1973 cb500 build

Re: 1973 cb500 build by a 17 year old

He just got in over his head fast. K.I.S.S. Keep it simple stupid! Things like swapping a 360 tranny into a 350 or building a custom fiberglass tank with a metal fuel tank underneath dont need to be done on your first build. Good luck!

Just ribbing ya...I can't help it with titles that have "built by a _________". Good luck!

gijoe13844 said:
He just got in over his head fast. K.I.S.S. Keep it simple stupid! Things like swapping a 360 tranny into a 350 or building a custom fiberglass tank with a metal fuel tank underneath dont need to be done on your first build. Good luck!
yeah im going to keep this one simple. I like that look anyway. I had a vision in my head and found that Steel Bent Customs has already made a bike similar to what I want. I did a little MS Paint mock up of my color scheme.
Ringo said:
Just ribbing ya...I can't help it with titles that have "built by a _________". Good luck!
Its funny you say that because the reason I put my age in there was to get more people to look over my build. That way I get more input and advice from people who actually know what they are doing. Also I can get answers to some questions I know I will have.

Attachments

• paint scheme 1.jpg
    paint scheme 1.jpg
    569.3 KB · Views: 310
  • paint scheme.jpg
    paint scheme.jpg
    573.1 KB · Views: 357

Just my 2 pennies but i would recommend keeping your stock airbox on this one. Trying to rejet for pods or K&N's will be difficult and most would agree you will never get close to full performance again. Add in the 4 to 1 exhaust and you have a tuning nightmare. I personally like the look of that bike and have thought of doing something similar but the pods create a significant barrier for even experience mechanics. Make sure you rebuild the important things. Make sure your brakes are good and your shocks are good. (dont go super china cheap) Dont skimp there or they may be peeling you off the freeway. If you do decide to go with pods (please dont) then make sure you add an inner fender to prevent crap from hitting your filters. This picture is missing that and is essentially a rolling piece of artwork.

I know you are on a budget and good k&n's run 40 each, a battery eliminator can run you 200-300. I love the open triangle/batteryless look but it comes with its costs.

gijoe13844 said:
Just my 2 pennies but i would recommend keeping your stock airbox on this one. Trying to rejet for pods or K&N's will be difficult and most would agree you will never get close to full performance again. Add in the 4 to 1 exhaust and you have a tuning nightmare. I personally like the look of that bike and have thought of doing something similar but the pods create a significant barrier for even experience mechanics. Make sure you rebuild the important things. Make sure your brakes are good and your shocks are good. (dont go super china cheap) Dont skimp there or they may be peeling you off the freeway. If you do decide to go with pods (please dont) then make sure you add an inner fender to prevent crap from hitting your filters. This picture is missing that and is essentially a rolling piece of artwork.

I know you are on a budget and good k&n's run 40 each, a battery eliminator can run you 200-300. I love the open triangle/batteryless look but it comes with its costs.
That is another problem I am going to have. The PO put on velocity stacks and a 4 into 1 exhaust on the bike. What are your thoughts on Stacks? I always thought they looked good and would produce more power if you jetted right, but after reading up a lot in the SOHC4 and this forum I wanted to do pods instead. Where can I buy this factory airbox? I am about to put the carbs back together and the rebuild kit comes with the stock jets that are much smaller than the ones I took out so now when I go to start it, its going to run really lean. Is this the combo needed for the stock airbox? http://www.ebay.com/itm/1971-72-HONDA-CB500-CB-500-FOUR-K0-K1-USED-OEM-INTAKE-AIRBOX-BOOT-MANIFOLDS-/330893433217?pt=Motorcycles_Parts_Accessories&vxp=mtr&hash=item4d0ac91981
Paired with this http://4into1.com/uni-foam-stock-air-filter-cb500-cb550/

Ohh and I also am going to use a battery. The bike in the pics has one on top of the swing arm I believe. You can just barely see it behind the frame. That is what I plan on doing.

Velocity stacks done right can get you better performance than the pods. They restrict airflow on a lot of carbs. Best performance will almost always come from stock airbox set up. PJ did a whole thing on it. Let me find it.

here is the thread...read it...

http://www.dotheton.com/forum/index.php?topic=45863.0

Go to the link that PJ links to on his first post as well.

I too vote for the stock airbox, but if you really want that open area under the seat, search for "anti-pod" on the sohc4 forums. It's a great compact "airbox", more of just a big filter, with stacks built in. Easier to tune and very good, high-flow, filtration.

Ringo said:
I too vote for the stock airbox, but if you really want that open area under the seat, search for "anti-pod" on the sohc4 forums. It's a great compact "airbox", more of just a big filter, with stacks built in. Easier to tune and very good, high-flow, filtration.
I agree that the stock airbox is a better idea but it would look so bad. What I don't understand is why everyone says to use the airbox and there are posts everywhere about "don't use pods, Jetting nightmare" but everyone still uses them. Like everyone. I really like the antipod system and I actually thought about that while reading about all of the bad things about pods but the price scared me. I cant really afford one of those with a minimum wage job. ohh and btw the bike didn't come with the stock airbox

Bc cafe racer cutlure has become about looks not performance. You can make a stock airbox with sidecovers look SICK!

