No more speeding for me - Ministry is on my case!

Tim

Administrator
Staff member
Got a warning letter from the Ministry today - one more speeding ticket and I'm in for a chat. Just got one a month ago, thankfully just as one rolled out of the 2 year window, so I'm sitting with 6 points. At 9 I get to go for a discussion and possible suspension.

So no more ton-runs for me for a while, or at minimum I'll have to fight the next ticket in court ;)

That Blows. You guys have the camera radar eh? We don't yet but I have seen them in TO. We still need to have a cop with a gun catch us. Or did you get pulled over? Either way that sucks.

Speed trap - got pulled over doing 71 in a 50, coming from an offramp off the highway. Money grab, pure and simple. Had nothing to do with safety.

No more camera radar - we have some red-light cameras that I think have radar in them, so if you get caught running a red light, they can nail you for speeding too, but only if you run a red I think. We had the photo-radar vans a few years back, but an election got rid of those. It was insane - they were issuing thousands of tickets a day.

That's good to know. MAybe I am thinking of Montreal. I saw them on overpasses the last time I was driving up that way. they may not have been speed cameras, I wasn't sure, but I slowed down a bit just in case. When I want to go fast I use the back roads not the highways, less chance of speed traps as the volume doesn't justify it. They won't make their quota??

Here they are prohibited from pursuing bikes, no helicopter anymore, and there's only a 5 mile stretch of one road with cameras.

A lot of my friends don't even run license plates at all.

Amazing how things like a letter works isn't it? In my teens I picked up speeding ticket after speeding ticket and had no problem with them until I stood before a judge who said "If you appear before one more time in the next six months I'll hang your license for a year!". As the city had only one traffic court judge it wasn't an idle threat. There was no chance of appearing before another judge. Worked wonders!

Well I'm only taking it easy till July, which is when one of the two offences on file falls out of the 2 year window :) Then I'm back down to 3 points and can rack up another ticket.

Unfortunately with hitting the ton every time I ride the bike to work on the 401, if I get nailed, it will likely be for 160km/h plus and they'll likely just run my bike over at the side of the road and burn my license with out street racing rules.

Anything 50km over the limit is a BIG problem.

there's only one thing left to do. Ding a dang dong your ding a lang ling long. Tell that to the judge...er Al.

What is this Ministry thing? I mean I know about the Ministry of Silly Walks but you mean to tell me there is a Ministry of speeding? Next thing you'll tell me is there is a Ministry of parallel parking.

Ministry of Tranportation - Ontario (MTO). Same as your DMV or DOT.

Disliked23 said:
I wish this thread would turn into a contest as to who can make the best ministry joke.
jesus built the bike he's only speeding because psalm 69 says to do so. We know he's a religious man trying to do no harm, and the MTO is trying to rape him in the land of honey.

well there's only one cure for avoiding tickets....
unfortunatly that means not speeding

pawn said:
jesus built the bike he's only speeding because psalm 69 says to do so. We know he's a religious man trying to do no harm, and the MTO is trying to rape him in the land of honey.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5FSsThxH-QQ

Been there.

Lost my license for speeding back when I was even more young and stupid. Hah... And there are no speed cameras here. Got em all the old fashioned way... Think I've had 6 in my 8 years driving. Doesn't sound so bad that way. :p
(4 of them were when I was 16, hence the suspension... one was on a spot where the highway dropped from 100 to 60 last summer, and one on the bike 2 years ago)

Really try not to speed now... max 10 over around the city.

I have a friend that recently got pinched by the fuzz doing 50 over...in a rental car. The cops in an airplane tagged him doing 150km on the 401. They pulled him over (in a cop car) , impounded the car and basically left him on the side of the road 100km from Toronto.

(Ministry is also a band...which is where all these hot jokes are coming from)

Maritime Biker said:
That's good to know. MAybe I am thinking of Montreal. I saw them on overpasses the last time I was driving up that way. they may not have been speed cameras, I wasn't sure, but I slowed down a bit just in case. When I want to go fast I use the back roads not the highways, less chance of speed traps as the volume doesn't justify it. They won't make their quota??

ya, they did install photo-radars recently, for both speed and red lights. But it's on "trial" for the
first 3 months (until august 1st). You're only supposed to get a warning by mail. I've heard stories of
people "testing" them... and other stories that some bike are invisible to them somehow.

we'll see how it goes after their pilot project. . .

Back
Top Bottom