'78 GS750 Suzuki brat/cafe "Fawkes"

I'm working on a 78' GS1000 as well. Nice bikes as they only made 1 year with the spokes. I've still working on a total rebuild. Just waiting to get my engine top end back from the shop. Can't wait to drop the engine back in. Here's a shot of when I got her:

She'll stay pretty much original as they did this one right. Where she sits now:

I do love them Skunks! had to pass one up a couple summers ago that was for sale out in front of a house down the road from me... Just didn't have the meager funds at the time. :-\

Attachments

• 0618111056.jpg
    0618111056.jpg
    277.9 KB · Views: 876
Hoosier Daddy said:
Dug out my 76-80 Factory Service Manual and found this burried in the "L" section. Strange it's not in the Service Specs... ahh well, here you go.

Thank you! I really appreciate the info!

crackerman said:
I'm working on a 78' GS1000 as well. Nice bikes as they only made 1 year with the spokes. I've still working on a total rebuild. Just waiting to get my engine top end back from the shop. Can't wait to drop the engine back in. Here's a shot of when I got her:

She'll stay pretty much original as they did this one right. Where she sits now:

I would be quite interested in painting mine this colour scheme.. really nice. And thank you for the info as I didn't know they only made them one year with spokes... I see you also have the single disc on the front.

Can you tell me what rims came stock on your GS? And what width?

They call this color scheme the Skunk. Here's what I'm going for:

They made a version that has dual disc up front, so it's a pretty easy conversion if I want to add it later.

The rims are stock 19 and 18s in the rear, same rims from the first pic. I disassemble the front and rear rims and have about four hours each in just polishing all the spokes and rims. I added new sealed bearings as well. It was a real pain in the ass but it's the only way to really get the spokes, rims, and hubs polished.

I think the 77-78 GS750 have the same spoke rims. The GS1000 base model in 78 came with spokes. I actually found 2 on craigslist today.

77 GS750
http://nh.craigslist.org/mcy/4514098823.html
78 GS1000
http://nh.craigslist.org/mcy/4535155313.html

Hey Crackerman. Thank you for the info. I guess that means I have two set of the '78 rims. I was hoping the GS1000 rims would be slightly wider than the 750 spokes but nevertheless I love the spoke rims are lovely. I think your rims look amazing. Hours of polishing sure works. The spokes on my 750 were quite bad, esp. the rear wheel so am ordering new spokes all around from Buchanan's though would rather spend that cash on something else! The 1000 has decent spokes that I think can be polished. The rims however on the 750 are near mint. Not quite as nice on the 1000. I have debated selling one set but I think I won't. Never know when I may want to make another bike out of the parts left over from when I get the 750 up and running.

I know I will keep the 1000 frame unadulterated. It is a sturdy frame and worth keeping. If I stick the 1000 engine into the 750 frame I will spend some time beefing up the 750 frame a little bit.

That said, I have been so busy with work I haven't even had time to get the 1000 running yet. It could be seized or have a brick for a bottom end for all I know.

This weekend I will attempt to get some answers on where I am at with the engine.

Last night I was reading stories about how borderline dangerous the brakes were on these GSs in super wet conditions. Another article I read stated that just by cross-drilling the rotors, changing over to stainless lines, and swapping to top notch brake pads you could completely change the braking characteristics of the bike in adverse conditions. I think what they meant was you could get the bike to reach optimal levels given the equipment available... does that makes sense?

Ya know, I was just reading a thread pertaining to that the other night on the GSR. One member said his brakes worked well enough on his 77 GS even when they were stock (solid rotors, rubber lines, etc). Another member basically said a little bit of water on the brakes and they were completely worthless.

Personally, switching to slotted rotors was a given since they are available for cheap. Same goes for brake lines and pads: they need replaced eventually anyway, so why not spend a few $$ more and upgrade to the good stuff?

Good advice. I will defo upgrade when the time comes... I am still stuck trying to get or fab a frame loop. I tried to get one via Sonic but he is a busy man at the moment. So I need to look elsewhere.

I am certainly learning patience!

