How Much do Builders Sell For

Red Fthr

"Man is born free, and he is everywhere in chains"
I enjoy reading interviews that describe a builders procedure or execution. One thing that lacks in these interviews is the overall cost of a build. Yea, you can google various parts add it up and get close, but it doesn't really tell you what, financially, goes into it--or what it would be sold for. Any thoughts on what a proper cafe build or brat bike build would go for? I've seen rare collector bikes sold for $60k+ or Harley Choppers go for $20k+, but there's not much price info for the cafe demographic. Granted, I know there are so many variables that apply here--and finding an average is difficult, but worth asking I suppose.

I'm kinda curious about this too. On sites like this, most guys are doing a lot of their own work, not outsourcing. But there have to be guys out there scooping up turn-key bikes, right?

It aint easy to get $20k you basically have to be roland sands or have an established dealership / shop....check out the banner build ....one of the nicest youll ever see personally i think that bike is worth a high retail with all the carbon fiber etc etc but the builder listed it forsale in the winter and didnt get any bids for $8,000.... That could change with the season but like any sale situation it's not easy lots of competition etc etc

I restored a 1972 CB350 K4 to original. won Best Asian Bike at the Canadian Vintage show. sold for just under $4000.
pprobably had 3500 into it. got the bike for free.,.... sorta of....

Here's one extreme example of a professional, fully custom build. Kevin was only asking $15K for it on eBay and the bidding topped out at $6K. Very few of even the finest custom builds get sold, unless they were a commissioned build in the first place.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SKYPzea08uI

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Loaded-Gun-Customs-Bucephalus-Prototype-Triumph-/321611903117?pt=US_motorcycles&forcerrptr=true&hash=item4ae190308d&item=321611903117&nma=true&si=hiZ8QUlgbwCVjtwHeqUeQpdFzR4%253D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2557

Building a café, custom, whatever with a view to selling it is taking a big chance. You can build what you consider the most beautiful creation but that's not necessarily what the rest of the world may think. My sidecar had about $2500 in cash in it when I brought it out to race first. If you paid me ten bucks an hour for my time it would probably triple that figure. Would I get it back if I sold it? Not a chance! The sad fact is unless you have a name like Ness or some other top builder you're screwed for your time.

I agree with all of the above. :)

I believe there's a very limited market for turn-key Cafe bikes. :)

See, the problem we're looking at here is builders putting together bikes TO BE SOLD. I think the real question is, if you were to commission a builder to build you a bike the way you want it, how much is it going to cost you (ballpark). It's obvious that if someone builds a bike they think is the latest greatest, it probably won't sell for what they have into it, just due to the simple fact that people have different tastes. I could look at almost any build and think "God I love that bike, BUT...." There's always a but. However, if the whole build process and nearly all the details are left in the buyer's hands, I feel like the price would go up, just based on that level of control. So maybe the question is more "How much does it cost to commission a build?"

Put this up for sale once a few years ago. Had offers north of $5K on it. Have about $1,100 in the build (purchase of donor, and all materials to complete. Most of the aluminum/metal I machined bolts, screws, tappet cover, velocity stacks, rearsets, etc out of was free from a machine shop my dad used to work at. Ended up deciding not to sell it. We built everything on it that is aftermarket, outside of the tank. That's where the money goes in to a build, having to buy every little part.

CafeRace_zps7e59995a.jpg

I think the commissioned bikes are in the 8-20k range. Probably starts at 10k on average then the customer wants more done to it where the price escalates. Some places list prices and they want 15k for Cafe with modern suspension. 20k with modern single sided swing arm conversions too. I want to say it's cognito who lists those prices.

The guys that convert savage/s40s into various kits list their prices too. I think it's 6 to 8k.

I bought a CB160 for $100 w title in decent but not restorable shape, sold off parts I wasn't going to use and made $350, got the valves done ($250) and tires and other parts added up to about $250, so I was in $250. It is in no way a show bike, it's more than a little ratty, the engine is stock, I filled and rattle canned the fender and seat bump, made the seat myself, but won a Best Japanese trophy at a bike show (out of maybe 8 -- it was all Harleys and a Harley with a few Triumph bits won best Brit bike!) and I got an offer for $2500. Turned it down -- I'd rather be able to say I'm riding the bike I built for myself and bought for $100...

