock air set up and lower the tail a little. i swear it seems like there's 10 feet between the frame and the top of the tire. Thanx in advance.

P.S.....Anybody have a set?

update..... actually bought a $8 tail/brake combo with clear window for license plate. thank god my local A.Z. keeps decent shit in stock

NakedWing82 said:
update..... actually bought a $8 tail/brake combo with clear window for license plate. thank god my local A.Z. keeps decent shit in stock

These are some rear shocks i put on our wing, also an '82 GL1100. I can't recall the specific model, but they were aftermarket Harley shocks for something like an FLHSTUCLAXB or some other spaghetti soup model. Bolted right on, about 1.75 in lower I believe, maybe 2in lower...its been a while. BTW, it was an Interstate ful dresser, but when we got done it had lost over 180lbs!!

hahaha spaghetti soup..... thats a good looking wing you have yourself, thanx for the input, i'll probably hit some swap meets locally and CL to see if any parts bikes have a decent rear pair of shocks i could pick up super cheap. Mine was also a fully dressed Interstate, i think i misspoke in the other thread. I dont have any way to weigh my bike but I can really feel how much lighter it is now. The drag bars make it feel much more nimble as well.

you know charlie.... 7 out of 10 Harleys are still on the road today.........

.....the other 3 were lucky enough to make it home :D

The shocks on that wing were only around $80, new , so not bad at all. After all, they are Harley shocks, nothing hi-tech about them. Where is it you're located?

just spent 45 min of my 1hr lunch break just riding around town....... man I love this old wing and the way it sounds all opened up.......

question for the love of bikes...... Front fender or no? I am battling with myself about it but am not sure of the pros/cons of the decision. Is it a necessity for a daily rider or not really?

Funny you should mention the front fender? I just read through and you have a cool bike going, I'm digging it.. I would definitely keep the front fender you and the bike get sand blasted without it. I also put the chrome bumper bracket back on, maybe blacked out? It's cool IMO.
Cheers, 50gary

i took the jai alai xistera. (racket) off the front and put a much smaller fender on that thing is huge

50gary said:
Funny you should mention the front fender? I just read through and you have a cool bike going, I'm digging it.. I would definitely keep the front fender you and the bike get sand blasted without it. I also put the chrome bumper bracket back on, maybe blacked out? It's cool IMO.
Cheers, 50gary

thanx man, I think Im going to leave it, just reduce it. Ill probably steal a piece of chalk from my boys and mark some idea lines on the fender and stand back and take it in. a lot of mark, look, wipe, mark, look, wipe..... until i love it and then cut it.

cxman said:
i took the jai alai xistera. (racket) off the front and put a much smaller fender on that thing is huge

Thats exactly what i was thinking. reshape and shorten my seat and use the leftover piece for a small rear fender...... or cut the stock rear i have sitting in my shed if the allignment works better

cxman said:
How many people on earth even know what jai alai is? LOL

fastest ball game on earth !!!!

my grandmother lived in miami and used to take me to the games when i was a kid and visiting lol

25 years ago it was huge

ball speeds of up to 200 plus mph

Back
Top Bottom