first build 75 cl360

theBradford

Been Around the Block
Hello all, I picked up this old girl last summer and am getting ready to start ordering parts and putting it back together.

Attachments

• 003.JPG
    003.JPG
    142 KB · Views: 1,337
Found out that the tank that came with it is for a cb350 i think so ended up just buying one in the forums after many monthes of searching. I cant complain only paying $75 for the bike though. Going to try and clean up the exhaust but have lots of work ahead.

Attachments

• 001.JPG
    001.JPG
    134 KB · Views: 1,366
The temperature got alittle nicer today here in WI so after work I cut into the mufflers. One of them was completely roached so I'll probably weld in a new baffle and wrap it with packing, then bend up some new steel and weld it shut. The other muffler is in good shape and just needs to be blown out and both need a new tip.

Attachments

• 001.JPG
    001.JPG
    137.1 KB · Views: 1,256
Before I give up on these carbs, it appears that I am missing some screws in them.
Anybody know what they are? Thanks

Attachments

• 002.JPG
    002.JPG
    140.9 KB · Views: 1,310
  • 003.JPG
    003.JPG
    137.9 KB · Views: 1,350
Those are the sync ports. They should have a brass machine screw with a washer. Its a very fine thread pitch.

i'm no expert (that is an understatement of monumental proportions) but... I'd say those mufflers are going to need a lot more work than they are worth. If you look around on this site you'll see a number of very clever ways to deal with high mufflers on a CL. Not sure of your budget but if your time is worth anything those mufflers need to find a home in the trash.

I'd second that. The headers from a CL are worth a bit, though. You can probably sell or trade them for a complete system from another 360.

Yeah you are both right, after about an hour of trying to weld on them all i did is blow thru. Time to add mufflers to my dcc wishlist.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/CL-360-CB-360-Honda-74-75-76-Scrambler-Exhaust-Headers-Muffler-OEM-Original-/230929088443?pt=Motorcycles_Parts_Accessories&hash=item35c4723fbb&vxp=mtr

;) Can't wait to see it come together!

Big thanks to GIJoe and Crazypj. Got my tank and luggage rack today as described. Mr.PJ has on its way the carb parts i need to fire this ole girl up.

Attachments

• 001.JPG
    001.JPG
    138.1 KB · Views: 1,218
I managed to get all of the motor covers off this weekend and due to alittle warm up outside I dismantled the forks. Now it's time to start polishing.

Attachments

• 002.JPG
    002.JPG
    149.3 KB · Views: 990
  • 001.JPG
    001.JPG
    149.9 KB · Views: 991
Today I received my new unifilters and sanded down the engine covers to 400 grit with an orbital sander. The next couple nights will be sanding all the nooks and crannies of the covers then polishing.

Attachments

• 001.JPG
    001.JPG
    133.3 KB · Views: 1,005
  • 002.JPG
    002.JPG
    146.6 KB · Views: 998
Hi there.New to the Site.Bike is looking good.Just started my first build too.How do you get the grime and aluminum oxidation off the engine.my engine looks about the same as yours.do you plan to paint whole engine.Look forward to seeing bike progress.will try and get some pics of mine up.thanks Bob

Thanks Bob, well there might be a better way but I've been sanding the parts down. I usually start with 80 grit then 180, 400 or 600 then polishing compound. I was going to polish the entire motor but decided that I actually want to ride the bike this year, ;D. so am just going to polish the side covers. I am planning on painting the motor and sanding the edges of the fins. Whatcha building Bob?

First one.Got A kawasaki 1978 kl 250 in rough shape.not running but has good compression and spark.Have it stripped to frame now and ordered parts from dcc.just took in for stripping and priming then going to start piecing together. Hope to have done for nice weather.We will see.saw picture of your engine and thought would ask what you had in mind.have not starting cleaning that up yet.been sandblasting and painting other parts.a little at atime.Cheers

I'm sorry, luggage rack? Don't get me wrong, to each there own.

But that thing weighs more that full tank of gas.

I think I'm more upset I didn't sell you mine.

Where in WI are you? (MGD - the "M" stands for Milwaukee)

Keep on building, I'm watching. 8)

Haha, in my defense, my other mode of transportation gets 10 mpg going down hill so I plan to make full use of this bike this season. Now the rack will not be on the bike all the time just when I need it. I am living up in Stratford, a small town north of marshfield.

Today I received all new stainless allen head bolts for my motor, nice! I am also pondering swapping the front end off of my cb550 as well as the rear wheel, since it doesn't have a title anyways. Just not sure if it will work yet.

I agree with you finnigan, it's too bad whoever painted didn't prime it first. You cant see it in the pic but you can see the factory orange color through the paint in many spots. Tonight after work I pulled the front end off of the cb550 and it liooks like it should bolt right up ;D. The forecast says rain freezing rain and snow all weekend so perfect time to polish these forks and finish the engine covers.

Attachments

• 002.JPG
    002.JPG
    148.3 KB · Views: 750
Back
Top Bottom