KZ550 bob/Cafe almost there!!!

Thanks man! Yeah, I would definitely say it's an awesome thing. She understands the addiction, loves nice days even more now when she can ride wherever she is going. The course was the best thing for her. I've been riding for 10 years now, she's got 2 under her belt.

Hey Bruno,

I was checking out your tank and the knee dents look really good..... Most of the KZ tanks don't come with those dents naturally in them (like some of the cb's), so my question is what tank is that and how did you go about putting those dents in it?

Hand formed my friend! It's the stock 1982 KZ550 gas tank. I used a few different body hammers, and a small amount of body filler to take care of any dents that were too big. All I can say, is draw a line after you make a template, then go slow. Metal doesn't need a lot of force to be changed, and in actuality, you will get better knee dents if you go very slowly. Here's a shot or two of me doing them. I set the gopro to take a picture every 10 or 30 seconds, can't remember which.

Attachments

• KZprojectpic130hammer1.jpg
    KZprojectpic130hammer1.jpg
    325.9 KB · Views: 467
  • KZprojectpic131hammer1.jpg
    KZprojectpic131hammer1.jpg
    330.3 KB · Views: 462
  • KZprojectpic132hammer1.jpg
    KZprojectpic132hammer1.jpg
    324.1 KB · Views: 456
Take your time and wear ear protection and you will be much happier with the end product, and the fact that you can still hear things... ;)

Some updates, just so other people with KZ550's and TK carbs can get as much as possible

I recently got my hands on an O2 wideband tuning kit (spendy, but awesome) and another carb tuning tool that lets you see into the combustion chamber and tell what's going on (lean or rich) called a Colortune by Gunson.

I had drilled out the pilots to #78 which ends up being .39mm the mixture screws were all almost bottomed out attempting to richen the circuit as much as I could. I was able to get cyl 2/3 to do "OK" and not run lean, but they are 1/4 turn or less from bottom. So I'll be drilling the pilots out ONE more size to the # 77 drill bit, giving me a Pilot size of .44mm I would hope to have some adjust-ability using the mixture screws as now I should be TOO rich with the screws all the way in. This should put me to the almost factory specs of 1 1/4 turn I would hope (crossing fingers)

After the pilot circuit is "fixed" I'll move forward with the O2 sensor and see what's going on with the rest of the rev range. Just thought I would get as much information out there as possible.

Video of the #44 pilot test. I think overall it went well. You can hear the bike wake up a little after I adjust the mixture screws in a little bit more. All 4 cylinders are at 1/4 - 1/2 turns out.

http://youtu.be/wO6a0kyaWFg Will be available in about 40 min from the time I post this.

So as of now what is your set up? 4-1 with pods, #44 pilot and 117 Main? Oh and where is your needle? Up two from stock? Just wanting a referance point. Love the way the bike sounds!!!

goochwarmer said:
So as of now what is your set up? 4-1 with pods, #44 pilot and 117 Main? Oh and where is your needle? Up two from stock? Just wanting a referance point. Love the way the bike sounds!!!

4-4 (each port has its own pipe with baffle) with pods (UNI foam filters) and Yes #44 pilot, 1/4-1/2 turn out on the mixture screws, and 2 washers under each needle.

Back
Top Bottom