Come See My Woody! (1979 CB400Ti) ***FINISHED*** (for now ;))

Re: Come See My Woody! (1979 CB400Ti)

Yeah I've seen some shocks get up to $899, $1k! I'm guessing the sub $100 have to leave a little something to be desired, are they still better than the 35yo OEM ones though?

I ride a knock off progressive like the one pictured and have no complaints. They are much better than the oem's that where on my bike. I should mention mine are shorter than stock length. That being said Hagen shocks outlast most from what I hear. Just an opinion but I don't think mod'ing these things (for a clevis to clevis fab) would be the best idea. Compromising the structure just seems like a bad idea as they are the "cheap" ones ;) if you really want a original looking shock that's clevis to clevis and you have the tools why not make one, buying the springs for these thing is pretty cheap.

work9to5 said:
I ride a knock off progressive like the one pictured and have no complaints. They are much better than the oem's that where on my bike. I should mention mine are shorter than stock length. That being said Hagen shocks outlast most from what I hear. Just an opinion but I don't think mod'ing these things (for a clevis to clevis fab) would be the best idea. Compromising the structure just seems like a bad idea as they are the "cheap" ones ;) if you really want a original looking shock that's clevis to clevis and you have the tools why not make one, buying the springs for these thing is pretty cheap.

Make one? I'm nervous to ride on the seat I made myself, haha, shocks I'd be terrified!haha

http://www.partsnmore.com/parts/honda/cb750/?filters%5Bcategory%5D=chassis&filters%5Bfitting%5D=universal

Just found these. Look forth down in the list of shocks clev to clev 13". Just a heads up I have never used that site to buy anything came up on a google search.

I know exactly how you feel. Ever rebuild an engine and end up with an "extra" screw? ;)

work9to5 said:
http://www.partsnmore.com/parts/honda/cb750/?filters%5Bcategory%5D=chassis&filters%5Bfitting%5D=universal

Just found these. Look forth down in the list of shocks clev to clev 13". Just a heads up I have never used that site to buy anything came up on a google search.

Yeah those are the only ones I can find on the entire internet (I've explored it all!) They'd be a good option for replacements for sure, but won't give me a little extra length I'm hoping for. Might just be all there is for plug n play

Could use some wiring help! Trying to get that gauge in the picture to act as it should... Here's there wiring information...

7 Wiring:

The positive electrode of the Neutral: Green line.
The positive electrode of the Headlight: Blue line.
The positive electrode of the Left turning: Yellow line.
The positive electrode of the Right turning: Yellow line.
One of the Black line is the Negative electrode of three Indicators.

Backlight and pointers:

Positive electrode: Red line.
Negative electrode: Another Black line.

I read through an answer 66sprint gave someone in the past on their wiring, but I think mine is slightly different. First of all, it doesn't have an oil pressure light. Secondly, it only have two ground wires, one for the back light, and one for the three signal lights on the face of the gauge, whereas the stock little bulbs had grounds for each light.

So my questions...

Do I need to do something involving diodes for the two turn signal yellow wires? Please explain in detail if you could, I have no idea what I diode is or what it does!
Secondly, do I send one black wire to the ground for the backlight, and then tie together the other grounds from the neutral, and hi beam? Because the turn signal light has no ground right? Just the left and right wires?

So I made some progress today. My particular gauge had two yellow wires so there were no need for diodes. For anyone else who might find themselves in the same boat, here's how a Kege Universal 2.5" Mini Speedometer Odometer wires up to a 1979 CB400t (keywords so hopefully it'll show up on google for those kind of lost like I was!)

Blue Wire to Blue Wire (For headlight high beam)
One Yellow to the Orange Wire (Turn Signal)
Other Yellow Wire to Light Blue (Turn Signal)
Green Wire to a Black Wire (Neutral) [***Not to Green/Red Honda Neutral Wire as I would have assumed]
Red Wire to Brown/White Wire (Backlight)
One Black Wire to Green/Red Wire
Other Black Wire to Both Green Wires tied in

What you're left with is a black wire and a blue/red wire which are the oil pressure indicator lights for which this particular speedo has no light for.

Once I figured that out I was able to pretty much get the front end fitted up. The front wheel was removed, tire taken off, rims and spokes and nipples painted (first time nipple painter/rim jobber!) My mounting bolts for my gauge bracket already have rust after a rainstorm the other night, which I thought wouldn't happen, so I may have to change those out. I also added two more in the bottom just to fill the holes but I'm thinking it may be cool to rig up an iPhone holder in there so I can use it like a GPS or text while I'm riding... (KIDDING!)

Here's how it looks up front!

Attachments

• frontend.jpg
    frontend.jpg
    64.4 KB · Views: 575

Well, it's finished! (for now). The only thing I want to do is rig an iPhone mount to the bottom bolts of the the triple tree, but other than that, it's done until that old bitch winter forces me off the road. At that point I'm definitely going to add some rear sets, and may think about some other mods, but for now, I can finally ride it for what time I have left this season. Oh, and you'll see now why I called it Woody!

Attachments

• wide.jpg
    wide.jpg
    179.5 KB · Views: 214
  • wideclose.jpg
    wideclose.jpg
    136.1 KB · Views: 216
  • widefront.jpg
    widefront.jpg
    135 KB · Views: 221
  • frontclose.jpg
    frontclose.jpg
    78.8 KB · Views: 209
  • wideside.jpg
    wideside.jpg
    105.6 KB · Views: 202
  • back.jpg
    back.jpg
    66.4 KB · Views: 207
  • emblem.jpg
    emblem.jpg
    94.9 KB · Views: 210
Bad-ass --- awesome job dude. Two questions...

Did you do the paint yourself?
Is that yellow headlight legal where you are?

Awesome bike dude. Way cool.

But. always a but.

I am a lawyer in Ontario and that headlight will get you pulled over at some point. Run until then... but it is illegal.

Please don't let that take away from how amazing that bike looks! Good job.

HR

Damn... did some looking up and yes, it's illegal, only on highways though from what I can tell! So if I stick to city streets I should be okay!

As for the paint a family friend down the street paints muscle cars and stuff so I went and bought some automotive paint and had him spray 'em.

Nice work indeed fella. I don't think I've ever seen a woody scheme on a bike, and yours looks great. Reminds me a bit of a Boyd Coddington build.

cheers
ian

By the way.... where in Ontario? I am in the Belleville area.

(oops... I see you are in Windsor) Tornado country!

Back
Top Bottom