'78 GS750 Suzuki brat/cafe "Fawkes"

Wow man, awesome score on the 1000! And nice build going too. I have a quick question, I also have a gs750 with what looks like the same carbs you have. By any chance, have you run across any place that sells the carb sync screws? The ones under the mixture chamber lid on top of the slides. I have looked everywhere.

Re: '78 GS750 Suzuki brat/cafe "Fawkes"

If I remember right there is something to do with the tunnel width and mount points that make it a small pita to fit. Never tried it myself but I wanted an 1100 tank for mine. Nice score mate. If you don't want that cooler let me know as I would like one for my bike. ;)

Well, I know here in Canada they did come with spoke wheels in the early years. They also had smaller carbs here in Canada apparently due to emissions issues.

If you google gs1000 in any year before 1980 you will see quite a lot of spoke wheels on these bikes. I was hoping it had alloys but such is life!

My main issue is that it doesn't have a key! I can change out the tumbler from my gs750 but that doesn't help me get into the gas tank. Any ideas? Can I order a specific key for this bike by the serial number? Any other way to get around this? I am attempting to get my hands on the key from the PO but what if that fails to work out?

Also... some pics from my attempts yesterday to "take stock".

I removed the fairing and luggage stuff and the associated brackets.

Attempted to put a battery in it but didn't bother as I couldn't get my 750 key to work.

Great news is that those forks (which are the air/oil type from a stock gs1000) are pristine. No pitting at all... I guess I can thank the hideous fairing for that.

Attachments

• 20140614_175751.jpg
    20140614_175751.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 251
  • 20140614_175808.jpg
    20140614_175808.jpg
    479.9 KB · Views: 246
  • 20140614_175820.jpg
    20140614_175820.jpg
    530.6 KB · Views: 229
  • 20140614_183807.jpg
    20140614_183807.jpg
    762.2 KB · Views: 227
Sorry about that upside down pic.

There are some issues with the bike as to be expected. I still don't know if it will turn over. I have no idea whether the bottom end is up to speed. I have no idea if it actually does have 109,100 kms on it (surely it must!)

As a result of the fairing and luggage, the wiring is a bit strange I think.

The muffler is obviously garbage, the rear brake is seized, and the rear tire is junk. I think the rims are in pretty good shape which is good.

The stainless lines are pristine which is a big plus.

Attachments

• 20140614_184547.jpg
    20140614_184547.jpg
    314.6 KB · Views: 222
  • 20140614_184142.jpg
    20140614_184142.jpg
    829.1 KB · Views: 242
  • 20140614_184120.jpg
    20140614_184120.jpg
    432.8 KB · Views: 231
  • 20140614_183916.jpg
    20140614_183916.jpg
    401.2 KB · Views: 234
I randomly pulled this off a Google image search. Lots of them there. 78 gs 1000 dohc. Single disc (unfortunately) and spoke rims.

Attachments

• untitled (4).png
    untitled (4).png
    422.3 KB · Views: 465
Sorry a lot of these pics are bland and boring. I just want to have a good sense of what I am working with and be able to ask appropriate advice and questions from you knowledgeable folk!

Attachments

• 20140614_184205.jpg
    20140614_184205.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 226
  • 20140614_184234.jpg
    20140614_184234.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 220
  • 20140614_184508.jpg
    20140614_184508.jpg
    340.2 KB · Views: 216
From here, I will leave it be until I can get the key issue dealt with. Then I will get it running and go from there.

I understand it is not difficult to swap the engine to the 750 frame so that is likely the direction I will go as I don't have ownership of the bike. The farmer who gave it to my father was storing it for a friend. He got tired of storing it and called the guy to either pick it up or he was going to put it outside. It went outside (about 1 1/2 ago). Recently called him and the guy said to scrap it he had another bike and didn't care what happened to this one. So, he gave it to dad... dad gave it to me, but no ownership yet. I am going to approach the owner and see if will part with key and ownership. At least the key.

Macbethpoe said:
Wow man, awesome score on the 1000! And nice build going too. I have a quick question, I also have a gs750 with what looks like the same carbs you have. By any chance, have you run across any place that sells the carb sync screws? The ones under the mixture chamber lid on top of the slides. I have looked everywhere.

I haven't actually, I will keep my eyes open though.

Brodie said:
If I remember right there is something to do with the tunnel width and mount points that make it a small pita to fit. Never tried it myself but I wanted an 1100 tank for mine. Nice score mate. If you don't want that cooler let me know as I would like one for my bike. ;)

Hey Brodie.

I kind of like the look of the oil cooler so I am going to really clean it up and see from there. I will defo let you have it if I don't keep it.

xb33bsa said:
109000 i dont think so maybe so but get it running see how she goes
change it into a vintage superbike replica
please don't put a retarded ,ugly, childish,stoopid skate-culture,hideous brat seat on it
why would you want to swap frames ?

If I can get my hands on the ownership, I may attempt a Cooley style bike. I actually love the fairing from the Cooley replicas. Nice look. But I doubt I will be able to get the ownership. Time will tell.

Given the state of the pipes, the addition of an oil cooler etc. doesn't it seem more likely than not that the speedo has rolled over??

Quick question.... I now have two front discs and two calipers (but only ONE lower with caliper mounts)... I assume that the calipers are not right and left but that any caliper can fit on either side, can anyone confirm this?

I suppose it could have stock spoke wheels - I just can't recall seeing one like that. For the key issue - look on eBay for a seller that makes keys. I "believe" if you send him the tumbler numbers, he can cut some keys that will work. If you decide to sell your rear wheel, the spoked hub is pretty sought after. And the calipers are left / right specific: they may bolt up either way (I can't remember how the mounts look) , but the bleeder is only on top for each side.

If I remember right my single disk was on the right hand side. You are more than welcome to have the caliper and rotor if you want them.

Thanks for the info guys. I will see about the key this week otherwise I will have to do something. I debated drilling out the key on the tank and ordering a new gas cap for it from Ebay but would rather avoid that if possible. I will try to find the guy on Ebay Big Rich thanks again.

Brodie, thanks for the offer. I am not sure if I will go with dual disks yet. If I do maybe I can trade you an oil cooler for a caliper and rotor! (what I really need is a right side lower with caliper mounting holes).

Happy Father's Day all!

Heck, I didn't even think of it. Roller, I have a set of forks from a GS650 with dual discs hanging up in my garage. You're in Canada though, aren't you? Shipping would probably be a killer. I have some rotors (straightness is not guaranteed ....haha) and even some calipers too.

You guys are amazing.

Big Rich, if I need the forks I will gladly pay for them and the shipping if and when the time comes. As I am not building this bike to go ripping around at 120 mph (though I will defo test it out!) I am not sure if I really need to go the route of dual discs at the front, although I am fully convinced it would be a good upgrade. I think it is very likely that I will swap to USD forks in the next few years regardless. Whatever this monstrosity ends up looking like, it will be a keeper for me.

Also, as I have two sort of interchangeable bikes now, if anyone reading this needs parts, I am happy to oblige where I can.

Damn I only just got rid of my old lower. You can have the caliper and rotor for postage. Although I dare say it will be cheaper from Rich. I would stick the cooler on which ever bike you plan to ride.

Hey... I am working on the carbs atm. Anyone know the correct default settings for the 26 mm Mikuni carbs? (ie. jets etc.)

Thanks!

Dug out my 76-80 Factory Service Manual and found this burried in the "L" section. Strange it's not in the Service Specs... ahh well, here you go.

Attachments

• VM26 specs.jpg
    VM26 specs.jpg
    95.4 KB · Views: 256
Back
Top Bottom