Tracker/Cafe Racer - FJ600

dano_02

Hey everyone,

First post on the forum since I've been busy working on my bike!

As the title says, the bike is a Yamaha FJ600 from 1984. I bought it 8 months ago with every intention of turning it into a cafe racer of some sort.

Here are a few pics of the build so far, starting off with what it used to look like. Looking forward to hearing your comments/suggestions. If you want more detailed photos, you can find them here: http://danojung.blogspot.ca

Attachments

• IMG_0025.JPG
    IMG_0025.JPG
    1.7 MB · Views: 476
  • IMG_0228.JPG
    IMG_0228.JPG
    625.6 KB · Views: 2,010
  • IMG_0226.JPG
    IMG_0226.JPG
    2.4 MB · Views: 470
  • IMG_0223.JPG
    IMG_0223.JPG
    2.1 MB · Views: 529
  • IMG_0177.jpg
    IMG_0177.jpg
    2.1 MB · Views: 500
  • IMG_0175.jpg
    IMG_0175.jpg
    2.2 MB · Views: 455
  • IMG_0152.JPG
    IMG_0152.JPG
    758.2 KB · Views: 470
  • IMG_0037.JPG
    IMG_0037.JPG
    2 MB · Views: 462
  • IMG_0027.JPG
    IMG_0027.JPG
    1.7 MB · Views: 480
Like a fork in the road I've never taken, I like where this is going. The bones on that 84 are more classic than I expected.

I love the shock under the seat/bell crank setup! Why haven't more people tried this? Brilliant.

Joe Suzuki said:
I love the shock under the seat/bell crank setup! Why haven't more people tried this? Brilliant.
That is a nice set up, if you can would like to see how its done.
Looking good.
Ok...looked at the blog...nice job

A bit of an update - I'm working on wiring right now so there's not much to see. I did manage to fire it up for the first time with the new exhaust system so have a listen!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6g4J-eQl6v8

The piece I was trying to fit on the exhaust pipe is a custom muffler I made out of stainless tubing and perforated sheet. - didn't have much effect in the video since it wasn't installed properly but it will kill some of dB's and provide a bit more back pressure once properly fitted. I'll post some pics when it's done.

Interesting build, keen to see how it turns out, much more potential there than first glances at the FJ give.
Nice exhaust tone!

I gotta be honest - the actuation angle to your bell crank and the leverage ratio to the shock makes me uneasy. The amount of vertical force you're going to put into the tube that has your bellcrank pivot will be huge. I'd be worried about it failing. One weld fails and your ass is on the tire.

Can you make a more L shape bellcrank to transfer more load rotationally?

I do like the idea, and had a couple of laser cut plate bellcranks made myself for a future project, and I've also spent quite a bit of time analysing suspension loads for my own GSXR rear end onto XS400.

Cheers,

Earlysport

Earlysport,

Thanks for the comments - you've got an eye for detail!

I'm not happy with the actuation angle either. Ideally, the angle is equal to 1/2 of the total "normal" actuation angle. That way, the pushrod spends most of it's time 90 degrees to the moment arm.

I have plans to make new plates but not right now. (So many things still need to be finished!)

You say you're working on a pushrod setup for you bike? I would love to see your worksheet! More specifically, how much force/travel did you assume as worst case loading on the shock? What are your free sag, and static sag values?

Dan

Thanks!
It's an aluminum cap matched with a weld in bung. Got them both from here:

http://www.lowbrowcustoms.com/p3078/buy/m-c-parts/oil-tanks-amp-accessories/harley-davidson/accessories/lowbrow-customs-aluminum-filller-cap-vented/

Great looking start to your build! I am also building an '84 FJ600. I see you got it all wired up and started it up. Did you rewire it from scratch? If so you mind sharing a diagram of how you wired it up? I am a bit stuck on my electrical. Thanks!

Great looking build man, I love those turn signals! Any info on where I could snag some or are they custom made?

Hey PatmanBBE,

Thanks for the kind words!
I did rewire everything from scratch. Here's a pdf of an electrical schematic that I found helpful. Use at your discretion though since some wires in the schematic didn't represent what was on my bike, but it gave me enough of an idea. Let me know if you run into any issues!

Dan

PatmanBBE said:
Great looking start to your build! I am also building an '84 FJ600. I see you got it all wired up and started it up. Did you rewire it from scratch? If so you mind sharing a diagram of how you wired it up? I am a bit stuck on my electrical. Thanks!

Attachments

• 53973f3368751.pdf
    1.3 MB · Views: 232
Thanks ahcolburn,

The turn signals are purchased from Dime City Cycles, found here:
http://www.dimecitycycles.com/black-led-handlebar-bar-ends.html

Good luck with your build!

ahcolburn said:
Great looking build man, I love those turn signals! Any info on where I could snag some or are they custom made?

Back
Top Bottom