CM400T Cafe >FINISHED!

Re: My CM400T Cafe Build - Now a CMB400 Frankenfe

+1 for the fork brace. No question, keep the dynamic alignment, structural integrity of the front end.
In my mind, the stanchions have two solid points of support/attachment so the legs should have as well to stop the front wheel slopping around like a slack pizza.

Erskine said:
+1 for the fork brace. No question, keep the dynamic alignment, structural integrity of the front end.
In my mind, the stanchions have two solid points of support/attachment so the legs should have as well to stop the front wheel slopping around like a slack pizza.

Thanks for following my thread.

It will be one or the other (Fender or Brace) I would never consider running it naked. The fender mount bracket acts as a brace as well, not as beefy as the aluminum brace. So to me it is a "Visual Choice"
A) With Fender to me is more "Vintage" looking
B) With Brace only is more Beefy/Mean/Muscle looking.

To be road legal in the UK a front mudguard has to be fitted, I'd much rather just have a nice beefy brace alone. Double mounted on each leg.
Enjoying your build!

I guess I should consider myself lucky in that in Arizona/USA I have very few restrictions and can pretty well run a truely stripped to the bones Cafe bike. About all it needs is one Mirror, a Horn, a Headlight & Brake/Tail Light and Brakes on at least one wheel. Heck we don't even have to wear a helmet! no turn signals, No Speedo, No Fenders. There are noise restrictions, but they are rarely enforced.

I guess we have the freedom to build the perfect death trap, if so inclined.

Man... Great bike!

Your right. They can be a little challenging, but kinda made it fun. I'm sure you would agree.

Lou

Decided to gets some pics of it with the Brace (Erskine) before it doesn't look like a motorcycle anymore (Strip, Tabs off, Tabs On, Blast, Powdercoat, Bodywork and Paint)

What to do about those cheap azz Fork Boots?

0317111605a.jpg

0317111607a.jpg

0317111614a.jpg

looking good! how about jubilee clips to keep the top of the gaiters up.
Fk knows what you lot call them though.
They look like this.
http://www.jubileeclips.co.uk/
That head light really brings it all together.

Erskine said:
looking good! how about jubilee clips to keep the top of the gaiters up.
Fk knows what you lot call them though.
They look like this.
http://www.jubileeclips.co.uk/
That head light really brings it all together.

Thanks, I have always liked the Long buckets with gauges. The problem with the the Boots is they are cheap after markets that cracked and tore almost immediately, they fit OK at top and bottom but bunched & looked like junk through the middle.

I think I will move the the Original switch from the left hole to one I drill in the middle, Keep the right hole the Blue High Beam Indicator and mount a Green Neutral Inidicator in the old Switch hole on the left. The Red Oil Preassure is in the gauge. Call me compulsive, I like things symetric when possible.

What Jets are you running? I'm currently giving my cb400t the Cafe treatment.

I think the CM400T & CB400T have different carbs, Put up a build thread on your CB400T, and I will gladly post on your thread. (I am always anxious to see different peoples approach to the bike)....or pm me and I will share. But I would really like to see what you are doing with yours. What filters and exhaust are you running?

simianred said:
What Jets are you running? I'm currently giving my cb400t the Cafe treatment.

Quick update. Since I had basically finished mock up, I am in the process of tear down, going slow and documentimg/bagging parts to ease re-assembly.

Tank, seat and headlight are with painter. I have made a few changes in suspension.

The fork boots I bought on ebay turned out to be junk and are already tearing and cracking. I have always liked the look of exposed helper springs on the upper fork tubes, I found a nice set of Springs/Guides/Bushings/Boots on ebay from a '68 Suzuki T500. they are for 34mm tubes 1mm larger than the CM400's 33mm tubes. I am thinking I will run without the boots, but we will see. I do find it amazing the condition these are in considering they are 43 years old. they are in better condition than the "New" ones I bought on ebay. ...they don't make'm like they used too.

I also decided I wanted to change up the stance to a more aggressive front down, a$$ up profile. To accomplish this I am going back to the original CM400T cast alloy Upper Triple Tree that allows the fork tubes to be slid up through and lower the front. I also found a set of '81 CB750F (Super Sport) rear shocks, they are 1.75" longer than the stock CM shocks. They also have multiple dampening adjustments, that the originals don't

Changing from a cup triple tree to a clamp triple is 100% the way to go!
Mahoosive difference. :) :)

Ersk...Thanks for the confirmation on my planned Triple Tree change, and the Education that my current style is referred to as "Cup"...and widening my Vocabulary to include "Mahoosive" ....I had to google it to get the definition.

Headlight=awesome. And I really like that fork brace, man. That looks custom, similar to the braces that the fenders are mounted on, but better. Nice.

Ringo said:
Headlight=awesome. And I really like that fork brace, man. That looks custom, similar to the braces that the fenders are mounted on, but better. Nice.

Ringo: After seeing the work you did with the "Gulf Bike" ... Having you even look at my thread, let alone compliment me in any way is appreciated and valued.

Believe it or not the brace somehow found its way onto a CB77 I bought awhile back and quickly flipped to fund my other projects, but not I before removed the brace to keep.

Frankenfe, I am loving the seat with the old tank, and incorporating the seat attachment for the release.

Also loving the headlight.

I will PM you soon for some info on how you did the rear sets
Keep up the work man, its looking great

Hey Frankenfe, bike is looking good man. I love the look of helper springs and if my forks didn't have the seals on top I might consider running some, but they will look great on your bike. I'm going to have to fab a fork brace soon since I probably will not be running a front fender. I also dig the headlight with the gauge, and you know I'm all about the face down a$$ up cafe look haha. Once I get mine on the road, we will have to cruise. I'm on the AZ Cafe Meet Up page and they are always doing stuff around the valley. Keep up the good work!

Great thread for seeing how everybody handles these bikes. I like the seat made from the matching tank. It makes for a good flow front to back. These make for a great first bike, easy to work on.

Cheers.

Spending too much time on the Now What thread... Some pics of what I am planning:

Stripped and cut off the gauge tabs from a cast Alum Upper Tree from a CM400T. I want this for the look as well as the ability to slide the fork tubes through the upper clamp a little, to lower the front end.
TripTreesTop.jpg

Cut off the big ugly Fork Lock and added a mount on the lower tree for the NHK ODM-500 Steering Damper.
TripTreesBottom.jpg

Tacked in place the frame mount & small Brace for the Steering Damper.
DamperFrameMount.jpg

Cleaned one CB750F Showa Rear shock. Test mounted and did need to bend a liitle on the lip of the frame to clear top end. Being these are 2" longer than the the stock CM shocks I should get a lift in the rear of about 1.5" and greater ability to make shock adjustments, including damping that the CMs didn't have. They bolt on the same as stock CM (Different on the CB400T on top mount).
CB750FShock.jpg

So the idea is to likt the rear and lower the front. I will be also adding some Helper Springs from a '68 Suzi T500. I hope to be able to push the forks through about an inch or so.
Fork2.jpg

Fork1.jpg

On final assmbly I will do some clean up, shortening/lengthening of wires but the tray is pretty well fitted with component mounts, and the ignition accessable from under.
BatteryTrayTop.jpg

BatteryTrayBottom.jpg

Back
Top Bottom