1977 GS750 Cafe Build (getting close)

Re: 1977 GS750 Cafe Build (polishing)

It does take a little while. But I start with the smoothest paper I can get away with, then work up to each grit. When using the wet/dry paper, sand in one direction then when you step up to the next grit, work in the opposite direction (400 grit = left to right, 600 = up and down, 800 = left to right, etc).

Easier said than done though.

Re: 1977 GS750 Cafe Build (polishing)

Thanks Guys, I kinda thought the sanding was where I was slacking, I guess I can't be lazy if I want Professional Results. I think I'll drink a beer, sand a little then repeat ;D

modifiedamerican said:
i wanna see the seat!
The picture I've posted of the seat pan is pretty much where it is, at a stand still right now. Fits the frame good just a lot of work left to do. I painted the rest of the bike to keep motivated. Also trying to come up with a good idea to incorporate a taillight into the seatpan without copy someone else's. If you you see something pass the link to me maybe I can take two or three idea's and come up with my own version.

Re: 1977 GS750 Cafe Build (done polishing engine)

Finally done polishing engine. Thanks guys for the info to help me get this done. Here are some before and after photos. Next weekend project is to paint and reinstall engine.

110_4336.jpg

IMG_3492.jpg

IMG_3494.jpg

110_4337.jpg

IMG_3493.jpg

Oooh more GS lovin'... I like it :D

Nice work on the paint and polish!

Thanks guys, that was a chore but I like the finish product.

Knee Dragin Tun Up Boy said:
F'in roll man! I got a 77 gs750 coming to me on sunday next week! looking good! Do werk!
Besure to post pictures of your newtou bike. not many of us GS guys on here.

Re: 1977 GS750 Cafe Build (engine, swingarm, lower triple installed)

Finally got engine and a few other items installed. Working on forks, Replacing fork seals, oil and polish lowers.
I'm putting it togeather in the man cave. lot of silver going on but I like It. I'll have to break it up with some black or blue paint. Give me some Idea's guy!!!
mail.jpg

mail2.jpg

I think it looks great so far! I wouldn't worry too much about breaking up the silver yet. Once you get the wheels, suspension, seat, electronics, etc, it will be broken up by then.

Big Rich said:
I think it looks great so far! I wouldn't worry too much about breaking up the silver yet. Once you get the wheels, suspension, seat, electronics, etc, it will be broken up by then.

I agree. I ran into the same issue with the blacks on my bike :p So I made the frame Silver! haha. This thing is looking great man! Can't wait to see more!

Re: 1977 GS750 Cafe Build (small update)

Got the lower forks polished (before and after pic). Although I've installed the wheels, they are not done, just needed the freedom of moving the bike from garage to man cave. I like to keep it in the man cave, Its not near as dirty or dusty. Kinda over the polishing for now, going to work on the seat pan next and get it done. Going to have the wife stitch me a seat. She don't know it yet, but thats the plan.

IMAG0046.jpg

IMAG0049.jpg

IMAG0050.jpg

That's some damn good polishing on those forks. This thing is really coming out nice.

Black shocks, rear set and exhaust and that would be about all the black u would need. UR a polishing pro!! +3 haha ;D

Thanks guys, I'm looking into getting new shocks(chrome with black springs) something better for handling. I'm trying to come in under $1500. I'm at a little under $1000 right now (including bike). Still need rearsets, turn signals, jets and I'm sure there be a few other items I'll need.

Back
Top Bottom