Tim said:
Here's one extreme example of a professional, fully custom build. Kevin was only asking $15K for it on eBay and the bidding topped out at $6K. Very few of even the finest custom builds get sold, unless they were a commissioned build in the first place.

This also proves Hoofhearted's point -- I wouldn't be caught dead riding something that looked like that, much less paying $6k for it. Opinions are like assholes, everyone's got one and they all stink, I suppose.

Hoofhearted said:
Building a café, custom, whatever with a view to selling it is taking a big chance. You can build what you consider the most beautiful creation but that's not necessarily what the rest of the world may think. My sidecar had about $2500 in cash in it when I brought it out to race first. If you paid me ten bucks an hour for my time it would probably triple that figure. Would I get it back if I sold it? Not a chance! The sad fact is unless you have a name like Ness or some other top builder you're screwed for your time.

You're spot on. I've work on a fair few bikes recently, and usually earn £2-£3 an hour.
Last year took a big gamble, and bought a mint, low mileage Sachs 800 Roadster for £2500.
Spent a further £1900 on it, and got £500 back for the original tank, seat, exhaust.
Sold it for £5000, so made a bit of profit

Attachments

• SACHS 800 2004.jpg
    SACHS 800 2004.jpg
    468.4 KB · Views: 1,654
Ichiban Moto said:
my bike is offered up as a "pre-sale" for $10,000 ;D

I'll give you $11,000.... Doh I still can't get the hang of this bartering lark.

HollywoodMX said:
I think the commissioned bikes are in the 8-20k range. Probably starts at 10k on average then the customer wants more done to it where the price escalates. Some places list prices and they want 15k for Cafe with modern suspension. 20k with modern single sided swing arm conversions too. I want to say it's cognito who lists those prices.

The guys that convert savage/s40s into various kits list their prices too. I think it's 6 to 8k.

I'd have to think that you're right on with that range Hollywood. :D

My first bike, the kz1000, was about 1/2 commissioned by a shop. I aquired some bits myself, did a small amount of work myself and ended up investing about 8 grand. :-\ I learned a LOT in the process about how to do things the right way and used that to spend a LOT less on the Mongrel. While it was a lot of money to spend, I don't regret it in the least. I had zero experience and zero connections at the time. I wanted a bike to ride and I wanted it done right. 8)

I still have a great relationship with the 2 shops I delt with and consult their services when I need some specialized work done or need someone to bounce ideas off. 8)

I think the ONLY way to get in the biz would be by being commissioned to build a customers bike. Obviously, you'd have to have rolling examples of your skills and the ability to get it done in a timely fashion as well. :D

What I'm gathering is, if you're going to build to sell for the masses, don't shoot for more than $6k. However, if you're commissioned then charge what is actually appropriate for invested time. It's kind of a shame that no one really wants to spend more than a few thousand on a well done bike.

Let's throw in some variables, what if the engine is fully rebuilt, what if it's tuned correctly, what if it's nothing exotic but aesthetically pleasing, yet fully functional and user friendly? I mean, you can "what if" all day. But hearing that someone would only dish out $2500 for a bike that runs just as good as it ever did--that doesn't even seem worth it. Hence, why I've never sold my bike to try out something new--I have way too much time and money invested into it, I'd never make it back.

I'm also seeing people that are basically doing nothing to a bike and flipping it for twice as much, driving up the price for basically unrestored bikes. There has to be some worth and differentiation for something that has been rebuilt from the ground up--a margin of more than just 1 or 2k.

Yep, I am currently doing a bike @ $5/hr + parts and supplies commissioned. That is half of minimum wage and will likely just cover the beer consumed in the process but I love working on bikes. The bike needs nothing but a good cleaning, new tires, tune up and the custom touches we have planned. The person paying knows what they want, knows I can do it, and will pay cause they can't do it. That being said the bike should still end up being worth more when done than what it will cost in parts and labour as the changes will all be cosmetic and reversable.

And don't get me wrong, building it to build it is the fun part and bringing something back to life is a reward in itself. I'm not critiquing the soul or lifestyle of building. From an economic perspective though, this model is completely F-ed hahaha. Like mentioned before, unless you're some big name in California, good luck making over minimum wage. I guess that's why it's a hobby, not a businiess ha

Back
Top Bottom