CB750 Cafe Racer Prices- Kott, Carpy, DCC, Lossa et al

redwillissuperman

Keep it simple- engine, wheels, bars
After watching the episodes of Naked Speed, I started wondering how much a CB750 cafe racer is selling for now days?

I tend to stick to twins, but I heard a comment that a CB750 cafe racer is $20,000+. Now there is a big difference between a properly executed moto and something that was dragged behind a truck to the scrap heap but had a foam fantastic 'king and queen" seat cut down into a cafe racer bump.

Now everyone has an opinion on which aesthetic they like better, steel vs fiberglass, wire wheels vs mags, but overall, everyone of these shops produce high quality motos that have looks and performance, as well as quality.

http://youtu.be/BntV6mDQHFo

The reason why I ask, is because things are not cheap like they one were. Donor bikes are priced in $1000's, parts are expensive, even the cost of utilities are going up. UPS and Fedex are still hitting us with a "fuel surcharge" even though oil is down 50%. I bought a billet of aluminum the other day and I had to check that the guy didn't charge me for platinum.

So how much would a bike like this DCC CB750 go for?

honda-cb750-cafe-racer.jpg

Fools and their money are easily parted. Some people have more dollars than sense. Function should have more appeal than fashion, but don't count on it.

The fact of the matter is, despite how trendy they've become, old bikes such as CB750s were pretty plentiful, and despite some people's ideas about what a non-running bike should cost, you can still find them for $300 sometimes. And sure, you can break the bank buying shiny bits to put all over it, but plenty of people still make their own shit.

IMHO, Five grand is sort of an upper limit for a nice SOHC CB750 unless it's something crazy (sandcast, for example, or real period race bike). But opinions are like assholes, everybody's got one.

Last three 750's I bought were $275, $275, and $400. All running, all titled.

You could build what is in the op's post pretty inexpensively, if you didn't have to buy every little part.

Just wondering why the big discrepancy between $5000 and $20000?

An engine rebuild on a CB750 is over $4000, not including all the trick stuff- just pistons, rings, valves, guides, bearings, machining, gaskets and assembly. So even if the bike was $300, $4000 to rebuild the engine, a few quarts of primer, sealer, paint and clearcoat is $5000. New spokes and rims, bars, headlight, tires, electrics and controls is another $3000. Add some labor and materials for modifying the frame, build a seat, and powdecoating and that's $2000.

The K5 that I'm currently working on I bought for $40.

It was a project that some guy started, and then never finished. No title and in pretty rough shape, but the forks were the only thing that I've had to replace that I didn't intend to when I started.

The point is that there are still deals out there if you want to build bikes on the cheap. Its just a matter of finding the ones missing all the bits you didn't want to begin with.

redwillissuperman said:

An engine rebuild on a CB750 is over $4000, not including all the trick stuff- just pistons, rings, valves, guides, bearings, machining, gaskets and assembly. So even if the bike was $300, $4000 to rebuild the engine, a few quarts of primer, sealer, paint and clearcoat is $5000. New spokes and rims, bars, headlight, tires, electrics and controls is another $3000. Add some labor and materials for modifying the frame, build a seat, and powdecoating and that's $2000.
$4K to rebuild an engine...I need to get into that business. Like I said, that is what it cost someone who has to buy every little thing. I'm within a few days of finishing up an 82 CB750, just have to finish building the 4 into 4 exhaust. I'll have right at $1,500 in to it.

redwillissuperman said:

I believe that there are people who would charge $4k to rebuild a CB750 engine -- don't know any, at least none willing to admit it to me -- but I know a shop in the Phoenix area that'll do it for about $500 labor + parts. They're on the inexpensive side (but do great work). I also know a shop in the Phoenix area that would charge closer to $2K, they are on the expensive side btu also do quality work. $4k is insane.

I should also clarify -- when I said $5k would be a top end price, I'm not saying that's what I'd pay, rather that seems a sensible high end for those bikes (with a few exceptions). I bought a '75 CB750 for $300 a few months ago (albeit not running and not titled).

I look at it this way.
It's all up to the person.
Have they ever in the entire time they have had the Café Racer TV show EVER said what the guy actually paid to have his bike built by someone? NO.
Why because it is called sticker shock.
If you have the means to have something done and want a show bike that is still functional and can't do the work yourself it's going to cost.
I like to try and do what I can myself but I also have my local engine builder and mechanic I try and support and keep going.
So I have them help me out on stuff I just don't have the room or tools to do myself.

