My 77 Ducati 500 GTL CafeRacer Project

1sttimer said:
Beautiful build here. I'm located in Cornelius, NC. Thanks for the tip on the powder coater in Statesville. I was thinking of using Diversified Powder in Statesville. If you don't mind my asking, how much did your guy charge you for your frame and swingarm?

1sttimer my graphic shop Lucky 13 graphics is in Mooresville 2135 Charlotte Hwy If your ever in the area stop by and see the bike in person I have a few of the other bikes I built at my shop too. I'm only at the shop M-F 9 to 5.

I didn't go back to a powder coater I decided to go paint Peter weber in Statesville will do a great job if you want paint. I paid $500 for the frame, swing arm, rear fender and seat to be painted. I have heard good things about Diversified but I called for a quote they wanted $400 just for stripping the frame and swing arm and coating. I thought they were a bit pricey. I have built over a dozen bikes and have used powder coating on some but to be honest for looks paint is always the best. IMO Also I never seem to have luck with powder coaters I always have to bring something back to be redone.

As for the red tail I have to agree with you all. I hate to do it but I changing it to black. If you look in some earlier post I had a concept to bring more red into the tank originally. I decided in the 11th hour to gold leaf it. It changed the whole look. So black it is I need to see what my painter is going to charge me for this :-\ I may Just wrap it in Black. Since I do own a graphic shop. I will update with more pictures when I get the tail done.

Do you have any idea if and what the difference would be between my Desmo motor and any other GTL motor? They seem to be exactly the same with a timing Chain in the middle...any clue?

The answer is in the question. "Desmo" refers to desmodromic valve actuation. Cams close the valves instead of springs.. No Desmo means it has valve springs to close the valves.

two-smoker said:
The answer is in the question. "Desmo" refers to desmodromic valve actuation. Cams close the valves instead of springs.. No Desmo means it has valve springs to close the valves.

Spot on! :)

Great looking bike. I don't know if I missed it, but did you end up making the rear sets, or score those somewhere?

SeekingZero said:
Spot on! :)

Great looking bike. I don't know if I missed it, but did you end up making the rear sets, or score those somewhere?
The bike started out with rear sets from Joker machine which were very nice but they ended not clearing my exhaust. So I made my own.

lucky13cycle said:
The bike started out with rear sets from Joker machine which were very nice but they ended no clearing my exhaust. So I made my own.

They look excellent, nice job!

OK I got the seat black decided to do a vinyl wrap. The rear fender is also redone black. Check out the pictures let me know what you think. I just need to do a few more things like chop the front fender install chain ,gas cap etc..
2013-10-15160808_zps0ba46372.jpg

2013-10-15160829_zpsbb112bd5.jpg

2013-10-15160911_zps23042f7c.jpg

Looking very good.. :) I need some heavier springs for my clutch Barnett? My clutch started slipping in third gear the other day after changing the advance curve on the spark box, running more initial and less full by a few degrees, I also changed the pumper volume on the 30PHF ....

500cc said:
Looking very good.. :) I need some heavier springs for my clutch Barnett? My clutch started slipping in third gear the other day after changing the advance curve on the spark box, running more initial and less full by a few degrees, I also changed the pumper volume on the 30PHF ....

Sooo Wait....you have one too?

lucky13cycle said:
OK I got the seat black decided to do a vinyl wrap. The rear fender is also redone black. Check out the pictures let me know what you think. I just need to do a few more things like chop the front fender install chain ,gas cap etc..
2013-10-15160808_zps0ba46372.jpg

2013-10-15160829_zpsbb112bd5.jpg

2013-10-15160911_zps23042f7c.jpg
Finally finished the 500 GTL entered it in the easyrider show in Charlotte tomorrow. if you are at the show come by and say hello. Last year there were a couple of caferacers at the sho and I know for sure there will be at least 5 vintage bikes at the show this year from my friends alone. I will also have a 77 CB750F in the show that
I also just finished. Hope to see some of you

The color balance on this bike looks great now. You could even throw some red pops elsewhere if you like to beef up that red a bit, but it really came together nicely.

[thumbup]

Here are some pictures of the bike completely finished.

Attachments

• 2014-01-25 13.46.04.jpg
    2014-01-25 13.46.04.jpg
    3.1 MB · Views: 234
  • 2014-01-25 13.43.43.jpg
    2014-01-25 13.43.43.jpg
    2.9 MB · Views: 205
DreadRock said:
So how did it do ?
The bike got a great crowd response. The bike always get a lot of lookers. No trophies which is ok by me. I'm just proud of all the work that went into the bike and the final outcome.

lucky13cycle said:
The bike got a great crowd response. The bike always get a lot of lookers. No trophies which is ok by me. I'm just proud of all the work that went into the bike and the final outcome.

It was nice to meet you, man. Killer bike.

Greyson

Back
Top Bottom