But you have to decide what you want. Bc pod filters will work. The motor will run. But the performance will suffer. Bad.

Its a choice. Ive heard several ppl on this site and others say something that fits perfect...

You can have:

Performance
Shiny
Cheap

Pick two...

you cant have good performance, visual appeal, and be cheap....you need to pick two! What two do you pick? :)

The joke with that so called anti pod is that a stock airbox has stacks inside it on most SOHC 4s. We use CB500 stacks on one race bike and CB750 on two others.

Good stacks improve airflow slightly and filters keep crap out of the motor which seems like a smart idea. Pods are not the end of the world but most cheap pods are bad for performance and good ones are large and not very pretty.

Agreed, I think the purpose of the anti pod was to eliminate the air box, while still incorporating stock-like stacks and good filtration, encouraging people away from emgo crap.

I'm sensing some......I'm not sure what, teazer..... :)

teazer said:
The joke with that so called anti pod is that a stock airbox has stacks inside it on most SOHC 4s. We use CB500 stacks on one race bike and CB750 on two others.

Good stacks improve airflow slightly and filters keep crap out of the motor which seems like a smart idea. Pods are not the end of the world but most cheap pods are bad for performance and good ones are large and not very pretty.
So what would you suggest doing? I already have stacks but i want better filtration but i dont like the stock airbox and everyone says avoid pods. Ahh this is stressfull hahaha ;)
Ringo said:
Agreed, I think the purpose of the anti pod was to eliminate the air box, while still incorporating stock-like stacks and good filtration, encouraging people away from emgo crap.

I like the anti-pod system but it costs too much. if i do pods then i will get nice k&n's or nice UNI's

If those are your options I would go with the unis. You will still need to do some jetting to run even close to normal.

Ringo said:

How many times have we tried to persuade someone not to fit pods or stacks and to fit a stock airbox and 99% of the time, they do what they were planning on and learn the way we all learned - by trying. I figure=, just give teh man some options and let him make his own mind up.

A Cb500 doesn't have CV carbs, so jetting for pods is less of a PIA than some bikes. If the bike were mine, I'd like a stock airbox and filter with built in stacks.

If that was not an option I'd see if I could get some OVAL shaped K&Ns with lots of filter area. Next option would be UNIs which filter OK but don't look very pretty on a 4 stroke.

I might even consider a set of decent stacks with filters over the top when I ride and off when I take pictures.

teazer said:
How many times have we tried to persuade someone not to fit pods or stacks and to fit a stock airbox and 99% of the time, they do what they were planning on and learn the way we all learned - by trying. I figure=, just give teh man some options and let him make his own mind up.

A Cb500 doesn't have CV carbs, so jetting for pods is less of a PIA than some bikes. If the bike were mine, I'd like a stock airbox and filter with built in stacks.

If that was not an option I'd see if I could get some OVAL shaped K&Ns with lots of filter area. Next option would be UNIs which filter OK but don't look very pretty on a 4 stroke.

I might even consider a set of decent stacks with filters over the top when I ride and off when I take pictures.
Well I haven't made a decision, but as it stands I think I might go with the airbox. I learned today that the bigger size pilot jets for these bikes are not made anymore. Is this true? If that's the case then I might have to go with the stock airbox. Do you know where I can find them? I have looked all over ebay and cant find a good one and the ones that are on there are crap.

Ringo said:
Cool cool, good start. Now don't start smoking tons of weed, blaming your parents for all your fuckups, and wasting your bike money on crap euro hatchbacks. Better yet, just go read Rocan's build. Godspeed.

better yet read Chris's build (in his sig line) . Chris is much more obsessive than most but from him you can learn [understatement]attention to detail[/understatement]

I can offer detail tuning and the version of the story with the donkey in it .

At this point the rank and file expects me to go into a tirade about individual filters . I'm going to disappoint them . You can make these carbs work with individual air filters and work well.

However

Have you considered finding a way to plumb air from the front into a custom airbox ? Just a thought .

Good call on the evilbay brass , Most is junk . Buy jet drills and as many stock pilots as you can find . There are some tricks to drilling jets just ask , I'll be happy to take up an hour of your time .

We'll be watching

~kop

Cant wait to see the finished product. Until then I will be lurking around the updates you post.

I was wondering about the anti-pod system so I went searching. I'm sure you're aware, but just in case - the OP handed the creation off to classicmotorcyclesolution.com and is no longer making them himself.

Start looking online and at salvage yards for stock air box setups if you decide to go that way. Pick and Pay yards usually have the best prices on parts if you have one near you.

Signed up for another "CB built by a teen" thread. ;D

Back
Top Bottom