New DTT member 360T build

kagraves

Been Around the Block
Hey everyone, I am new to the motorcycle forum and wanted to let people see my build and to get some advice.

I just finished rebuilding my stepfathers 1977 CB750K and sold it to buy my first bike. Before the 750 I had no knowledge of motorcycle mechanics but did a complete engine teardown to solve a seized piston problem. got the bike running not perfect but sold it as a project for a very fair price, probably should have been asking more but I got hasty. purchased my bike a 1976 Honda CB360T the morning that the 750 was being picked up.

20r8ke9.jpg

2jer3sy.jpg

I purchased the bike not running (only thing I can afford and then I could tinker with it). the bike is in great shape has 9,xxx miles and very little rust (only under fenders and a little pitting on wheels). the 750 had 45,xxx miles and quite a bit of rust. the bike has been sitting since 07' in the sellers garage under a cover.

I tried some gas and a new battery but it wouldn't start, :eek: SHOCKER!

took the carbs apart and found one carb completely dry and the other had a damaged float valve. the fuel line was gummed up in the dry carb and ordering new float valves.

tank is a little dusty inside (light rust dust??) comes off when i wiped it. I plan on cleaning out with baking soda and vinegar heard that worked well for others. and take the petcock apart to clean out. and get clear fuel lines and inline filters to keep deposits out of carbs.

Still need to figure out why it won't run, but one thing at a time

You're in the right place for support. Welcome aboard.

Where's PJ? Usually he sniffs out carb issues on a 360, before the owner even asks.

Just got the float valves in the mail today and installed them.

bought 3 gallons of Vinegar to fill the tank to remove the rust. (worked ok, not great)

hooked up the carbs and tank (after flushing out) filled with some gas and connected a battery. 10 kicks and it fires! lots of black smoke and it dies :'( . set choke to half open kick twice and it idles at 2k. I dont have the airboxes on it yet so ik it will run lean with choke off.

ran it through all the gears to make sure it'll shift all 6+N work

need to go through more before I let it run more.

tried to adjust the cam chain tensioner to have it readjust backed off the locknut and it didn't move at all i loosened and then tightened the adjustment screw and still no noticeable movement. kept it loose and turned the engine over a couple times no change so i put the adjuster screw semi tight and locked it down not sure what to do/did wrong. I had the tensioner on my CB750 come loose and the engine ate the chain :-[ don't want that to happen to this one.

There won't be much (or possibly any) noticeable movement when adjusting the tensioner. All that bolt and locknut combo do is release the tension on a bolt holding a spring. The spring expands as much as it can and then you tighten it back up.

ok so i bought new fuel lines and filters to put on the bike because the tank isn't in perfect shape, but when i took the fuel lines off and drained the carbs this is what i got

2dsn51d.jpg

2lurs6q.jpg

5cit10.jpg

its redish and settles below the gas, its almost the consistency of jelly in the carb but more of a liquid in the rest of the gas.

CAN ANYONE HELP ME FIGURE OUT WHATS WRONG!!

its obviously clogging my carbs up and its not normal

Your gas tank is still dirty. Did you do something to avoid rusting after the vinegar rinse?

Welcome to the blue cb360 club...Oh and DTT. She a fine lookin machine.
Do you have THE Official Honda Workshop Manual for it yet?

after cleaning the tank with vinegar i rinsed it out with gas and carb cleaner a few times. then filled it back up with gas. not sure what i should do about possible rust i'll try and get a pic from the interior of the tank.

the thing is the reddish stuff didn't come out of the tank when i drained it just the carbs and old fuel lines.

trek97 said:
Welcome to the blue cb360 club...Oh and DTT. She a fine lookin machine.
Do you have THE Official Honda Workshop Manual for it yet?

I have the Clymer service and repair manual of that is what you are talking about

looking in the gas cap
dyalnt.jpg

looking down the tank from the handle bars
25qqayt.jpg

i think the pictures make it look worse than it really is

That tank is rusty as hell. Soak again in vinegar, with some screws or something to shake around every so often, leave it for a day, strain the vinegar, do it again, etc. Rinse with water and baking soda, coat with oil, fill with gas. New lines and inline filters.

Keeping fuel in it.

You can also use a sealant such as Redkote or Por-15, but stay away from Kreem.

im redoing the rust removal with vinegar, i poured a gallon into the tank and a few handfuls of aquarium gravel to scrape out the sediment and rust. i heard that nuts and bolts can cause more damage to the tank putting scratches throughout, found that aquarium gravel is more gentle. i plan on letting it soak for 24 hours with vigorous shaking every so often to break more rust off.
thinking of redoing that process 2 or 3 times with fresh vinegar each time and see how it turns out. Im thinking about doing a tank sealer either REDKOTE or POR-15 has anyone used either before and are there tips or benefits for them.

ill take pictures of what comes out of the tank and the inside after each change

Rich Ard said:
That tank is rusty as hell. Soak again in vinegar, with some screws or something to shake around every so often, leave it for a day, strain the vinegar, do it again, etc. Rinse with water and baking soda, coat with oil, fill with gas. New lines and inline filters.

why the baking soda in the rinse? and what oil do you mean?

Back
Top Bottom