But if you want to buy a $400 bike and just get it up and running and functional and can do it for less than $1000 then good for you and hope you enjoy. But if you want more like a completely rebuilt, bored, sleeved complete race engine it does cost. You can easily spend over $3000 on just parts including race carbs, pistons and cams.
Yes someone can build engines on the cheap if they are using standard stock parts nothing special if that is what you want.
Like I said it is all up to what you are looking for.

To each his own.
Enjoy what you have and ride like you stole it. ;-)

index.php

I bought this one for $550 running, about an 80% bike and would have restored it but the most expensive part to buy NOS is the exhaust and someone had gutted the mufflers with a hammer and pipe destroying them.

Now, I look long and hard for deals and rarely pay retail for anything other than toilet paper. I paid $150 for the 08-R6 forks, brakes, clamps clip ons and right side controls, another $150 to have Cogneto Moto turn a stem, I had the Pro Taper lever and perch on hand. I bought a set of R6 wheels with tires, rotors, and a sprocket for... all in $80 sniped from eBay. Got a rear brake master and calipers with line for $35 $10 shipping. The pipe has cost me a bit, but still cheap for a custom one off Ti 4 into 1 exhaust, the header is an 05 ZX10R chunk sniped eBay $75 $25 shipping, I bought some other bits and spent another $100 and have enough parts to build 3-5 single headers or another 4-1... then ran across an Akropovic Ti megaphone NIB less hardware for $100, I have put a lot of time in also and welding even doing it yourself is not as cheap as people may think... I have a few things like a pair of swingarms and headlight bucket/brackets misc stuff to maybe $300 more... But I just started the "Build" end of things... Motor, frame modifications, fitting the swingarm, if I upgrade the cam and go big bore the carbs will need re-jetted, while all this is going on, I don't plan to paint so that will be a chunk... Yup probably have over $5K all in and wont get much more than that back... But I didn't sit on the couch all winter haha!

RD :eek:

And yeah... I know my writing skills suck so step off haters.

Tune-A-Fish said:
index.php

I bought this one for $550 running, about an 80% bike and would have restored it but the most expensive part to buy NOS is the exhaust and someone had gutted the mufflers with a hammer and pipe destroying them.

Now, I look long and hard for deals and rarely pay retail for anything other than toilet paper. I paid $150 for the 08-R6 forks, brakes, clamps clip ons and right side controls, another $150 to have Cogneto Moto turn a stem, I had the Pro Taper lever and perch on hand. I bought a set of R6 wheels with tires, rotors, and a sprocket for... all in $80 sniped from eBay. Got a rear brake master and calipers with line for $35 $10 shipping. The pipe has cost me a bit, but still cheap for a custom one off Ti 4 into 1 exhaust, the header is an 05 ZX10R chunk sniped eBay $75 $25 shipping, I bought some other bits and spent another $100 and have enough parts to build 3-5 single headers or another 4-1... then ran across an Akropovic Ti megaphone NIB less hardware for $100, I have put a lot of time in also and welding even doing it yourself is not as cheap as people may think... I have a few things like a pair of swingarms and headlight bucket/brackets misc stuff to maybe $300 more... But I just started the "Build" end of things... Motor, frame modifications, fitting the swingarm, if I upgrade the cam and go big bore the carbs will need re-jetted, while all this is going on, I don't plan to paint so that will be a chunk... Yup probably have over $5K all in and wont get much more than that back... But I didn't sit on the couch all winter haha!

RD :eek:

And yeah... I know my writing skills suck so step off haters.

Sounds like the answer right there. You could EASILY paid double for all those parts and not been crying too hard, and even if you are not shopping deals, that takes serious time to do. If you are trying to feed yourself, you have to get paid for that, and it adds up to a lot of time. Then of course you have to have all the where with all to do all the work, and last I checked welders, lathes and drill presses are right spendy, not to mention more pedestrian tools. And a place to keep everything - shop rent is only free at home, and few have enough space anyway. And how long to actually build the bike? Working full time, in a month? Not with high level fit and finish and a bunch of custom bits. So maybe you end up with 10k in the bike and all the materials and hardware. You can complete a bike every two months and if you sell for 20k, you only have 5k a month to pay the overheads and take the girl out to dinner. Not exactly hangin with the rich kids, but doable. At the end of the day, 20k is a great deal for what it takes to get a unique quality ride, but you will find it next to impossible to sell for that. So for that price, you better be building to spec, and keeping it simple!

Back
Top Bottom