CB77 Superhawk Build

I haven't run them yet, just installed. They look good. You have to modify the included hanging bracket, but nothing crazy

FYI centerstand isn't 11lbs, 2-4lbs maximum. It's very useful, hard to justify the weight loss, but it does improve the look of the bike to remove it...

Don't get so caught up on speed though, owning a 305 these days is more about style. No matter what you do to the engine, there will always be much faster stock '80s bikes for under $1000 available on Craigslist...

Pretty neat going wireless Jsharp. I'm thinking of the opposite, which would be deleting the kicker, but I'm lazy...

Any progress?

v30magna said:
Pretty neat going wireless Jsharp. I'm thinking of the opposite, which would be deleting the kicker, but I'm lazy...

Any progress?

Not a ton of progress overall. More sanding/filling on the seat, and I picked out the color for my tins. Did i mention deleting the centerstand? i don't remember saying that.

I made a lot of progress today, but it's mostly what I call "unidentifiable progress". Meaning, little things that aren't easily noticeable.

For those of you who don't know, the foot pegs mount to these aluminum brackets that allow you to position the foot controls in 3 different places and also hangs the exhaust. The right side on mine was broken right in front of the rear-most mounting point and the exhaust hanger. I replaced mine with a spare one, after having it worked on a bit. This meant driving out the swing arm pivot and replacing it. Then I relocated both pegs to the rear position.

With the clubmans and the foot controls moved back, the bike is now very very comfortable. All of my bodyweight is at my seat, not my wrists.

I also shaped the top of the rear fender (after the hack) so that it's flat. And did a lot of sanding on the seat.

Pictures in a few minutes

You can see the broken mount held above the new one

Attachments

• ImageUploadedByTapatalk1378165809.068114.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1378165809.068114.jpg
    119.2 KB · Views: 1,348
  • ImageUploadedByTapatalk1378165822.697048.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1378165822.697048.jpg
    110.9 KB · Views: 1,398
oh, and i settled on a color for the tins. It's a toyota/scion color, Magnetic Grey Metallic. It's like a dark grey with subtle metallic. I wanted something almost black, but definitely not black.

I made some more progress on the seat. After I finish the bodywork, I'll probably end up making a mold from the whole thing and popping out another one for road use. This one is getting pretty heavy, I'm still learning how to make a good fiberglass part.

Attachments

• seat-trimmed_web.jpg
    seat-trimmed_web.jpg
    79.1 KB · Views: 1,095
v30magna said:
swapping in a pocketbike horn for the factory unit will net some weight loss.

jsharpphoto said:
i'm deleting the horn all together. none of my bikes have horns.

A horn is too heavy ? Seriously dude?
The horn is the only defensive weapon you have.... when that clueless driver with the screaming kid in the minivan is texting her way into your lane.....

The horn is a basic safety common sense ( and even most 3rd world countries require them )

just concerned for your safety.... it's your bike and you can do what you want :)

In my experience, if I'm hitting the horn on a bike, it's because I should have already been doing something else. A horn on a bike is only helpful if it can be heard at road speeds, mine can't. So I'm not bothering with it.

And seriously? I'm getting a "common sense safety" from the guy who spray-painted over his headlight?

teazer said:
Let's play nice. :)

fair enough.

Hey teazer, have you ever seen someone mono shock a CB77? I think the tubular spine design of the frame would make a good backbone for the upper shock mount.

Not so far, but maybe we are about to see one. :)

I love the CB72/77 Hondas but to be brutally honest they never did handle all that well and modern tires or suspension might be enough to twist them into a pretzel.

As a pure design/custom exercise, it could look amazing with that motor and say a Moto2 style vestigial race seat up there in space behind. That could be insanely cool and the motor would be the focal point. You would need a stunning 3D tank ie more than slab sides unless it could be made to work with the toaster tank and I don't see those lines gelling. Maybe something like a sculpted 999 tank might work.

it was just an idea, but it would need an entire new swing arm, and at that point you'd want a modern front end to balance it out....

at that point, it's just a beautiful money-pit. It would be beautiful though, for reals.

jsharpphoto said:
And seriously? I'm getting a "common sense safety" from the guy who spray-painted over his headlight?

Aahah spit my drink out at this!

Anyway, build is looking good man..with or without the monoshock! ;)

While I've been working more on the seat, I've just had my rear fender sitting on the rear tire. I think it's kind of cool. I'm trying to visualize how it would look mounted to a brace on the swing arm, rather than to the subframe. I could keep the hugger look, but never worry about it bottoming out.

I'd give it more room that it has here, but like i said, it's just resting on the tire right now.

Attachments

• hugger.JPG
    hugger.JPG
    230.3 KB · Views: 292
after a bit more searching, it seems like people have done this rear hugger thing successfully, so i'm going to green light that project.

lookin good. i've been too dam obsessed with design to make any progress...

if you don't mind me asking, what size tires are on there right now?

Back
Top Bottom