Re: '78 GS750 Suzuki brat/cafe "Fawkes"

Yep good idea. Last thing to skimp on is the stopping system. I don't mind if my bike runs rough as long as it stops well. Hence the twin pot upgrade.

So putting my carbs back together finally....

Anyone have any advice on which of these is better? I will be running a 4-1 exhaust eventually, and non-stock air flow... likely some type of pods. The thicker needle jets on the left were in the carbs already.....

Thanks in advance!

Attachments

• 20140727_150413.jpg
    20140727_150413.jpg
    211.5 KB · Views: 254
Well, after much ado I finally managed to rebuild these Mikuni carbs. Good thing too... as the GS1000 looks to have the same rack on it as these off the 750.

I know a lot of you have done carb rebuilds many times... but this was my first time to totally rebuild a rack of carbs. I still have to polish the caps, and sync the carbs.. and I fully expect I will have to do a fair bit of tuning but it feels good to see those carbs go from absolutely filthy and gummed up to shiny and clean. Just confirms how enriching this "hobby" really is.

Course... haven't tried them yet!

Couple of pictures...

Attachments

• 20140727_222345.jpg
    20140727_222345.jpg
    922.7 KB · Views: 256
  • 20140727_221840.jpg
    20140727_221840.jpg
    1,001.6 KB · Views: 270
  • 20140727_160923.jpg
    20140727_160923.jpg
    745.6 KB · Views: 245
I sure wish progress were moving faster than is the case, but I have only so much money to spend on this project... so I have to keep at slow and steady. My wife keeps me on a really tight budget... she wants a house.

Good news.. I have new rear suspension ordered, the rear loop is in the mail, and I will be ordering progressive springs and GS1000 forks this evening so things are happening... just slowly!

Thanks for looking.

Re: '78 GS750 Suzuki brat/cafe "Fawkes"

I know your pain Holy. Slow and stead wins the race.

Ya, good news....

Rear loop will be here this week... and I ordered rim tape, new tubes, new K70 tires, progressive springs for front suspension, progressive springs for the rear, all new wheel bearings, new fork seals, and new steering bearings....

It should feel like Christmas here next week...

Finally I will see some progress...

Well things have been going slow. My job is very busy and that leaves me little time to dedicate to the bike.

Few weeks ago managed to get a little work area set up in the workshop at the family farm! Its about twenty minutes from where I live and is available anytime I want to head out there.

I am sort of stuck in limbo at the moment. I am trying to track down the ownership to the GS1000. If I can get it, I will build that bike first as it is a complete bike... and leave the 750 as a longer term project. If I can't get the ownership from the guy (he is open to it, but we are both busy) then I will scavenge parts from the 1000 to be used on the 750.... like the front forks for example. Bit frustrating.. and I have to be patient.

In the meantime, I have received a bunch of new parts and am biding my time.

Here are a couple of pics of the work area. The table is extremely well made and heavy... I was given to me to use (and never be returned as the guy is pretty elderly) and needs a new air bladder jack which I am tracking down at the moment. Very nice table. Rest of the stuff I just scavenged from among dad's various piles of equipment... and junk.

Attachments

• 20140804_162727.jpg
    20140804_162727.jpg
    1,015.6 KB · Views: 250
  • 20140804_142021.jpg
    20140804_142021.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 252
  • 20140804_162651.jpg
    20140804_162651.jpg
    908.6 KB · Views: 238
The goal from the get-go was to have a rolling chasis by the end of the summer... so by the end of September at the latest. That is still the goal. I just need to pull the trigger and buy some spokes from Buchanan.

Picture of the newly rec'd rear loop, tires (Dunlop K70s), tubes, rim tape...

I am heading out to the house shortly to do some work. This week, delivery came with new Progressive fork spring, Progressive rear shock springs, front and rear bearings, fork seals (for the beefier 1000 forks), tire irons, and I think steering stem bearings as well. I can't remember...

Attachments

• 20140809_140331.jpg
    20140809_140331.jpg
    779.7 KB · Views: 242
Back
Top Bottom