'Hamasaki' formerly known as the '82 KZ305 cafe racer - first build

Re: '82 KZ305 cafe racer - first build

It's not that hard. I decided not to shell out for a bench grinder and polishing kit so I just used a shit load of sand paper and elbow grease. It's not mirror finish more 'used satin'

While I was supposed to be at work this morning this happened! Lucky I'm the boss.
u2ajema8.jpg
asepe8am.jpg
re2ejy7e.jpg

Yes they are custom things. Not sure what I call them but the idea is to settle the air before it gets to the carbs but you know that right? I shaped the intake end like a velocity stack - nice and smooth. I literally carved that shape with a carpenters chisel. Sharp steel chisel vs aluminum, steel wins every time. I cut the other end on an angle to keep them down from the battery tray. As can be seen in the photos the tubes fit well, no obstruction of the openings for the vacuum slides.
e6e5y4e9.jpg
a4u5agus.jpg
u6eqetav.jpg
e5aza4yz.jpg
u7uraha4.jpg

Working on the electrics this week. A bit of a jigsaw puzzle to put it all together but I think I've sorted the tricky stuff. I hope I can get the wiring loom to work as it is and don't have to shorten it or anything too drastic to get it to work.
udejeme3.jpg

The battery is nice and snug, rectifier is bolted to the underside of the battery tray which I riveted to the frame. I have a bracket made up for the starter solenoid so that will get fixed in place. Every thing else is just tucked in there. Will that be ok?
erugytan.jpg

Just make sure connections are tight and wont be pinched or pulled apart.

My battery tray turned out better than I expected. Everything fits in with not much room to spare.
qy8ygehu.jpg

Found a spot for my ignition switch. I nearly ditched it for a toggle but I'd already paid 80 bucks to have it repaired so decided to go with it. It has a really solid feel to it when the key is turned and the key can be removed in any position so it won't be in there when I'm riding. I used the orange side reflectors to mount the ignition. I decided a while ago I liked them, they are so cute and now functional too. I do need to alter the wiring harness to connect the ignition - more fun with the heat shrink stuff!
va4a4e3u.jpg
a6y9uja6.jpg

Electrics are all done. New flasher unit works perfectly. Got the old exhausts mounted but I'll need to modify my number plate bracket to get everything sorted back there.
unava5ap.jpg
uzydu6a5.jpg
ty8yba8a.jpg

The number plate bracket turned out to be a lot of hard work and probably the most difficult thing I've fabricated in my garage on the bike.
Over the weekend I shortened the throttle and clutch cables. The hardest part was drilling out the end thingies. I managed to drill through the throttle one and get it soldered up ok but the clutch one I ended up making a 'mould' and casting it in solder! So much effort for something so small!

Tonight I put the engine oil in and my mate Bill came over to help bleed the brake. Then we rolled her off the tables for the first time! Wow now she looks tiny!

I'm here, just lurking. What exactly did you do to solder up the brake cable? Just drill the stock end out slightly larger than the cable, slide it on, and flood it with solder? Doing the same with my 125 and ran in to a road block when the cable was too big to fit in the adjustable cable ends I got from the bike shop and used on my clutch.

I'm enjoying watching the build. Sorry if I'm a little quiet.

I've got two KZ200 builds about to start, so I'm keenly watching.

Damian.

CALfeRacer said:
I'm here, just lurking. What exactly did you do to solder up the brake cable? Just drill the stock end out slightly larger than the cable, slide it on, and flood it with solder? Doing the same with my 125 and ran in to a road block when the cable was too big to fit in the adjustable cable ends I got from the bike shop and used on my clutch.

Yes but they were really tough to drill out. My mechanic said they had brass ones which would be easy to drill, they might already have holes. So you do a hole big enough to pass the cable through then a bigger hole 2 or 3mm deep for the solder. You also need to splay out the end of the cable. This is the video I used as my guide.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=axGTa0SvXjE

It just feels like if no body responds what's the point in posting. It's also nice to think people are interested and it's a good ego boost when people compliment or even comment on your work also good motivation to don the greasy puffer & fluffy hat for another night in a cold garage!

Here's the Hamasaki as she sits today on the floor of my garage.
a2e3a9am.jpg

Check out the cheeky photo bomb from Blu Smoke in the background!
eny6azum.jpg

Back
Top Bottom