71 Honda CB350: Enthusiast turned builder!

I like the paint colors that you chose.

I've made a similar valve spring compressor, but I used a piece of steel pipe instead of wood. :)

I dont understand why you tore apart a low mileage good motor?? Probably wasted alot of time and money on an unnecessary rebuild....money and time that could have been used elsewhere. You could have done everything you wanted without tearing it down. I didnt see anything internally that really looked bad. Cam chain roller had a little wear.....but that is normal. Just because its old.....doesnt mean its wore out. At least thats what I tell the wife!! HA

And sorry....but I have to agree....that was way to nice of a bike to use for a project. Tons of beat up CB350s Honda's out there....fewer and fewer nice originals. Your bike and your allowed to do with it as you please....just my opinion.

Thanks ADC, I hope the polished covers will go with the paint scheme.

And yes I've heard it before, OCR, I just wanted a build to get my feet wet, without my head under water, and not have my hands too full of rust ... if you get the analogy. Basically, I like things to be pristine, probably spent less than $150 on parts for the engine. I try not to think about the money, haha. thanks tho.

ohiocaferacer said:
I dont understand why you tore apart a low mileage good motor??

And sorry....but I have to agree....that was way to nice of a bike to use for a project

Yeah, I read him that riot act at the very beginning, but he was undeterred. One more survivor bites the dust, but maybe it will emerge as a really nice custom. Same build could have been done with a bike in much rougher condition. I would have cleaned and polished that bike and ridden it as all original, while I sought out a more suitable project bike that actually needed all that work.

AlphaDogChoppers said:
Yeah, I read him that riot act at the very beginning, but he was undeterred. One more survivor bites the dust, but maybe it will emerge as a really nice custom. Same build could have been done with a bike in much rougher condition. I would have cleaned and polished that bike and ridden it as all original, while I sought out a more suitable project bike that actually needed all that work.
I couldnt agree more.....wish him luck.

Good afternoon, Korbin.

I have to say that I agree with those who think that your bike was a gorgeous example of a vintage CB and therefore not really a great bike to modify significantly, but I do like that table... and I do like what you have done with the engine, looks great!

I will watch this thread til its done... cause I know if your finished project is not fabulous you are going to hear about it!

Welcome to DTT.

it wont take long for that rinkel paint to look horrible on that motor what were you thinking ?
its gonna run hotter as well like wrapping it in a blanket

xb33bsa said:
it wont take long for that rinkel paint to look horrible on that motor what were you thinking ?

Well aren't you a bundle of sunshine.

I'm sure the paint will hold up fine. I've used similar paint for years without any chips, flaking, discoloration etc.... Prep it well it will last.

I did the same thing as you (took a good stock CB360 and went and fukked it up) but I learned a lot and I like it better than I did when I got it, so I say fukem. its your bike - do what you want, and be willing to deal with the consequences (like working on a fixed table, or messing up your handling because you want bigger tires, or whatever everyone always gets their panties into a bunch over here - hell - I've never had a garage to work in, so I pop mine on the center stand and roll it face first into the curb. I work out the back of my SUV so that I can lock the tools and parts away when I head upstairs to take a crap. you work with what you've got . . . and so far you are doing a hell of a lot better job than I am, so cheers to that.)

Cheers - Good Luck - Tracking

xb33bsa said:

It's VHT engine paint. I"m sure I'll be fine.

Cursh said:
I did the same thing as you (took a good stock CB360 and went and fukked it up) but I learned a lot and I like it better than I did when I got it, so I say fukem. its your bike - do what you want, and be willing to deal with the consequences (like working on a fixed table, or messing up your handling because you want bigger tires, or whatever everyone always gets their panties into a bunch over here - hell - I've never had a garage to work in, so I pop mine on the center stand and roll it face first into the curb. I work out the back of my SUV so that I can lock the tools and parts away when I head upstairs to take a crap. you work with what you've got . . . and so far you are doing a hell of a lot better job than I am, so cheers to that.)

Cheers - Good Luck - Tracking

Cheers mate!

Korbin091 said:
I finally got the table finished! Slow process, with this weather. I will be disassembling the bike this weekend. Look for updates soon.

This looks great, all so its your bike, do what you want and be proud

Engine is all assembled, just need to do ignition timing yet.
Here's some pics of the polished parts, and the bike mocked up getting ready for frame work.

The frame is about 95% done, just waiting for the kickstand and exhaust.
Don't mind my horrible welding....practice makes perfect.

Next step is tank and Seat fabrication!

Looking good, I wouldn't worry about the paint on the motor, it will last... unless brake fluid gets on it (I know from experience). That paint is tough as nails other wise, I did a valve cover on my old bmw and my prep was eh and I'm not too easy on it plus its had oil and grim on it and it has lasted a year without discoloring even where oil got on it.

Back
Top Bottom